Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

So why is this? (1 Viewer)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
So they canceled all the celebrations for Diwali and for Haj to stop the spread of infection. Now Boris is saying he will cancel the ten o'clock curfew and allow pubs and restaurants to open before we all get together for our Christmas celebrations, several explanations strike me as possible.

It doesn't matter if Christians die because it is the true religion and they will go to Heaven.
Hindus and Moslems are irresponsible people who can't be trusted to celebrate sensibly.
Hindus and Moslems are responsible people who don't want to cause any unnecessary deaths.
The people who are actually in charge told Boris they don't want to lose any more income.

Meanwhile in Australia I see they are taking a chance and opening the border between Victoria and New South Wales, one has no cases and is relaxing its rules about wearing masks at all times in public, inside and out, the other has no new cases and eleven in supervised isolation. It can be done, we could be rid of this, so why not even try?

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
So they canceled all the celebrations for Diwali and for Haj to stop the spread of infection. Now Boris is saying he will cancel the ten o'clock curfew and allow pubs and restaurants to open before we all get together for our Christmas celebrations, several explanations strike me as possible.

It doesn't matter if Christians die because it is the true religion and they will go to Heaven.
Hindus and Moslems are irresponsible people who can't be trusted to celebrate sensibly.
Hindus and Moslems are responsible people who don't want to cause any unnecessary deaths.
The people who are actually in charge told Boris they don't want to lose any more income.

Meanwhile in Australia I see they are taking a chance and opening the border between Victoria and New South Wales, one has no cases and is relaxing its rules about wearing masks at all times in public, inside and out, the other has no new cases and eleven in supervised isolation. It can be done, we could be rid of this, so why not even try?

I don't think it's so much about being rid of it, Olly. Even if there are no new cases for a while, it's still lurking and there will be human-to-human transmission routes crop up - sporadically at first. Due to the exponential nature of the spreading and the delay in noticing symptoms (if any occur), we won't be free of this until herd immunity is achieved or an effective vaccine is rolled out. If all cases had symptoms and we noticed them within a few hours, we might be able to stop it without a vaccine, but that isn't the case.

dither

WF Veterans
Mr.Buckle, not looking for an argument, what do I know ? But:

Diwali, as I understand it, is in the [locked down] here and now. Christmas is farther down the line.

But yes they do seem to contradict themselves quite a bit.

Matchu

In dark times when Britain cannot celebrate Christ together in a pub, we can but surround coat hangers in tissue paper, light our candles, observe balloons of hope twinkle beyond pylons over fields of nocturnal cows. GSTQ, astrology is British, death to vaccines.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I see in the paper this morning that Johnson and Hancock are being taken to court for appointing their chums to head the test and trace and vaccine action without advertising or interviewing. No wonder test and trace didn't work and we are paying way over the odds for vaccines. Still, now he has let the Home secretary off for breaking the ministerial code I expect she will let him off. You couldn't make it up.

Reactions: PiP

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
The loonies are now running the asylum. If this was a TV series the level of corruption would seem far fetched. Jobs for the 'Old Boys' network, Olly.

As for all the focus on Christmas, with the number of rising deaths from COVID some people ought to get a life and think beyond stuffing their face with Turkey, having a pee up and present orgy. Just be thankful your family are alive and well, even if you can't get together. When a member of your family has COVID and has spent many hours queuing in a hospital, knowing there are no beds, waiting for a chest X-ray and what will happen if they are too sick to go home.... trust me...it puts Christmas into perspective.

eta. There should be exceptions for the elderly.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Now I read that Alex Allen wanted to interview Sir Phillip Rutman about his dealings with Patel. But because he resigned and is suing the government for constructive dismissal because of the way she went on they said 'Outstanding legal case' and didn't allow him to. His resignation was the original reason for an independent enquiry, but they were not allowed to consider it ! Madness.

Despite that Allen was able to find evidence of Patel bullying in three other separate departments, but Johnson, uniquely, refused to accept the evidence of an independent enquiry.

Reactions: PiP

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
From this side of the pond your 'Founding Fathers' were a bunch of rebel Englishmen, maybe the odd Frenchman, and we all know what English rebels are like. :)

Bet they couldn't define liberty. I think in those days it meant not having to pay your taxes, but ordinary people can't get away with that for long, bet it costs to be American.

Xander416

From this side of the pond your 'Founding Fathers' were a bunch of rebel Englishmen, maybe the odd Frenchman, and we all know what English rebels are like. :)

Bet they couldn't define liberty. I think in those days it meant not having to pay your taxes, but ordinary people can't get away with that for long, bet it costs to be American.
You're just mad we won. :pirate:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
You're just mad we won. :pirate:

No, like I said , they were a bunch of Englishmen, we won. Our cause is debatable sometimes, but we usually win. We also lost but that is inevitable in civil wars. At least we didn't lose what you did, we are still British. :)

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
bet it costs to be American.

In our travels in England and Wales (which was a while back) I always thought it interesting that prices in the stores and menus looked just the same as in the US. The caveat was the prices were in pounds, which at that time meant everything cost 50%+ more than over here. Then there was the 17% VAT on top of that, which is more than double what most sales taxes in the US were (some have raised since then, but generally not close to that high). Gasoline cost per liter what we were paying per gallon, so almost four times as much. Friends told us they paid by the minute for every phone call (just long distance here).

We did find entry to stately homes seemed a bargain.

matthew1959

The cost to be an American depends on where you live. Living in a farming town in Central Illinois isn't all that expensive, even with the ridiculous taxes.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
The cost to be an American depends on where you live. Living in a farming town in Central Illinois isn't all that expensive, even with the ridiculous taxes.

It's the same in the UK. the average 3500 sq. foot home will cost you $300K where I live in the USA. It will cost $2 million in parts of LA, $6 million in San Francisco, and $4 million in certain London neighborhoods. In Devon (much less urban, and I pick because I have extensive experience with the county) it looks to be $1.5 million to $3 million.