Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

So... How'd Your Day Go? (4 Viewers)

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I finally did something I've wanted to do for months, but had things in the way, plus no immediate need (until my next book gets to the proofing stage).

My proofreading app works great except for just one ... little ... thing. The function I found to split the entire document into discrete sentences had an odd and not very helpful behavior. Occasional segments of text got stuck into the middle of the wrong place. This wasn't an insoluble problem for me after I reconstructed the document after my proofread, but it's not something I'd want to ask someone else to cope with.

Researching alternate methods, I came across the information that a later version of SQL Server has its own function to split text. However, I don't have that version of SQL Server on my AWS server, but I do locally. So tonight I FINALLY backed up my ProofAid database, downloaded it to my computer, and restored it to the local SQL Server. I modified my procedure to use the new built-in function, and viola ... no misplaced sentences. :) I tested it against the Sentence Table for "Tiny Magic, Big Heart", which had two sentences from the end of chapter two stuck onto the end of chapter one. Using the new function, they were in the correct order. :)

So if I ever want to put this into production for other users, I just have to configure an AWS virtual machine with a more recent SQL Server. As a bonus, the new function is considerably faster than the old handwritten method.

Last edited:

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I've spent my last day in the UK packing the car after over four weeks of travelling and bed hopping through Spain, France and finally UK. It's amazing just how much crap we have acquired, from a must have rustic stool bought in France to our Christmas goodies such as M&S cake and pudding and a host of other sundries including product which turns our hydrangeas from pink to blue . Our return trip will include a trip via a supermarket to purchase o10 bottles of Laurias gin... in Spain.... for friends of course!

Last edited:

Guy Faukes

WF Veterans
Tried to get back onto the forum after a couple years off to find that my passwords and email didn't register. Thankful for the rapid mods we have here on the forum.

A couple hours before, I found a small watermelon growing in the garden. It's a bit late, probably won't reach an edible size but it's about the size of a tennis ball right now and is adorable.

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
Will be moving over the next two months. It is a bittersweet thing for us, as we've been without our "own home" for ten years, now. I am looking forward to getting settled in under my own roof. The good thing is a lot of our stuff is already boxed up, but I know we are going to be doing a big clean-out to downsize and get rid of useless things.
Life can sure throw a curveball at you. I can fully appreciate that old saying " If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans." :)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Will be moving over the next two months. It is a bittersweet thing for us, as we've been without our "own home" for ten years, now. I am looking forward to getting settled in under my own roof. The good thing is a lot of our stuff is already boxed up, but I know we are going to be doing a big clean-out to downsize and get rid of useless things.
Life can sure throw a curveball at you. I can fully appreciate that old saying " If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans." :)
Tip for downsizing. Put the essentials, like birth certificate, passport, driving licence, to one side; then go through everything else. If you have used it in the last six months keep it, if not lose it. You can extend the time period slightly for seasonal things, like Xmas decorations and winter clothing, but throw away everything that "Might be useful", keep only that which is used.
We once downsized from a three bedroom house to a thirty foot coach on that principle.

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
Good tip, Olly. Thanks! That was a huge downsize you made. I see the attraction, though. We truly have so much that we don't need.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
The thing you must never do is rent storage to put the stuff in 'For the moment'. I know people who did that years ago and it's still there, people have become millionaires running storage facilities.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
So,I am planning on buying these two books. One teaches observation ( observation journal). and to describe using the 5 senses and talks about the subject of sensory detail. The other one teaches how to compose a narrative text like a composition student probably would. I assume if I buy these I will take less time writing descriptions and narration which almost left me burned out for all the missing transitions in my latest story in the workshop. The second book explains how to create a sentence that creates a sense of movement.

Writing Strategies for the Common Core: Integrating Reading Comprehension Into the Writing Process, Grades 6-8 (Maupin House)

Creating Texts: An Introduction to the Study of Composition (English Language)

The faster I write a short story the more productive I think I wil be. I am waiting when it turns into the 25th of the current month. Then I will be able to buy these two books. So I don't have to wait these will be kindle.

