Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Someone kick me in the tush... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnbull

So you guys, I haven't been writing nearly as much as I should be. I have piles and piles of ideas I want to get out there, as well as a blog I want to at least keep half updated, but I've really been struggling lately to actually do my writing when I have time.

Thus it is my request that all of you get on my case and motivate me with stern eyes, judging fingers, and loudly saying "shame!" Or by posting whatever you think will get me to actually do what I need to hear. Insults are welcome.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I can insult you...or I can provide some advice that I give myself. Set a small goal. If it is writing 100 words a day...then do that. Or 50...25 whatever. Make it attainable.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Of your stacks of ideas, do you have a favorite?
Ideas either have legs you can run with, or they don’t. I suggest that you take the best one, and take a page out of the plotters handbook, and sketch the story out. That process can engage and focus you, and that may stir your writing process.

Turnbull

Of your stacks of ideas, do you have a favorite?
Ideas either have legs you can run with, or they don’t. I suggest that you take the best one, and take a page out of the plotters handbook, and sketch the story out. That process can engage and focus you, and that may stir your writing process.
It's not that I don't like my ideas, it's that I get sucked into the internet like a huge slacker.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
giphy.gif

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
It's not that I don't like my ideas, it's that I get sucked into the internet like a huge slacker.
I can certainly identify with that. I often get to the end of a paragraph and reward myself for my grand achievement with a 2 minute break on the www. 2 hours later..... 🤪

As @Taylor says, setting yourself attainable goals can help although I sometimes I find that just adds a level of pressure which my brain rebels against and runs of to argue with people on Facebook!

At the end of the day though (can't believe I used that phrase! :eek: ), the only person who can really give you that kick in the "tush" that you need is you! ;)

Reactions: PiP

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
What is it with the internet? I can't see the attraction much myself. I suppose you might be going on YouTube and watching stories on my Storyshack channel, but there is nothing else on there worth looking at. :)

Matchu

You can look at bums on Reddit/search for the missing refugee girl on the Axis War Forum/Reaction videos also

Terry D

Retired Supervisor
So you guys, I haven't been writing nearly as much as I should be. I have piles and piles of ideas I want to get out there, as well as a blog I want to at least keep half updated, but I've really been struggling lately to actually do my writing when I have time.

Thus it is my request that all of you get on my case and motivate me with stern eyes, judging fingers, and loudly saying "shame!" Or by posting whatever you think will get me to actually do what I need to hear. Insults are welcome.
In all honesty no one else cares if you write. There's no one out there (except maybe your significant other, or your mom) who is waiting breathlessly for the next Turnbull story. This something you need to figure out for yourself. Do you want to 'be a writer,' or do you want to write? Those are two very different things; one's an ego thing and the other is a goal. All the rah-rah, or verbal ass kicking in the world isn't going to make you write. Writing is an evil, nasty, cold-hearted hobby (or business, if that's your ultimate goal), kind of like self-dentistry. I have enough trouble keeping myself motivated to do it. I don't care if you do it or not.

There's a legend about a young violinist who waited outside of Carnegie Hall to meet some great maestro who's name I don't remember. When the master came outside after his concert the young man stopped him and begged for the older man to listen to him play and tell him if he was good enough to keep pursuing his dream. Finally the master agreed and the young man quickly got out his violin and started playing. After just a short time the older man stopped him and said, "You do not have the fire." Dejected, the novice put away his instrument and walked away.

When he was out of sight, the master's companion asked, "Maestro, how could you tell he didn't have the fire after hearing so little?"

The master replied, "I can't. No one can. All I know is, if he truly does have what it takes to be great, nothing anyone says can stop him. If he doesn't, nothing anyone says can give it to him."

Turnbull

Ah yes, just what every depressed person wants to hear: "no one cares."

I firmly disagree with your statement, Terr. A thing done well benefits all. A good story influences culture and the state of writing. It encourages and uplifts people, both in terms of life and also in terms of making people believe good writing exists. As opposed to things like Twilight getting popular, or movies caring more about computer graphics than story. No, even if people don't outwardly care, they truly do, because all people want to exist in a state of literary excellence. Or at least books with fun ideas.

It's the same with any art or industry. If it's good, even if a person isn't a direct beneficiary, they get to live in a world where said art or industry exists at a quality state. I do not go out of my way eat gluten free foods as a rule, but I like that people with celiac have options, and thus the world is a better place for the work of the gluten free crowd.

