Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

So... How'd Your Day Go? (8 Viewers)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Kevin, I would go with 'rein', I think it comes from giving the horse a free rein and not directing it rather than anything to do with monarchy.

You talk about concrete for vertical walls, are they retaining walls holding back earth? If you look at such walls on places like rail embankments you will see that brick ones use English bonding, every other brick a header, the strongest bond. They need strength, the earth will always gradually move down hill and the pressure build and build, to hold it back you need a decent foundation and some steel in the wall if it is concrete

Kevin

WF Veterans
I was thinking horse's reins, too, rather than anarchy... Wasn't sure.
Olly, these are short walls at two ends. The soil here a foot down is rock hard so even exposed unprotected sharp drop offs hold their form for years. One slope to be retained is 24" tall and I think I'm going to go with a standard concrete /rebar reinforced 'cinder block' faced with the nice stone.o
We were thinking just some treated 8x8 beams (she first mentioned railroad ties *bleh!* if you've every cut one of those they're awful to work with) with pounded in pipes to hold them. The ground beneath is so hard I'd have to really pre-dig/ drill or something- it to pound anything in which I dread. Seems like that defeats the whole purpose of pounded stakes which is supposed to make things simpler. I was hoping to do a mortarless stacked type construction out of the stone since the other end wall is shorter- 2' to zero ala Machu Pichu. Concrete/steel mortared stone is always my fallback.

I hate doing things twice, and I've already got some older flatwork- red brick on sand- that I have to pry up a section and re-level ( gophers)which is a pain because I've got to break a brick to get access to pry up the others.

We're under a push here because wifey has quit her lease and is moving the salon back to herlittlebuilding in the yard. We need yard lights, some hand rails ( rebar 'skeleton', simulated oak-branch plaster outter). The salon needs a new floor, I'm taking the door off, flipping it, and swinging it to open outward, stucco patching, trim, drywall patching; I'm replacing the cedar yard fence with a simulated wood, same with the entry arbor, and I have to weld some new gates ( wood ones sagged).

May Day, that's the first, right? That's the deadline. Mayday-mayday (I'm going down..)

sas

WF Veterans
Geez, Kev, we’ll miss you. Looks like you’ll be lost in your yard for months. You know TL Murph does construction. Maybe he has some advice, too.

Winston

WF Veterans
Our chickens are laying again. God, did we miss those big, brown delicious eggs with the bright yellow yokes. Who would think a simple egg could be delicious?
We might get a break in the weather to plant veggies, tomorrow. The plant starts in our kitchen really need to get outside. This cold wind and rain sucks.
So, we're off to Costco today. Our cats eat a lot. Our geriatric dog... less and less every day.

TuesdayEve

Friends of WF
Blustery winds woke me up early and should continue
to roar and blow branches around, not good for a
tennis match. My sports trips were canceled last nite
and today due to rain and wind. But that has given me
the opportunity to re-arrange the living room today.
A new perspective, a new view from a new angle, with
four cups of coffee in me.
I’ve also been writing this a.m. Took some older lines
I’d written and stored and made new poems.
now.... thinking about lunch...still low carbs... had
a few cheats but back on track. Hello celery.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
@ Kevin:- Railway sleepers (ties) had a fashion here for supporting raised beds. People told me they were wonderful, 'They get treated for years and never rot.' It's true, some of the older ones you can saw in half and see there is a tiny circle of wood colour in the centre, the rest is stained with years and years of creosote which poisons everything in the bed. They won't even sell that stuff any more, it is so toxic, yet they splashed it liberally over thousands of miles of railtrack for about a hundred years, then people made raised vegetable beds with them and ate the contents thinking it was better than stuff treated with insecticides and herbicides.

Kevin

WF Veterans
Railroad ties are toxic...
That's a new one, but it makes total sense. They never mention that here. Another reason not to use them, besides being hard to cut, not very straight, really heavy- and you get black-tarry stuff all over you handling them.

