Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

So... How'd Your Day Go? (5 Viewers)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
We live in dangerous times!
All I did was think, "Huh! I don't have that book series"...and somehow there was this blur of having 'added to cart' and then books appeared!
My bank account will be empty, my house full of books.

A Wrinkle in Time Books.jpg

Phil Istine

Staff member
Global Moderator
All I did was think, "Huh! I don't have that book series"...and somehow there was this blur of having 'added to cart' and then books appeared!

View attachment 26823

My name is Phil and I'm a bookaholic. I pretend to be a librarian to cover my addiction and go into different bookshops, but I think they're beginning to suspect. I even hide in toilets to read, but I have to be careful to not rustle the pages in case anyone finds out.

Last edited:

Darkkin

WF Veterans
What is this too many books thing you're talking about? You do know that is just a legend...right. (This is just a small portion of the books on my table and my nonfiction/fantasy overflow bookcase. My stacks on the table are 10 inches deep and the one bookcase stretches an additional four feet on either side.)

FB_IMG_1620438863835.jpgFB_IMG_1620504683178.jpgFB_IMG_1620504666351.jpg

Darkkin

WF Veterans
Sorry Halloween GIF by True and the Rainbow Kingdom

No. Kitties just seem to take over the internet. It is their greatest, oft ignored power. We get distracted and they plot.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Dogs have telepathic control, but they are stupid so they just motivate humans to provide food an warmth, with some awful results.
Cats are intelligent, but can't access speech or telepathy, that's why they plot.

Well, that's my theory.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I know that audiobooks are expensive but I wasn't really expecting Audible to feel like a racket. I pay a monthly fee in order to be able to listen to books that I can buy. The only way this turns out to really be worth it moneywise for a skinflint like myself is to also have KindleUnlimited so that I can possibly find a free book on Kindle that results in a free or reduced price on the audio from Audible. Today I got my monthly Free Credit (which is basically one free book) and picked up Dean Koontz's Watchers to listen to. Which is marvelous.

Something I cannot figure out from Audible, though, is why they're always giving me awards. What do the awards have to do with anything other than producing annoying notifications? I can't sort out how being awarded a Gold "Weekend Warrior" badge is supposed to do anything. I'm listening to an audiobook because I want to, there's no effort involved. So being given an award invariably just seems nonsensical and busybodying.

Leave me alone, Audible! And give me more free books because...I'm a cheapskate.

Mark Twain't

I know that audiobooks are expensive but I wasn't really expecting Audible to feel like a racket. I pay a monthly fee in order to be able to listen to books that I can buy. The only way this turns out to really be worth it moneywise for a skinflint like myself is to also have KindleUnlimited so that I can possibly find a free book on Kindle that results in a free or reduced price on the audio from Audible. Today I got my monthly Free Credit (which is basically one free book) and picked up Dean Koontz's Watchers to listen to. Which is marvelous.

Something I cannot figure out from Audible, though, is why they're always giving me awards. What do the awards have to do with anything other than producing annoying notifications? I can't sort out how being awarded a Gold "Weekend Warrior" badge is supposed to do anything. I'm listening to an audiobook because I want to, there's no effort involved. So being given an award invariably just seems nonsensical and busybodying.

Leave me alone, Audible! And give me more free books because...I'm a cheapskate.
Only quoting this to say that Watchers was the 1st Dean Koontz book I read and it was brilliant!

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans

View attachment 26823
Is that Dean Koontz book yours (writing popular fiction)? That goes for 300 dollars. I remember selling mine for 80 when I had it. I thought the advice was basic at the time. It's hyped by collectors I am convinced by own my experience.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator

Watchers is one of Koontz's best. Dark Rivers of the Heart and Mr. Murder - also very good.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I liked Mr. Murder, haven't read Strangers or Dark Rivers of the Heart yet. Loved all the Odd Thomas books, By the Light of the Moon, Dragon Tears, The City, and quite a few others. He's got some great short stories as well.

Mark Twain't

I liked Mr. Murder, haven't read Strangers or Dark Rivers of the Heart yet. Loved all the Odd Thomas books, By the Light of the Moon, Dragon Tears, The City, and quite a few others. He's got some great short stories as well.
I bought Oddkins a number of years ago, think I've still got it somewhere. An illustrated book. Must see if I can dig it out.

Last edited:

Matchu

I am a little bit isolated. From working amidst a bustling team I’ve been sent to the outpost - because because I have the skills actually - and here alone I serve the client and complain to you in the harshest terms. Sensory torture: Netflix, constant shovelling of the lowest crap of Shield/Sons of Anarchy/OUTLANDER!!!!

Take the televisions away! Bring me gramophone for the lunatics, traditional turntable. Maybe some jazz?

[Christ, I write some shit says author 6 hours later :) ]

About four times a day the actors simulate sex - for me & for my client.

If that wasn’t bad enough both of my grammar school threads: the WW2 poets & Philip Larkin have been ignored by (a) Netflix society. Theory.

Also checked mirror again last night and I appear pregnant. Not in the good way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread