Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Somebody Beat Me About The Head With A Wet Kipper! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
This thread's about habits you've got yourself into that are detrimental to your writing but you struggle to stop yourself falling into those habits.

I'm already suffering from my long term habit and it's driving me nuts AGAIN. I write with the intention of continuing until I've finished the first draft. I'm not going to go back and revise ... this is it ... let's finish firsts. Then I think, 'well, it can't hurt to just tighten it up a little." So I tighten it up a little, maybe rewrite a little too. Every time I come back to write more, I refresh my memory by reading through what I've written before. Now, when I continue, I've got the quality of the revised version in my head and feel a need to match it going forward. Then, guess what ... I do the same thing again. Each revision gets tighter and better until I eventually arrive at a point where I'm struggling to move forward and can't just let my pen flow. I'm there again with The Glass Tulip.

Someone beat me over the head with a wet kipper!

Last edited:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Damn, I can never lay my hands on that kipper when I want it :)

I really must get a proper computer with proper software and stop mucking about on two unsatisfactory bases which I can't join up.

This is part of the logic of reading all my shorts on to YouTube, at least they are in one place and available.

TheMightyAz

Mentor

I really must get a proper computer with proper software and stop mucking about on two unsatisfactory bases which I can't join up.

This is part of the logic of reading all my shorts on to YouTube, at least they are in one place and available.

I watched a couple. Nice stories. :)

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I can't really relate to this...I wish I was that much of a perfectionist. I don't even know what a "wet kipper" is.

But, what about this? Try focusing on the essence of the story and use the words that first come to mind. See if it works as is. Does it really need to be that tight? "Tight" is a matter of opinion anyway. Just my two cents. But you're the master...continue on... :)

Last edited:

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I can't really relate to this...I wish I was that much of a perfectionist. I don't even know what a "wet kipper" is.

But, what about this? Try focusing on the essence of the story and use the words that first come to mind. See if it works as is. Does it really need to be that tight? "Tight" is a matter of opinion anyway. Just my two cents. But you're the master...continue on... :)

It's too late now with this story. I'll have to press on a paragraph at a time and get it done. The next short I'm going to go for it and not look back. I have to break this habit!

TheMightyAz

Mentor
This wasn't actually meant to be a thread for advise. It was meant to be a thread about what habits you've got yourself into that are detrimental to your writing.

Llyralen

I just learned Olly has shorts on YouTube. I will watch!

Llyralen

Nanowritmo has pushed some people into “Complete draft, then go back” mode. Nanowritmo is intense. I found that it didn’t work for me with my job, but I sure hope it will work for you you or others. They usually have a writers camp in April.

For me... yeah I need to figure out how to finish my projects as well.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Intrigued by this thread, I have been trying to think of personal habits that are detrimental to my writing, but I'm drawing a blank. However, if there is one thing that bugs me about my writing habits, it's the fact that when writing fiction, I struggle to write more than a 1000 words a day. Typically, it's more like 500-700. I'll spend hours researching, so I guess you have to factor that in. And I don't have a problem actually writing, as evidenced by the amount of time I spend on this forum. It's just actually writing words for the novel. I've tried not to worry about it, because to date I'm very happy with what I have, and when I go back to reread, I don't feel an urge to rework in any major way. Usually just a few words or commas.

When I was writing policy, or manuals, I could easily write 2000 plus words daily, for seven or eight hours straight each day. Of course, I was getting paid by the hour, so no room to procrastinate or ruminate, but I'm not sure that was the only reason. I'm a pretty disciplined person when I want to get something accomplished.

I was trying to figure out why it is so different writing fiction, and the only thing I can think of is that the canvas is so bare. You can go anywhere you want, so you have to really think very hard about where you are going. Also, I am very visual, so I pull up every scene in my head and picture every detail. That can be tiring. Plus, this particular plot is very complex and I don't want to end up with holes. But mostly, after one scene my brain just shuts off and says, "Ok that's enough for today!"

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Intrigued by this thread, I have been trying to think of personal habits that are detrimental to my writing, but I'm drawing a blank. However, if there is one thing that bugs me about my writing habits, it's the fact that when writing fiction, I struggle to write more than a 1000 words a day. Typically, it's more like 500-700. I'll spend hours researching, so I guess you have to factor that in. And I don't have a problem actually writing, as evidenced by the amount of time I spend on this forum. It's just actually writing words for the novel. I've tried not to worry about it, because to date I'm very happy with what I have, and when I go back to reread, I don't feel an urge to rework in any major way. Usually just a few words or commas.

When I was writing policy, or manuals, I could easily write 2000 plus words daily, for seven or eight hours straight each day. Of course, I was getting paid by the hour, so no room to procrastinate or ruminate, but I'm not sure that was the only reason. I'm a pretty disciplined person when I want to get something accomplished.

I was trying to figure out why it is so different writing fiction, and the only thing I can think of is that the canvas is so bare. You can go anywhere you want, so you have to really think very hard about where you are going. Also, I am very visual, so I pull up every scene in my head and picture every detail. That can be tiring. Plus, this particular plot is very complex and I don't want to end up with holes. But mostly, after one scene my brain just shuts off and says, "Ok that's enough for today!"

I have been very slow with my output however I will give some good or redundant advice depending on the person. I'd research people in history and events. It's has been my only alternative since I don't have a library. The closest thing I have that I can try for fiction is kindle unlimited. I have been researching some Russian History and got inspired in the process. Having said that it does take a lot of time. But I wish someone just told me, don't write what you know. Also, you can base your story on real events such as history. I wish newspapers were available to me. But I don't want to sign up for a newspaper just to write a story. All the news stories are about coronavirus and politicians. I do get a newspaper at my house. There are no local news.

I know you probably did this already. I think its a slow process in me of that is showing me that the internet makes writer's block a myth. Which is the truth. I don't have a library near me so this is the best I can manage. I think since I am trying this new approach I will most likely increase my output. It's a lot of research.

EternalGreen

I write kind of like that. I edit each chapter as I go. Then, I go back and edit a lot more.

I do this for motivation currently. I want to see chapter after chapter and have it be good. I cannot for the life of me pour months of effort into a rough draft that is (and all rough drafts are) effectively trash. It's nice to hold something tangible (such as a chapter) of a quality that is only one session or so of editing away from being reading for submission.

Maybe we should both cut this out. Who knows. On a good afternoon I can produce 1,200 words or so that only need touching up.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I write kind of like that. I edit each chapter as I go. Then, I go back and edit a lot more.

I do this for motivation currently. I want to see chapter after chapter and have it be good. I cannot for the life of me pour months of effort into a rough draft that is (and all rough drafts are) effectively trash. It's nice to hold something tangible (such as a chapter) of a quality that is only one session or so of editing away from being reading for submission.

Maybe we should both cut this out. Who knows. On a good afternoon I can produce 1,200 words or so that only need touching up.

A lot of my first drafts are pretty decent. I think there are two elements to this, firstly practice, things like punctuation have got better over the years. Secondly my other main occupation is gardening, and there are a lot of mundane jobs, like hoeing, that allow plenty of time to mull over ideas, so that by the time I sit down to write it up I know where I am going.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
A lot of my first drafts are pretty decent. I think there are two elements to this, firstly practice, things like punctuation have got better over the years. Secondly my other main occupation is gardening, and there are a lot of mundane jobs, like hoeing, that allow plenty of time to mull over ideas, so that by the time I sit down to write it up I know where I am going.

I'm unemployed so all I do is think about stories. The one thing I'm never stuck for is a story!

Status
Not open for further replies.