Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

So... How'd Your Day Go? (6 Viewers)

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
I finished Step Four on the fence today.

(1. Corner posts (5). 2. Regular fence posts (17). 3. Install top rail. 4. Hang the fence and stretch it to the corner posts).

Tomorrow will be some clean up. Both gates we salvaged from a previous fence on the property have rust and rot at the bottom, so we'll cut those off and use corner L's along with spare top rail to create new bottoms. Also, the gates have holes in the bottom from the previous home owner's dogs attacking it, so we'll replace the chain link in the gates with spare fencing. We have to screw down some top rail guides which don't stay on the posts due to low points in the terrain, and I have to install wire ties on top rail and regular fence posts. We put up 220' of perimeter, intersecting two sides of the house. Dogs now have MUCH more area to roam than the makeshift fence this replaces, and my wife suddenly isn't too sure she likes that. LOL (We scoop the poop and toss it outside of the fenced area, so more ground to cover!)

But ... this fence was needed to insure the larger stray we took in and adopted is secure inside, and the fence was a project planned since we moved in, so now I get to check that off. Four days of fencing has meant eight Advil. LOL Tomorrow's effort should be less taxing.

It's made for a busy week, what with working on fence, handling clients in my business, scratching out a poem a day for the challenge, and squeezing in a chapter on my WIP here and there. Interesting times ... the Chinese curse! ;-)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I have a complaint: I was supposed to have an hour to write a story this morning rather than being a character some author is messing with.

The hour between 7am and 8am was supposed to be gloriously free with only myself, the page, and a cup of coffee. Milk, no sugar, this is the morning. Maybe one of those little 'donut hole' type chocolate chip things I made last night.

So I spent the time leading up to that trying to bounce the teenager out of bed and essentially yapping at his heels like a demented Pomeranian to get him moving to the bus. He knows so much more than Mom that he missed the bus. Literally was just a moment too late to run to it.

Please, give me a gold star on my forehead but only one because I didn't scream or rant, I just gave him the what-for about responsibility. I left the landline handset beside my sleeping daughter's head, got my coffee into a go-mug, and walked my PJ pants out to the SUV. What? Yes, I gave him some more of my mind. I just have so much to give.

SUV's steering went out halfway to the school.

Thankfully, my mechanic was in the shop at 7:30 and was probably really delighted to answer the phone. Sorry, dude, welcome to my morning. He said it would be okay to drive to the school but bring it to the garage straight after. I asked him for a ride home for my PJs and I and he was fine with that. (the garage is just down over the hill from me) This is one of the reasons why this is my favorite mechanic.

Got an entire upper-body workout driving the damned SUV with no power steering. I'm no wimp and I've driven vehicles that didn't have power steering before but that's an entirely different ball game than driving through defunct power steering. Zero fun in case you're wondering.

Got the whippersnapper teenager dropped at school, muscled my way to the garage, and waited thankfully in the warm office (it's very raw and cold this morning) for the mechanic to get done arguing with a car in the far bay.

Tried calling my daughter to wake her up. No service.

Walked back out to the edge of the road in the rain and chill and hooray, AT&T met me there.

Had to call twice to get the kid to wake up.

The mechanic ran me home (In a truly nice enormous pickup that he had to yank me up into. I'm only 5'3" give me a break...or a running board. Or a launch pad) dropped me off. Kid was up. Hooray.

I set up more coffee (more than I usually did) and added Irish cream. Morning be damned. And let's do three or four of the donut hole cookie things as my daughter wanted to talk.

Can't even remember what I was going to write anymore.

Made it to my desk, put my hands on the computer.

Phone rang. It's my mom! Sorry moms, I'm a mom, I get it, but there's still an "oh no" moment when I see it's mom that's automatic. Plus I absolutely despise talking on the phone. Also, she was chatty.

So it's almost a good thing that my husband called. Then I could get off the other call. But now I'm still stuck on the phone. I love the guy but...wut.

This brings me up to three hours of my day where everything in the world happened except writing.

Am I happy that things have worked out with each situation? Absolutely. Could have been a LOT worse.

But now it's time to get into the day so my brain is unlikely to really sink into the creative process and feel okay about it. And now it's essentially the weekend. Creativity is basically dead until Monday morning. IF nothing else happens.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Foxee, At least you wrote about your experience. People that are writers say writing is a kind of expressive therapy. You could remember it, and maybe even use it in a story.

