Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

So... How'd Your Day Go? (6 Viewers)

Gofa

Friends of WF

Lady Silence

I am having problems with my laptop, the screen goes black every now and then.

I tried to turn down, the hertz of the monitor.
I've lowered from 60 to 40.
We hope well.
I can't afford a new pc, if this breaks.

You tube is your friend as is google this will be a common fault define the laptop name etc
best advice will follow

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
So you did all the manual work while he supervised, sounds like a good deal to me. :) Are you going somewhere nice for your vacation?

He was on the ground using the impact wrench to dig out the volumes of quartz in our dirt, which I can't get out with the post hole diggers. Plus, he moved and rolled out the first section of fence. :) I don't mind whatever part of the work I get in, I can use the exercise. LOL Plus, the impact wrench, the 100' tape measure, and the magnetic level we used to make sure the posts are vertical are all his. I couldn't have planned out everything we did and executed it with precision like he does. This guy is a residential builder and knows the nuts and bolts to pretty much everything you can do in a house or on the property.

To tell you what kind of friend he is: When my dog Pepper died December 2019, he heard about it and turned around halfway to another town to come back and help me bury her. I was torn up. I couldn't even start to do it without shaking too badly to use the tools, when I could see them. That's a friend. I still can't type this without wiping my eyes. It's one reason why our new dog from a stray is such a blessing. Our other dogs gravitate toward Betty, and the new girl 'Doris' sticks with me.

She gets upset when I'm out of the house and vocalizes it, so John suggested we take her to the hardware store ... it's not uncommon. She got compliments frequently, and at checkout a little boy (about five) asked to pet her. She rolled over to get him to pet her tummy, and when he leaned in too close he got slimed up his face. He liked that and went back for more. LOL His father was standing next to us smiling at the whole episode. Freakin' LS would have this dog eliminated ...

We have time share weeks in Myrtle Beach SC, and go in April and (normally) the first week of October. Our favorite seafood restaurant is a one block walk up from the beach, and we have an oceanfront condo. We're not beach sunners, but we'll hang out in the hot tub for a while, then sit out on the pool deck, facing the ocean, and sip wine coolers while we read for an hour or so each afternoon. We've been going there since the late 80s, meaning we've done all the area 'activities' multiple times, so these days we mostly just relax on the property and enjoy the view and sounds of the surf.

29426130.jpg

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
He was on the ground using the impact wrench to dig out the volumes of quartz in our dirt, which I can't get out with the post hole diggers. Plus, he moved and rolled out the first section of fence. :) I don't mind whatever part of the work I get in, I can use the exercise. LOL Plus, the impact wrench, the 100' tape measure, and the magnetic level we used to make sure the posts are vertical are all his. I couldn't have planned out everything we did and executed it with precision like he does. This guy is a residential builder and knows the nuts and bolts to pretty much everything you can do in a house or on the property.

I was teasing you in my last comment.

Apologies, vranger, sometimes British humour does not always translate well :(

To tell you what kind of friend he is: When my dog Pepper died December 2019, he heard about it and turned around halfway to another town to come back and help me bury her. I was torn up. I couldn't even start to do it without shaking too badly to use the tools, when I could see them. That's a friend. I still can't type this without wiping my eyes. It's one reason why our new dog from a stray is such a blessing. Our other dogs gravitate toward Betty, and the new girl 'Doris' sticks with me.

Yes, he is a true friend and adopted brother. True friendship is rare and a treasured gift. I would love a RL friend like him I could truly trust and rely on. You are very lucky.

We have time share weeks in Myrtle Beach SC, and go in April and (normally) the first week of October. Our favorite seafood restaurant is a one block walk up from the beach, and we have an oceanfront condo. We're not beach sunners, but we'll hang out in the hot tub for a while, then sit out on the pool deck, facing the ocean, and sip wine coolers while we read for an hour or so each afternoon. We've been going there since the late 80s, meaning we've done all the area 'activities' multiple times, so these days we mostly just relax on the property and enjoy the view and sounds of the surf.

Sounds a perfect location. Although I don't sunbath, I love the beach and before my injury I loved body boarding and paddle boarding was the next activity on my bucket list. My favourite time of day is just before sunset. We take nibbles and drinks and set up camp about 16.00 so we can watch the sunset. We only live 2 minutes drive away from several beaches in the Western Algarve.

But hot tub and cocktails would be perfect.

Phil Istine

Staff member
Global Moderator
This evening I have finally figured out how to access WF on this ancient laptop. At first I couldn't access any internet on it, then I found I could get on some sites, but nt others. There was some tech message about something odd not being installed. I had a hunt around the internet on the desktop PC and decided to try something. The laptop runs Windows XP Home. I ended up downloading Eirefox 43.0.1 which is a 32-bit browser, but serves higher operating systems. And here I am. I could have done with this a few weeks ago when my mobility was impaired.

Matchu

Nutritious FILM CLUB in a chair on your own.

