Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Steampunk, Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Saraneth

Steampunk is a genre that I'd absolutely love to get into. However, I don't know where to start, or where to look, for that matter. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding this category of science fiction?

Thanks much in advance.

woodcut.evolution

What have you read already?

I would recommend the classics that pre-date the genre such as the works of Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and Frankenstein by Merry Shelly. These works aren't really steampunk per se, as the heroes aren't really social outcasts, except maybe Frankenstein's Monster, but they deffinetly have the same science fiction aspect to them that steampunk has. For a more contemporary piece I would recomend 'The Diffrence Engine' by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling which is the book credited with the creation of the genre.

Saraneth

I've read Verne, Wells, and Shelly (all quite excellent in their own right), but other than that, I've read absolutely nothing.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Saraneth

Steampunk is sort of a spin-off from cyberpunk. It usually takes place during the Victorian era, and runs on the same dystopian principles as cyberpunk. However, it usually involves machines working on steam, instead of electronics like today. The same technology we have today, just entirely operated on steam, and set in the Victorian era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk <-- There's a possibly good definition.

There are two animes that are steampunk. Steamboy, a stand alone movie done by the director of Akira, and Steam Detectives which is a series, not sure who created it. You might be able to find manga for Steam Detectives.

The Difference Engine is still one of the best steampunk novels out today.

Another excellent steampunk read is Perdido Street Station, by Mieville. There is a sequel The Scar, and although it is also a superb work of fiction it's not the best example of steampunk.

The sequel to my novel in progress will be steampunk.

Anarkos

I have a library copy of The Difference Engine sitting on the shelf behind me.

Looking forward to it, although Gibson is a very...inconsistent writer. All his books mix elements of brilliance with utter shite. I hope in this one the B:S ratio is good...