I took all of today using my time to search books to solve this old problem concerning my style. After buying some college readers I think a book that dedicated itself to narration is better. An observation journal seems to be just what I need.

Last edited:

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
After five weeks away the critters have made themselves at home in my house and garden. I was in the veg patch earlier picking a lettuce for supper when I noticed a blunt nose type viper slithering straight towards me. I am terrified of snakes. Much to my surprise I managed to remain completely still and never uttered a sound as he disappeared under the lavender bush we had pruned this morning.

Turnbull

sigh I had a weary day. I was avoiding coffee to keep from having heartburn, but the acid is still coming on up. I'm pretty sure my surgery failed.

Lawless

avoiding coffee to keep from having heartburn, [---]. I'm pretty sure my surgery failed.
Wanna give qigong a try? I haven't had surgeries. but the exercises from a book by Lam Kam Chuen skyrocketed my immunity after a couple of months of regular practice.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
sigh I had a weary day. I was avoiding coffee to keep from having heartburn, but the acid is still coming on up. I'm pretty sure my surgery failed.
I feel for you. I suffer from heartburn. I have compile a list of foods and/or food combinations I must avoid or suffer the consequences. :( I tried some kombucha when I was in the UK and it helped. https://www.tuasaude.com/en/benefits-of-kombucha/

Foxee

Patron
Patron
My day so far:
4:05 am Text notification sound from my phone, ignored and went back to sleep.
4:06 am Text notification #2. My adult daughter is sick and needs to ask if I can help with the grandbaby. I'll deal with it when I get up....later.
5:55 am Alarm clock goes off for me to wake up the 15 year old who keeps resisting using an alarm clock. Turned his light on, banged on his wall, and texted my husband (who was downstairs) to please deal with the teenager this morning so I could go back to sleep. No answer from husband, went downstairs to tell him in person and he was fine with it. Went thankfully back to bed for a little while longer.
6:29 am Text notification #3. Figured it was a followup from my daughter still asking for help. I'll get to it. Went back to sleep.
6:45 am alarm went off that I forgot to shut off...the last-ditch one in case my teenager slept through everything and has to be rushed out the door. Turned it off and went back to sleep.
6:52 am Phone rings - it's the baby's Primary Grandma who has no problem at all with waking me up and wants to tell me that my daughter needs help today because she is sick. Primary Grandma's busy dropping the baby off at my daughter's apartment (she keeps the baby most nights) so my daughter already only has the baby today from 7-2. I told her I would contact my daughter and figure it out once I was cognizant. No real apology for waking me. Go figure.
7:00 am gave up trying to sleep and stuck clothes on, slammed a cup of coffee and looked at the day.
Analysis: Impossible day.
Recommendation: Go back to bed.
Disappointment: can't carry out that plan.

I sorted out a plan which included getting my homeschooling youngest daughter's lessons all lined up for her, printed worksheets, etc. so that didn't have to take her to my oldest daughter's house where the germs are. Figured I could play with the baby for a few hours so my oldest could shower and nap.

Paying the mortgage, ironing my husband's pants for an interview today (I despise ironing), calling for a doc's appointment, figuring out supper, rewriting the garbled grocery list for my husband, and grabbing a piece of toast all seemed very doable before I had to leave.

Proceeded to get an hour later than I told my daughter I'd be there because I often underestimate how much time things are going to take me to do.

As I was finally getting to where I could get out the door to go over to the daughter's, she texted me. Her friend can watch the baby after all. No need to come over.

When plans change like that and I'm working through a mental list this is like a GPS recalibrating: Big awkward pause, rude sound, and then new instructions in a faintly accusatory tone.

It's 1:00 pm and life looks a little more possible (especially since I had three cups of coffee). I should be able to get things done and get turned around for a meeting I want to go to tonight.

Already looking forward to bed. Might need to banish my phone from the bedroom, though.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Already looking forward to bed. Might need to banish my phone from the bedroom, though.
A major advantage of being a member on a site like this is: Writers. Not only Foxee, but many of us, can take a bad day story and spin it into anything ... sympathy, lesson, comedy, drama. Our choice, and we can do it effectively. Thanks for the journaling, Foxee. :)