Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

So... How'd Your Day Go? (2 Viewers)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
/\ /\ I bought socks myself recently, 14 pairs cotton, black, identical. It makes pairing them up after the wash so much easier
My wife has this weird concept of Fun Socks ... she has socks in every color and pattern ever conceived - and some even have separate sleeves for her toes.
I don't get it.
White athletic socks for me - that's it. Beyond that, my wardrobe consists of jeans, t-shirts, and athletic shoes - and motorcycle boots at times.
I think life is much simpler for men than it is for women.

Reactions: PiP

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Today the grandkids INSISTED we went to Burger King for lunch. Uninspired by the choice of restaurant I ordered a cheese burger, chips and coffee. Okay, I am a self-confesses food snob so a fast food joint is never going to feature on my bucket list ...and while I may be more rotunda than siilphlike, my body is a temple and I don't eat junk food. Think laughing Buddha ...

Mr PiP and daughter entered the scrum's inner sanctum to place our order while I waited with the grandkids in the outside eating area.

My meal finally arrived in two paper packages. The burger in one and salt with chips in the other. I peeled back the burger bun to reveal ... the thinnest burger I have ever seen plastered in a disgusting mayonnaise and a vile ketchup which I can only discribe as pureed vomit. Yuck yuck yuck. The burger was so thin and rubbery it was like the sole of a shoe so I dread to think what type of food glue held it together. The slice of cheese reminded me of melted plastic and the onions defy description.

As I suspected the combo tasted disgusting so after nibbling daintily around the edges for a few minutes I tried to extract the burger and remove the vomit and melted plastic cheese. No way. In the absence of cutlery. I tried to use the serviette which then bonded to the cheese and added an interesting texture as it dissolved into the sauce. At this point I decided to quit while ahead and next time I would choose the restaurant.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Today the grandkids INSISTED we went to Burger King for lunch. Uninspired by the choice of restaurant I ordered a cheese burger, chips and coffee. Okay, I am a self-confesses food snob so a fast food joint is never going to feature on my bucket list ...and while I may be more rotunda than siilphlike, my body is a temple and I don't eat junk food. Think laughing Buddha ...

Mr PiP and daughter entered the scrum's inner sanctum to place our order while I waited with the grandkids in the outside eating area.

My meal finally arrived in two paper packages. The burger in one and salt with chips in the other. I peeled back the burger bun to reveal ... the thinnest burger I have ever seen plastered in a disgusting mayonnaise and a vile ketchup which I can only discribe as pureed vomit. Yuck yuck yuck. The burger was so thin and rubbery it was like the sole of a shoe so I dread to think what type of food glue held it together. The slice of cheese reminded me of melted plastic and the onions defy description.

As I suspected the combo tasted disgusting so after nibbling daintily around the edges for a few minutes I tried to extract the burger and remove the vomit and melted plastic cheese. No way. In the absence of cutlery. I tried to use the serviette which then bonded to the cheese and added an interesting texture as it dissolved into the sauce. At this point I decided to quit while ahead and next time I would choose the restaurant.
Due to my prior life circumstances, I can't handle any spicy or greasy food - and am very cautious when going to a restaurant or when I encounter strange food at someone's home. At familiar restaurants I have one, maybe two items on the menu I know I can eat without consequence. When going to someone's home, I try to warn them, and even then usually eat something before leaving home; if they've made something suspicious I politely bow out, My wife will try eating anything, and I think being around me is somewhat frustrating for her.

Reactions: PiP

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Due to my prior life circumstances, I can't handle any spicy or greasy food - and am very cautious when going to a restaurant or when I encounter strange food at someone's home. At familiar restaurants I have one, maybe two items on the menu I know I can eat without consequence. When going to someone's home, I try to warn them, and even then usually eat something before leaving home; if they've made something suspicious I politely bow out, My wife will try eating anything, and I think being around me is somewh
I feel for you. We have several friends with dietary restrictions ... so I am always mindful of what I cook and how to accommodate their needs so everyone feels comfortable.

Sinister

So, my laptop has been hacked. If I open it, then my internet goes dark. My personal information has already been harvested and my accounts duly frozen. Thankfully, this is my laptop with all of my stories saved on it and I'm going to have to nuke it. Don't pay attention to my sarcasm, tho, all that stuff is completely recoverable. And the machine is relatively new so it doesn't have anything too valuable. Just some stories and a bunch of old Italian horror and giallo films.

T-storms coming in soon. I'm looking to bottle more wine today and find someplace to workshop my story on the forums, if I have the spare time. Definitely going to try and get my blog entry done. We'll see, though.