Matchu

Although - if you needed a fillip - I think that is the word - the scene with the maestro would make a good opener - and I think the maestro would make a good bad good guy for our movie collaboration - set in the rain, the young violinist smashing his instrument against the theatre doors - and his subsequent rise to power - his great speech to the proletarian masses, the maestro assassinated in reel 3

Turnbull

Although - if you needed a fillip - I think that is the word - the scene with the maestro would make a good opener - and I think the maestro would make a good bad good guy for our movie collaboration - set in the rain, the young violinist smashing his instrument against the theatre doors - and his subsequent rise to power - his great speech to the proletarian masses, the maestro assassinated in reel 3
Lol, dude, what the heck?

Cephus

That's really the thing though, nobody can get all over your case. You have to do it. Writing comes 100% from within. You either want to do it or you don't. You are either personally committed to doing it or you're not. Pick one. Stick with it. Nobody else really has a vested interest in what you do. It's all you, baby. Make the best of it.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
In all honesty no one else cares if you write. There's no one out there (except maybe your significant other, or your mom) who is waiting breathlessly for the next Turnbull story. This something you need to figure out for yourself. Do you want to 'be a writer,' or do you want to write? Those are two very different things; one's an ego thing and the other is a goal. All the rah-rah, or verbal ass kicking in the world isn't going to make you write. Writing is an evil, nasty, cold-hearted hobby (or business, if that's your ultimate goal), kind of like self-dentistry. I have enough trouble keeping myself motivated to do it. I don't care if you do it or not.
That is a very personal view, Terry. For a lot of people it is more like making music, you don't have to be a world beater to enjoy that, it is the actual creative process that is enjoyable as much as it is the end product. You have to practice, sure, but it is a sort of therapy too. Even if you are Johnny no mates and your mom died years ago just writing for yourself is a valid activity.

Cephus

It doesn't matter what you want to hear, it matters what you NEED to hear. That's the truth, no matter how it makes you feel. You don't need cheerleaders, you need personal dedication. Professional authors don't run around and play sob buddy when someone else gets into a funk. They tell them to get back to work. Writing isn't a group activity. It's you against yourself. It's you deciding this is something you really want to do and making sure that you accomplish it. This is the difference between successful writers and amateurs. One gets the job done. One looks for excuses for not doing it.

Make a choice and follow through. Nobody said this was easy. In fact, no professional writer will ever lie to you that way.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I firmly disagree with your statement, Terr. A thing done well benefits all. A good story influences culture and the state of writing. It encourages and uplifts people, both in terms of life and also in terms of making people believe good writing exists. As opposed to things like Twilight getting popular, or movies caring more about computer graphics than story. No, even if people don't outwardly care, they truly do, because all people want to exist in a state of literary excellence. Or at least books with fun ideas.
It will only have influence as far as it is shared, the story may be profound but if a, not many people read it. And if b, most of them fail to recognise its profundity it will have very little effect on the wider culture. Most people recognise profundity when it is pointed out to them, that's what things like book clubs are about.
It can, however, have a profound effect on the person writing it. Only one person, but they are learning to organise their thoughts, and what those thoughts are. It doesn't have to be about improving the world and being amazing and very sought after by four o'clock, it can be about self exploration and indulgence. That's valid.
"There is always another way to kill a cat" as my Mum said.

KatPC

Dear @Turnbull,
I apologise to all for bypassing your comments, though views can be aligned and strong, it doesn't necessarily help an individual. Writing is individual, it can be cathartic, a release for some, it can be a creative endeavor, it can be a job, it can be a hobby or simply fun, but I think it is safe to say that regardless of your aims and ambitions, writing is riled with mountains we have to climb.

Depression is not an easy word nor topic to speak about, and 'support' is not merely voicing your viewpoint, but to show understanding and a duty of care. Turnbull, it is very brave of you to speak out to seek a prod to spark motivation but sometimes this doesn't always work. Your thread shows there is a hidden passion to write, to create, and everything starts with small changes. If idling watching the web is comforting, that's okay, but make the step to stop and just stare at that blank screen again. Everyday dedicate 5 minutes to the white in front of you, write a title. write your anger, slowly build back a routine so you can write and in time, you can let your mind build the stories for people to read. Small steps, one at a time.

Good luck

Turnbull

Lol, all this loner stuff is making me depressed. I come here for fellowship, and it's all like, "nah, writing is for yourself."

It is, and it isn't. But you don't have to baby me about it. You're okay expressing your opinions, even if I don't agree with them. Just expected different reactions. Like, when I ask for a kick in the tush, I was kinda hoping y'all'd put on some steel toed boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.