Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

So... How'd Your Day Go? (3 Viewers)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
When I manage to hit my dedicated time for writing every day (or at least most days) my strategy of ping-ponging back and forth between subconscious and conscious works very well for my writing. The problem comes in when, often on the weekend, I have three days of total disconnectedness from writing. So there's no longer resonance happening, my thoughts are on all the family demands and other things. This weekend I not only was keeping everything going for the family but for some reason I felt terribly lonely even with them there. An emotion like that is distracting, too.

So I did kick off the day today with some determined timed writing, trying desperately to get my neurons firing on writing again. A dismal 400 words, another 15 minutes to just argue with myself on the page about what am I writing anyway? And probably too much coffee. It's easy to think discouraging thoughts.

But it'll come back, the desire to write and the ideas. It always does.

Selorian

Patron
Today, I have only managed a handful of words. On April 20th my father passed away due to covid and today is his funeral. With the border between Canada and the US closed, there was no way to be there. Tough day, but I will get through it and will hopefully find the words flowing again once today is over.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better. I bet your father left behind a good legacy behind him because of the good things he did. That is something to be proud off. Many people do not have the opportunities a father can give. I hope for the days ahead that things improve and that you can remember only the good things. We tend to focus on the negative things that happen and that's something that used to happen to me often. So much I considered myself a pessimist when I would feel somewhat sad, but good things do happen to people who are feeling they are not their usual self. We humans tend to remember the negative. Hopefully, things will improve for those of us who need to be wished the condolences. People need to process feelings in a healthy way. It's something my therapist said once. First we think, then we feel, then we act a certain way. So if we look at the first step of thinking, we need to find ways of coping with our emotions. You have my sympathies and I hope you cope with it well.

Last edited:

Steve_Rivers

Sorry to hear that, @Selorian
This last year has really thrown a spanner in the works. My nan looked close to dying at one point in the last month or so. Thankfully she's out of the worst of it now, but it was touch and go. All I could think of was that awful feeling of not being able to even see her one last time before she died and then not being able to attend her funeral.

I'm trying to keep my mind occupied with my writing, but its tough.

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Today, I have only managed a handful of words. On April 20th my father passed away due to covid and today is his funeral. With the border between Canada and the US closed, there was no way to be there. Tough day, but I will get through it and will hopefully find the words flowing again once today is over.

I am so sorry to hear that... it makes it worse that you cannot go to his funeral and have that closure [ if there can be closure]... * hugs**, my thoughts are with you and your family... I am afraid my words sound so cliché... but they come from my heart... here's hoping for better days ahead...

Selorian

Patron
Sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better. I bet your father left behind a good legacy behind him because of the good things he did. That is something to be proud off. Many people do not have the opportunities a father can give. I hope for the days ahead that things improve and that you can remember only the good things. We tend to focus on the negative things that happen and that's something that used to happen to me often. So much I considered myself a pessimist when I would feel somewhat sad, but good things do happen to people who are feeling they are not their usual self. We humans tend to remember the negative. Hopefully, things will improve for those of us who need to be wished the condolences. People need to process feelings in a healthy way. It's something my therapist said once. First we think, then we feel, then we act a certain way. So if we look at the first step of thinking, we need to find ways of coping with our emotions. You have my sympathies and I hope you cope with it well.

Sorry to hear that, @Selorian
This last year has really thrown a spanner in the works. My nan looked close to dying at one point in the last month or so. Thankfully she's out of the worst of it now, but it was touch and go. All I could think of was that awful feeling of not being able to even see her one last time before she died and then not being able to attend her funeral.

I'm trying to keep my mind occupied with my writing, but its tough.

I am so sorry to hear that... it makes it worse that you cannot go to his funeral and have that closure [ if there can be closure]... * hugs**, my thoughts are with you and your family... I am afraid my words sound so cliché... but they come from my heart... here's hoping for better days ahead...

I am very sorry for your loss, don't think too much

Thank you all for the kind words, it means the world to me and reminds me of how great Writing Forums and its members have always been. Although the words didn't come today, I found other things to keep me occupied today. Tomorrow is a new day and I'm sure I'll be able to write, even if it is just to put my thoughts and feelings down in black and white. Again, thank you all so much.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
My condolences, Selorian, I well remember my own father's passing, it is strange becoming the older generation.

On a different note the 'missus' and I got formally hitched yesterday in a Civil Partnership, a very quick little ceremony, just confirming our details and signing a paper. Basically it makes things much easier for the survivor when one of us dies and allows the children to avoid inheritance tax, but it is still nice after 37 years together.

Terra

Big hugs Selorian! Your words will honour his life, and give you a means to process the experience ... might not be easy, but can be most fulfilling.