But right now, with storms headed here, it's time to relax with some buttered-toast smothered in cherry preserves and a giant mug of hot coffee.

This is prolly going to be a 5/10 type day.

-Sin

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Finally had my cataract surgery on my left eye, but after 4 days my lens is still cloudy, so I'm not happy; however, was it worse that having an infected tooth pulled (OUCH!), having two months of off and on sinus headaches, getting depressed again (side affect on my new high blood pressure pill), or having a hail storm crack my windshield (cost $300, copay $900)? A bummer summer. Plus I'm pretty sure I'm working on early-onset dementia. My short term memory sucks. So if anyone asks me how I'm doing, I just say "you really don't want to know." I'd go dig a hole and cover myself with dirt but my back hurts, my shoulder is sore ,and I've got a bad knee.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Finally had my cataract surgery on my left eye, but after 4 days my lens is still cloudy, so I'm not happy; however, was it worse that having an infected tooth pulled (OUCH!), having two months of off and on sinus headaches, getting depressed again (side affect on my new high blood pressure pill), or having a hail storm crack my windshield (cost $300, copay $900)? A bummer summer. Plus I'm pretty sure I'm working on early-onset dementia. My short term memory sucks. So if anyone asks me how I'm doing, I just say "you really don't want to know." I'd go dig a hole and cover myself with dirt but my back hurts, my shoulder is sore ,and I've got a bad knee.
Just you wait until you get old :) The cataract thing seems wrong though, for mine they took out the cloudy lens and replaced with a plastic one, no way I can see there should be cloudiness left, I should get that checked out. They matched the lens to my eye as well so although I am still a little astigmatic I am not short sighted anymore.

Recorded and added 'The old man by the road' to my channel.

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Thanks, Olly. Fully intend to make sure my left eye is clear before they operate on the right one. Used to trust doctors until one put off sending me to a urologist; had to quit him and go to another and that's when I found out I had advanced prostate cancer. Vickie is even more cynical than I am, having spent most of her working life with doctors and hospitals.

Tony

Sinister

All the plum wine is vinegar now. I don't know how, I guess I let it set too long while waiting for the bottles, but it got infected. The whole batch is ruined. I now have 3 gallons of plum vinegar.

Feeling pretty low. Bad headache.

4/10

-Sin

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Found this an unorthodox writing guide which works with the subconscious thoughts a writer gets to write a story. It was written for highschool. I ordered it 3 days ago. My mom gave it to me as a present. It's written by a person in the screenwriting business. All exercises are questions or list making brainstorming lists you provide the answer to, so you can use your imagination.

A Pirates Guide t th Grammar of Story: A Creative Writing Curriculum, Yogger LeFossa
I am interested in writing more stories or rewriting old ones because the style didn't hold up. After 2 more days pass by I will finally sign up to kindle unlimited, so I can create a reading habit to help with my hobby of writing short stories.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
My cat (Pilot) is having a rough day.
PilotNap-s.jpg

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
We are on vacation at the moment with our family in France. This afternoon I tried to take the opportunity to take some ME time and write. Grandkids in pool, parents resting. Great. Nope, not a chance. Their Blue Merle puppy, Sammy, has adopted me and every time I take a quiet moment he seeks me out to play fetch and will not leave me alone until I oblige. When I try to ignore him he nudges my legs with his nose and then stares at me with his big brown eyes... pleading.

Drops ball at my feet then when I try to pick it up he teases me and starts chewing on it. No way am I going to put my fingers in his mouth to take the ball. We then have a Franglais conversation and as he won't drop it I return to writing. ... and so it goes on.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I think a dog's personality is the important thing you can invest in. I dislike buying a dog IMO because of how it looks. It better be a quiet dog, or one that eats its food or so if god decides to help me. This is a warning on what to look for in a dog and is potential advice for future dog owners. My dog has some very bad habits. I hope no one is in the same situation we are in, and I mean it in a good-natured way while pointing fun at myself. Some might find this to be a real situation where humor is called for as I felt.

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
We took mum for a very enjoyable lunch at Bella Italia. It was nice to have a tasty spaghetti carbonara after I buggered up the one I attempted the other day. For some bizarre reason, I poured the eggs into the pan before the pasta so ended up with scrambled eggs!

Sinister

We took mum for a very enjoyable lunch at Bella Italia. It was nice to have a tasty spaghetti carbonara after I buggered up the one I attempted the other day. For some bizarre reason, I poured the eggs into the pan before the pasta so ended up with scrambled eggs!
I actually have an unreasonably hard time with carbonara. It's such a simple recipe, really. To be fair, I've only tried it twice. But it certainly seems easier than it is.

-Sin