I jumped the forum at about ten o'clock last night and I awoke later/earlier with a sense I had been a dickhead on the forum. I apologise on behalf of dickheads. Anyways I got this long-term assignment atm down at the guy's house and that's where I do some reading. But I am on holiday today so I watch films. Here is today's selection of films:

Summer With Monika is very early Ingmar Bergman and it is inspiring for writing your love stories and for feeling wistful. I watched it all this morning. Very kissy, very controversial in its time. Sexy film & romantic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIgSm9QCu9o

I tried to watch Closely Observed Trains...but I cannot find a version with English subtitles. Instead I suggest Bicycle Thieves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD-lAH3XEmQ

[mandatory viewing for Nutritious Film Club membership, extremely worthy]

Later on a spot of light WW2 propaganda cinema. This is one of the prettiest and directed by Carol Reed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbhhrQdNu6g contains Peter Ustinov aged c12 and some Dad's Army favourites. The New Lot.

See you x

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
A little bit of a lazy day.
I spent the morning in the garage playing with my motorcycles - then of course I had to ride them... not just one but both because they get jealous. With all the forced business closings last year I didn't get to take my usual summer cross country trip, and I'm itching to get on the road.

There's an open style karate tournament coming up later this month and I'm actually considering competing - we'll see now my body holds up to the preparation. Funny, I'm 15 years over the top of the oldest age division; how the heck that that happen?

I'll probably to the prep-work for the fourth edit of Redemption this afternoon, then attack it in earnest tomorrow after Taekwondo class.

Darkkin

WF Veterans
I could no longer procrastinate getting a new phone. My old one was beyond dead. The new one is amazing and didn't cost the earth, but it is the most I have ever spent on a phone. And since I was messing around updating all of my tech toys, I decided to see if there was a way to link my lost iTunes library to my tablet. Lo and behold, there was just such an app. I reset everything and now have access to music I have not heard in more than three years (when my laptop died). There is a whole lot of happy going on right now!

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
I've had a makeshift fence up for our small dogs for 2 1/2 years in this house. Our new larger dog (the stray we took in) hasn't challenged that fence, but I don't want there to be a first time ... especially with a week with a house sitter coming up soon. So this week I've been putting up a real fence (with help). It will have about 5 or 6 times the interior area of the makeshift fence. The posts are all in and the concrete cured, so tomorrow we hang the chain link.

On another note, my wife and I both had our 2nd vaccine shots early this afternoon. We have the same mild soreness at the injection site as we did from the first shot, but no other side effects. I'll update this.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I've had a makeshift fence up for our small dogs for 2 1/2 years in this house. Our new larger dog (the stray we took in) hasn't challenged that fence, but I don't want there to be a first time ... especially with a week with a house sitter coming up soon. So this week I've been putting up a real fence (with help). It will have about 5 or 6 times the interior area of the makeshift fence. The posts are all in and the concrete cured, so tomorrow we hang the chain link.
It depends on the motivation. My little mongrel was a fair bit smaller than a collie, he could get over a six foot fence just like that if there was a bitch on heat in the yard :)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Got there at last! I have had several attempts at recording my story 'A family business' for YouTube and fallen apart in the middle, today I managed to read it all the way through, a bit over 37mins, a long one. Rather than editing and getting a 'perfect' version I go for 'Good enough for copy'. I truly think it sounds better, more 'real' and 'human'. Mind, I think I am getting better as I go. The first one is pretty terrible, I recorded a version of it a few years ago for my daughter and my mate who is a producer edited several takes to get a perfect one as she had to write a piece of music to go with a spoken word composition for her degree. We must have got it fairly right , she got a 1.1

So long it took ages to upload, off to put a copy on my facebook page and rewrite my signature now.

Done.

Last edited:

Terra

Two days of physical exertion after a winter of getting soft ... so tired I can barely move, but oh man, it was so worth it. Yesterday, hours of kayaking with a good friend. She mismanaged some rapids, hit a rock and tipped into ice cold water. She's okay, and I learned a lot about not panicking when something like that happens. I spent today helping my parents separate their bulls from the herd in preparation for calving and sorting the last two years of calves to go to auction in May. I should mention these are buffalo. The LM prompt this month is Defiance ... I witnessed that in action when a cow demolished the main gate in defiance to being corralled ... why can't my parents raise goats instead? Bedtime for this gal;)

First Voyage 2021.jpgBuffalo Time.jpg

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
I promised to update:

More than 72 hours after our second Moderna vaccine shot, I have no side effects whatsoever. For several hours after the shot, I did have soreness at the injection site, but it faded more quickly than the soreness from the first shot! My wife reported a mild headache for a while the second day, but is unsure if it was from the shot or sinuses. Certainly, neither of us had fever or chills or the other scary sounding stuff. I frankly had slight trepidation about "second shot effects", but at least for us it turned out to be a big nothing.

SiameseDream

My dad got me and my mom sick. Woke up with a cough and scratchy throat. Thankfully, he took a Covid test a couple days ago and it came back negative. Probably a cold. On the plus side, I wrote 3,000 words for a story I'm working on. I don't know about other people, but anytime I can reach 3,000 words in a day is a pretty good day.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Edited for typo.

Last edited:

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
My dad got me and my mom sick. Woke up with a cough and scratchy throat. Thankfully, he took a Covid test a couple days ago and it came back negative. Probably a cold. On the plus side, I write 3,000 words for a story I'm working on. I don't know about other people, but anytime I can reach 3,000 words in a day is a pretty good day.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

3,000 words in a day is better production than many "name" authors. Good work. :)

Users who are viewing this thread