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor

So sorry for your loss, Selorian. It's a path we all must walk, but that makes it no less painful. Your dad is with you always; in your heart, you very being, and I know he is proud of the person you have become. Blessings and healing thoughts sent to you and your family.
Sue

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
We have 6 cats – note: if you ever volunteer at a cat rescue shelter, just know that you’ll end up keeping a lot of the fosters you take care of… and you’ll be the better for it. This is probably true for dogs, ferrets, etc. as well.

Our oldest cat is Zwarte Piet (Black Pete) – we adopted him when he was young, and he grew and grew, finally reaching 18 pounds. He’s a big guy, but the gentlest animal I’ve ever known. He goes limp when you pick him up, and purrs almost constantly. When we brought abandoned kittens into our home to foster, they all loved Pete; he would just lay still and let them crawl all over him – a few even tried to suckle and he just tolerated it. Through Pete, they overcame their fears and went on to live good lives with other families.

Well, Pete is 14 years old now and having health problems. We took him to the vet yesterday and they determined that he has cancer and is dealing with bowel problems. We have him on medication, and he still is his old mellow self – even when we bathed him; Pete just accepted it, knowing that we wouldn’t hurt him, and purred through the whole thing.

Sadly, I doubt Pete has much longer to live, but we’re determined to make him feel loved and his last days comfortable.

Darkkin

WF Veterans
So sorry to hear about your kitty's diagnosis. My first cat Solomon had lymphoma, but never lost his love for life and his people even at the very end. He was 15 and a privilege to know. I rescued my CatCat a couple months after he passed, and she was with me for two decades before we said goodbye. She was the last of her generation, (childhood pets). My Potato Cat just turned two and he is one of the gentle giants. 13lbs of purr and Rue Dog's best friend.

Last edited:

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I've posted elsewhere, I've just spent most of the week making sure a hacker threat we received a few days ago can never bear fruit. My business partner was surprised that I wrote mean things to the hacker ... thought it would provoke him (or her). The hacker was from China. However, I had the hacker reliably shut out before I told them to F off, literally.

This isn't a hot season for our clients, who are mostly active only during trade shows, which are just starting to happen again. So I just shut down all the sites and hurried to have the code changes in place, then brought the sites back up one by one as I tested the security enhancements.

We had a bit of extra excitement two evenings ago. Betty was taking the dogs out about 11 PM and called out to me. She spotted a snake between the glass in our breezeway's storm door! It was a baby, so I got a work glove, wiggled the top window to panic it into exiting the door, then snagged it behind the head. I took it to the edge of the fence and launched it toward the creek. Then I did some research and found out it was a juvenile rat snake. Good snake to have around. :)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
So sorry to hear about your kitty's diagnosis. My first cat Solomon had lymphoma, but never lost his love for life and his people even at the very end. He was 15 and a privilege to know. I rescued my CatCat a couple months after he passed, and she was with me for two decades before we said goodbye. She was the last of her generation, (childhood pets). My Potato Cat just turned two and he is one of the gentle giants. 13lbs of purr and Rue Dog's best friend.

I suffer from PTSD - cats calm me, we have a dog too... a Norwegian Elk Hound, she's a goofy loving creature but is also getting on in years. They all help me when anxiety hits.

Selorian

Patron
My condolences, Selorian, I well remember my own father's passing, it is strange becoming the older generation.

On a different note the 'missus' and I got formally hitched yesterday in a Civil Partnership, a very quick little ceremony, just confirming our details and signing a paper. Basically it makes things much easier for the survivor when one of us dies and allows the children to avoid inheritance tax, but it is still nice after 37 years together.

Big hugs Selorian! Your words will honour his life, and give you a means to process the experience ... might not be easy, but can be most fulfilling.

So sorry for your loss, Selorian. It's a path we all must walk, but that makes it no less painful. Your dad is with you always; in your heart, you very being, and I know he is proud of the person you have become. Blessings and healing thoughts sent to you and your family.
Sue

Only now I have read.
Selorian condolences for your loss.

Thank you for the condolences and well wishes, they mean a lot to me.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Home project today. The last people who owned this house installed a kitchen island where none had been, and didn't put any outlets in it. So we got around to that today. After cutting through the sides to install the outlets and run the wiring, we drilled through the floor and ran the wire into the crawl space. My friend, who has the electrical experience to pull this off, readied to enter the crawl space, and I stayed up to do things like tap on the floor to help him find the right spot, especially if the wire was still on top of the insulation. I thought a bit of communication might be in order other than trying to yell through the floor.

Me: So would walkie-talkies help out here?
John: Sure, you have a walkie-talkie?
Me: Two of them. Works better than way.
John: Well, I assumed you meant two.
Me: There is a rule.
John: I'm not saying "Over".

He guessed it in one, and no, I was not able to convince him to say Over.

Darkkin

WF Veterans
Field Test...Yeah!
IMG_20210430_175859_204.jpg

Last edited: