Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Starting with a bang vs. not so much. (1 Viewer)

ironpony

Oh okay. Thank you for your input! Well another thing about scenario 2 is, in order for the story to go where I want to I want the main character cop to arrest one of the gang members and recover the would be victim of the gang initation test.

So therefore, if he responds to a chase where they are chasing the new recruit, would he even be able to locate the would be victim since the would be victim would not be there in the chase? Maybe he could arrest one of them, and the rest run back to tell the others that the cops are coming and they need to flee, and then the cop after cuffing one of them could follow them there, and then discover the would be victim as the rest of them runaway?

Or is it possible for the cop to find the would be victim in the second scenario?

Lawless

I want the main character cop to arrest one of the gang members and recover the would be victim of the gang initation test.

So therefore, if he responds to a chase where they are chasing the new recruit, would he even be able to locate the would be victim

Maybe the (would-be-)victim goes to the nearest police station on his own accord?

ironpony

Oh okay but the would be victim would not do this because she has things to hide, and so there is no reason for her to go to the police because of other motivations to stay away from them though. I need the police to discover her, without her giving them any freebies if that makes sense. But I am not sure how they would discover her, since by the time they respond to a chase, she would logically be in a different location and long gone?

ironpony

Well if that were to happen and they found her later, the police would not know it was an initiation test though, would they? I need them to figure out that it was an initiation test but is it possible for them to figure that out if they respond afterward?

Kimmikoto

For my screenplay, it's a crime thriller, and the first scene I open with is a crime comitted by the villains that kick starts off the remaining plot. After the opening crime, I then introduce the main character, who is a detective that arrives at the scene to start to investigate the crime.

But I was told by readers that so far, that it's confusing as to who the main character is, because the main character is just a detective, doing regular detective stuff, and we don't know anything interesting about him at this point, so it comes off as he is interested as just any other character, rather than a protagonist, and so reader feels confused and possibly cheated later on when they find out he is the protagonist.

Therefore, I was thinking, should I introduce the protagonist before the opening, and introduce his personal life, and his marriage, etc, before showing the crime that kickstarts things off?

Or is it better to open with more of a bang, such as an opening crime with the villains then opening with a character's more quiet personal life? Thanks for any advice on it! I really appreciate it!
There is nothing wrong with showing off the protagonist with his personal life, gives us better insight into the development of the character. I would introduce the villains right away if you can so we know what is the point of the story. What does the protagonist do with his life? You may want to explain the villain in detail and the crime, so people have a mutual understanding of the is the plot of the story and what direction are you trying to take with your readers.

ironpony

Oh okay, but you are saying to start off with the protagonist and his personal life before introducing the villains then?

Backstroke_Italics

Listen. Please listen to me. I am holding in my hand a five dollar bill. It is yours* if you promise to never start a book on an action beat from the end of the first act, then quickly cut to "three weeks earlier."

*five dollar bill may be a metaphor, a hoax, or a satire about five dollar bills.

• Haha
Reactions: PiP