Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Soapbox Poetics (1 Viewer)

arkayye

`

Into a new dark age
we go, marching,
careening headlong

[of soapbox poetry
there is no want
for many a voice
loudly rail and rant]

the terrain of our
condition and that
of our experience
has changed over
year upon year of
progress that has brought
us closer to the edge
of a generation that
lives on the horizon

itself

peering further on

beyond

to challenges invisible
to our yet untrained minds

so a new era begins
pioneering unexplored
vastnesses and
before unrecognised
darknesses

while on the remotest reaches
bright lights we have yet

to define and harness
beckon
to our whetted appetite
for tomorrows

Into itself, beyond vast darkness, remote lights beckon our tomorrow.

`
asoapbox1.JPG

Last edited:

Trides

Good stuff. You forgot to make "beckon" blue, though.
Interesting... I am reminded of 1984... going into darkness while expecting a bright future. However, this seems quite hopeful and motivational. Nice job.

arkayye

Good stuff. You forgot to make "beckon" blue, though.
Interesting... I am reminded of 1984... going into darkness while expecting a bright future. However, this seems quite hopeful and motivational. Nice job.

Thank you kindly. You are much appreciated.

Segrotlo

Interesting - after repeated reading it said more.

I take it as the expression of youth wondering what is being left for them to have to deal with. Scary stuff.

careening headlong

"Careening" is to veer off course whereas "headlong" would be to move on said course without regard to consequences. Having said that, it may be an accurate description of where things are headed.

Again - interesting.

arkayye

Interesting - after repeated reading it said more.

I take it as the expression of youth wondering what is being left for them to have to deal with. Scary stuff.

"Careening" is to veer off course whereas "headlong" would be to move on said course without regard to consequences. Having said that, it may be an accurate description of where things are headed.

Again - interesting.

That was the general idea in putting those two words and arriving at a compound concept: To move in a resolute course of veering off. Sometimes we are caught in a process whose wheels have began their motion and there is no brakes with which to stop or steering wheel with which to change direction. I remember being in a pick-up truck once, on a gravel road, and the nuts and bolts connecting the steering wheel to the steering column disengaged, sending us off course, on loose rocks and ended up crashing into an open ditch just before a concrete culvert and a rather large tree... Scary experience.

Sometimes the baton in a relay is not as desirable as it could be. But we will have to run with it anyway. Thanks for sharing your thoughts birthed from your reading(s) of this poem. You are most appreciated.

Snowball13

This gives me hope for the future. Maybe we can make something out of this mess that we call home?
I really like your poem in any case. Especially that you integrated that sentence into it. Isn't that how life goes, too? There's not always just the obvious; if you look really close you'll find something else. Literally reading "between" the lines.
Thanks for sharing!

arkayye

This gives me hope for the future. Maybe we can make something out of this mess that we call home?
I really like your poem in any case. Especially that you integrated that sentence into it. Isn't that how life goes, too? There's not always just the obvious; if you look really close you'll find something else. Literally reading "between" the lines.
Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, kindly. You are much appreciated.