Well today I found a book by Harvard University that's written for ESL and native speakers. So, I am going to order that book. In addition to this going to order a college book written as a college reader written specifically for multimedia. This includes videos, photographs, and how to write about it. It's much better that the other book I wrote about that I bought on ESL. Supposedly half the colleges in the United States use the first book according to the advertising. So this teaches how to write paragraphs and sentences. I already did a good job with what I wrote last time. What I want are techniques to do it seamlessly. I found these resources by luck since I am always researching.

A Writer's Reference by Diana Hacker (with exercises) 9th edition (there is one with exercises and one without)

Becoming Rhetorical: Analyzing and Composing in a Multimedia World with APA 7e Updates
(this one teaches how one can write rhetorically from just watching videos for example on YouTube using I guess exercises and activities to stimulate the person)

Darkkin

WF Veterans
Doing some crazy flying spaghetti monster pieces to dig myself out of a writing hole, and surprisingly they are not horrific. Extremely dorky, yes, but not wretched. I still have a couple of pieces I know I really want to get done, but their not the ones that spoke to me tonight.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
My characters have a lot of internal debates... would character A do this? What would happen if B? Etc. So I dealt with an infestation of “would’s” today.

Matchu

A rustle in the bushes had me reaching for the long lens. I captured his majesty:
Cat hungry.jpg
and enticed him toward the doorstep for the award-winner, I believe & I hope.
cat and milk.jpg

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
I have a complaint: I was supposed to have an hour to write a story this morning rather than being a character some author is messing with.

The hour between 7am and 8am was supposed to be gloriously free with only myself, the page, and a cup of coffee. Milk, no sugar, this is the morning. Maybe one of those little 'donut hole' type chocolate chip things I made last night.

So I spent the time leading up to that trying to bounce the teenager out of bed and essentially yapping at his heels like a demented Pomeranian to get him moving to the bus. He knows so much more than Mom that he missed the bus. Literally was just a moment too late to run to it.

Please, give me a gold star on my forehead but only one because I didn't scream or rant, I just gave him the what-for about responsibility. I left the landline handset beside my sleeping daughter's head, got my coffee into a go-mug, and walked my PJ pants out to the SUV. What? Yes, I gave him some more of my mind. I just have so much to give.

SUV's steering went out halfway to the school.

Thankfully, my mechanic was in the shop at 7:30 and was probably really delighted to answer the phone. Sorry, dude, welcome to my morning. He said it would be okay to drive to the school but bring it to the garage straight after. I asked him for a ride home for my PJs and I and he was fine with that. (the garage is just down over the hill from me) This is one of the reasons why this is my favorite mechanic.

Got an entire upper-body workout driving the damned SUV with no power steering. I'm no wimp and I've driven vehicles that didn't have power steering before but that's an entirely different ball game than driving through defunct power steering. Zero fun in case you're wondering.

Got the whippersnapper teenager dropped at school, muscled my way to the garage, and waited thankfully in the warm office (it's very raw and cold this morning) for the mechanic to get done arguing with a car in the far bay.

Tried calling my daughter to wake her up. No service.

Walked back out to the edge of the road in the rain and chill and hooray, AT&T met me there.

Had to call twice to get the kid to wake up.

The mechanic ran me home (In a truly nice enormous pickup that he had to yank me up into. I'm only 5'3" give me a break...or a running board. Or a launch pad) dropped me off. Kid was up. Hooray.

I set up more coffee (more than I usually did) and added Irish cream. Morning be damned. And let's do three or four of the donut hole cookie things as my daughter wanted to talk.

Can't even remember what I was going to write anymore.

Made it to my desk, put my hands on the computer.

Phone rang. It's my mom! Sorry moms, I'm a mom, I get it, but there's still an "oh no" moment when I see it's mom that's automatic. Plus I absolutely despise talking on the phone. Also, she was chatty.

So it's almost a good thing that my husband called. Then I could get off the other call. But now I'm still stuck on the phone. I love the guy but...wut.

This brings me up to three hours of my day where everything in the world happened except writing.

Am I happy that things have worked out with each situation? Absolutely. Could have been a LOT worse.

