Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Stand alone fantasy novel... (1 Viewer)

Sephiroth

Does anyone know of any good ones? (That aren't by Eddings, as I detest his stuff). The amount of series' I'm waiting for the next books in is ridiculous, and I just want to read a self contained fantasy novel without having to read another ten million books to find out what happens.

I bought a book today called Shadowmarch by tad Williams thinking it was a stand alone novel...but no, it's number 1 of a trilogy. Boy, was a I an unhappy camper..

Please help.

Walkio

I like Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. There's about thirty of them, but they are stand alone in the sense that each has its own plot. They're hilarious too.

Scarecrow

You know, now that I think of it, I don't believe I've ever seen a single stand-alone fantasy novel. Ever.

It's always a trilogy, or a quartet, or a septet...

Scarecrow said:
You know, now that I think of it, I don't believe I've ever seen a single stand-alone fantasy novel. Ever.

It's always a trilogy, or a quartet, or a septet...

you know i think your right, everytime i think ive read a stand alone book i end up seeing the next one somewhere. I dont mind though, the longer the series the better(if the authors good)

heres a warning though. NEVER read Shannara books by Terry Brooks. There are 1million and there all exactly the same(yea, more so than in most fantasy series)

N

Nilla

There are some out there. One I would really reccommend is Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. It is a stand alone novel with no potential of any others following it. [He does have a new book coming out which is the first of a trilogy, but it's unrelated to Elantris.]

Also, The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle is one I enjoyed.

Can't think of anything else. Hope you find something!

Nilla

p.s I agree about the Terry Brooks comment. If you read One or two of the Shannara books its enjoyable, but once you've read about three, you've realized they're all the same . . . (I've read most of them and really it's the same formula repeating itself over and over again).

Sparx

Whats wrong with series books. Is it so much to ask to read first book in a series and then read the following books once you finished. Their reason their is hardly any stand-alone fantasy books is because the authors create such huge and amazing worlds that can't simply be explored in just one novel.

Stewart

Sparx said:
Whats wrong with series books.
Long and dull and the quality tends to decline as the next volume is released.

Is it so much to ask to read first book in a series and then read the following books once you finished.

Well, it is. Just because you've read the first book in a series doesn't mean the author has finished the second. It would therefore be a lengthy wait between what you suggest.

Their reason their is hardly any stand-alone fantasy books is because the authors create such huge and amazing worlds that can't simply be explored in just one novel.

I doubt it's because the authors "create such huge and amazing worlds" but because the fantasy market is a largely incestuous beast where novels in a multi-book series can be traced back through the family tree of fantasy fiction to Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. One does it; they've all got to do it. Sheep writing.

And should it really be about exploring worlds? I would hope, were I to read more fantasy, that the world would be of little concern in comparison to the story and its characters. Having shit like purple grass described to me by a world-builder serves little purpose in a novel - it feels little more than padding. Much like more than one book in a series. Still, if it keeps them making money by just dragging tales along as long as necessary, then so be it.

wowzer77

Anything by Richard Adams, I talk about him quite a bit..he has some great books.. they are all fiction, but the most like actual "fantasy" would be Shardik. There is a prequel to Shardik, but you dont have to read it really, and I've heard it's not half as good. Shardik is a human saga that starts at the beginning and ends at the end. Sounds like just wat your looking for.

Mishka

Beauty by Sheri S Teper is one that stands out for me.

And I second the vote for Tigana, that's a cracking book.

xx

Spherical Time

Enchantment is a good, stand alone fantasy novel by Orson Scott Card.

Everything else that I can currently think to recommend is a series.

Rhea

I really loved 'Daughter of the Forest' by Juliet Marillier. It IS the first part of a trilogy, BUT it stands alone well. Meaning? You can read the first one without reading the rest, because the story basically ends there. The second one (which I haven't read) seems to be set in the next generation - so whether I read it or not is, I think, of no consequence. Read 'Daughter of the Forest' - it's incredibly romantic in style, I'm female and loved it, and thought it might appeal mostly to females. But I tentatively showed it to a male friend and he loved it, too.