But now it's time to get into the day so my brain is unlikely to really sink into the creative process and feel okay about it. And now it's essentially the weekend. Creativity is basically dead until Monday morning. IF nothing else happens.

Yes, the "mom" adventures. When I was working at a hospital and all four of my kids were home, I'd try and pick some random day in the future for a mental health day. A Wednesday, for example, two weeks off. When you work in a hospital, you had to plan ahead - far ahead. By the Tuesday before my "free" day, all looked good and I was excited, in a good. But it never failed - someone (and even me once) would get sick on that Wednesday morning so that all I got to do was take care of sickies! So I feel your pain, Foxee. Good to see you still kept your sense of humor and came back to us to share. Good job, Mom! :)

EternalGreen

I searched for an appointment for a COVID vaccine and booked one in two hours. There were slots available immediately.

Anyone who says the public sector can't get things done just isn't living in reality.

Darkkin

WF Veterans
Scored a really nice oversized reading chair from the curb of one of the slightly ritzier neighbourhoods about a mile from my house. Spent the evening shampooing it and rearranging the basement to accommodate it. It will be really nice once it's dry. Anybody else have experiences with curb furniture? I've put a lot on the curb, this is the first I've ever brought home. I know the family and they have no pets, so weird stain possibilities are minimal. Either way I used an enzymatic detergent...

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Scored a really nice oversized reading chair from the curb of one of the slightly ritzier neighbourhoods about a mile from my house. Spent the evening shampooing it and rearranging the basement to accommodate it. It will be really nice once it's dry. Anybody else have experiences with curb furniture? I've put a lot on the curb, this is the first I've ever brought home. I know the family and they have no pets, so weird stain possibilities are minimal. Either way I used an enzymatic detergent...

I scored a cool oil painting on a stretched canvas, it is about 10x12 inches, the lady that threw it away is an art teacher, but this painting was signed by her.... it was a painting of an abandoned cottage with the garden grown up in weeds, and it is easy to see that the wind is blowing by the way the weeds are bent, she painted the scene in soft muted colors....I am madly in love with it...

petergrimes

I was walking home from the Dr's one day and somebody had left out one of those spin chairs, leather, molded to the back with arm rests. At the time I was spending hours writing a book and only had a wooden chair with a straight back. My back wasn't liking it, this new chair however... it was on wheels too so i could roll it all the way home. its a bit tatty but so am I. They left a note saying I could take it. Serendipity. I could never remember which house it was to say thank you though. I love this chair, would have cost me a fortune t'otherwise. quality. Cheers Darkkin PG

Darkkin

WF Veterans
I'm wondering which of your animals will claim it. Or if they'll just all colonize it. It's a really nice find!

The thing about the boys is that they only ever get on the furniture when invited. The dogs crate up at night and Potato sleeps on top of Zwi's crate, I actually had to get a crate mat for the top of the crate for Potato because he was wearing the fur off a spot on his back foot. I sit there, Rue and Potato both climb up.

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Got a notice today the granddaughter of my eldest niece (I'm already feeling old) is graduating from high school so naturally I wrote her a poem. She liked it, of course, and tells me poetry is one of her favorite things to write and read. I hope the poor thing doesn't get disillusioned too soon.:icon_joker:

Darkkin

WF Veterans
We did nail trimming tonight on both Rue and Potato, we were done in under two minutes. Nobody died, nobody bled. That in and of itself is a win.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I am reading a book for esl writers called Language Power: tutorials for writers. I am taking time during my day to learn from it. It has 21 chapters. I won't spend too much time on the forum because I am studying it. I decided to focus on learning new language skills. I suspect it will take me a month to finish it. So far I am learning things I did not know. That and maybe by the time I finish it maybe I will have what it takes to write error free I hope. Learning about determiners, articles, demonstrative pronouns, coordinating, and subordinating conjunctions so far. I did not know some of it. It's time-consuming but I made notes inside of my word processor. That and I made a goal to exercise as much as I can during the week whenever it is the morning. So I will be absent for some time. I actually think I log on the computer for too long and that I need to behave more like a stoic. That is until I learn the skills needed to tackle writing. Learning from a book is a huge investment of time. I easily will waste four hours reading.

I do have a new how to book on poetry and how to write some of it that I like a lot. But that will have to wait until I finish reading my esl lessons.

Users who are viewing this thread