LeeC

WF Veterans
  • Thanks
Reactions: sas

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
There're a lot of things that many aren't aware of. You might find the following worth reading:
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/the-toxins-that-threaten-our-brains/284466/

You talk like it is all bad, Lee. Just think, would those young officers ever have gone out and conquered the world and given it the benefit of British benevolence if they had not spent their childhood playing with lead soldiers? Wouldn't the proletariate be rioting and causing trouble if we couldn't keep them stupid, fat, and contented on all that pesticide permeated food? There are benefits, for some.

sas

WF Veterans
I keep waiting for that lurking cancer seed planted in my childhood to blossom. We had rat poison set out, my mom gave up on hitting them with a broom; I sucked on red lead painted crib passed on to others; my favorite gift was an entire lead army set that I kept set up on my floor that I rearranged for hours. Loved it. We broke thermometers to roll the mercury. I never got a vaccine because my mother thought they were dangerous. LOL. I’ve made it to elderly. My plan is to make ancient.

LeeC

WF Veterans
You talk like it is all bad, Lee. Just think, would those young officers ever have gone out and conquered the world and given it the benefit of British benevolence if they had not spent their childhood playing with lead soldiers? Wouldn't the proletariate be rioting and causing trouble if we couldn't keep them stupid, fat, and contented on all that pesticide permeated food? There are benefits, for some.

Hey Olly, it was a great movie while it lasted :champagne:

30714826_1713377218718371_5142041662607851520_n.jpg

Kevin

WF Veterans
Bugs come to my house. There was one this morning- a large black 'stink-bug' we call them. They are a beetle. I saw him crossing the drive, coming from the wall that separates us from the wild ( there is an oak and 'weeds' start behind it. A while later I found him on my porch on his back and wriggling- "..the death wriggle" I call it. Can you guess why? See below.
https://www.writingforums.com/threads/133029-An-arguement?p=1560913&viewfull=1#post1560913

I eventually lost the war ( win that argument- lost the war). We now have a service that sprays at all our outter perimeter. I saw the bill. "The bugs come in (up to- ), but don't come out."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: sas

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Life has been making its presence felt lately. Monday I thought I had my problems better sorted. I had a broken off tooth extracted the week previously and had to leave my denture with the dentist, so had been wearing an old one that was almost impossible to eat with, half a stone lighter I got my proper teeth back monday. The other thing was that when I put my car in for a service the garage said 'Don't bother, it's notworth it'. and Monday I bought a 'new' one, Tuesday I had a puncture on the motorway on the way home, wednesday a lorry turned over on the motorway and I sat in a traffic jam, both days I ended up getting home really late. Today I spent ages searching for the documents for my old car, can't find them anywhere, though i saw them last week, and tried to change a tap washer. That should have been easy. It would have been if the tap to turn the water off hadn't jammed, finally freeze the pipe and put in another tap, then find the tap on the sink that needs the washer is also solid, Arrrgh!

Lovely weather, hottest day so far, so tied up in stuff I forgot to open the greenhouse, that has cost me a good few seedlings. Arrrgh!

Wish I was just bored, Rhythmovpain, count your blessings :)

RhythmOvPain

Life has been making its presence felt lately. Monday I thought I had my problems better sorted. I had a broken off tooth extracted the week previously and had to leave my denture with the dentist, so had been wearing an old one that was almost impossible to eat with, half a stone lighter I got my proper teeth back monday. The other thing was that when I put my car in for a service the garage said 'Don't bother, it's notworth it'. and Monday I bought a 'new' one, Tuesday I had a puncture on the motorway on the way home, wednesday a lorry turned over on the motorway and I sat in a traffic jam, both days I ended up getting home really late. Today I spent ages searching for the documents for my old car, can't find them anywhere, though i saw them last week, and tried to change a tap washer. That should have been easy. It would have been if the tap to turn the water off hadn't jammed, finally freeze the pipe and put in another tap, then find the tap on the sink that needs the washer is also solid, Arrrgh!

Lovely weather, hottest day so far, so tied up in stuff I forgot to open the greenhouse, that has cost me a good few seedlings. Arrrgh!

Wish I was just bored, Rhythmovpain, count your blessings :)

I'm only bored because I choose to ignore my stress/that which stresses me.

Have you considered smoking weed? If anything, it'll give you a nice break.

Winston

WF Veterans
Ugh. Getting ready to take my son to The Navy Ball. Gotta dress-up. Polite, boring talk. No booze. I wish I was a Facebook junkie so I could dose-up while I was there.
His girl is already getting ready. Five hours ahead of time.
But, I get to treat myself first. Going to pick-up my new pistol. And leave it home. The Navy doesn't like people bringing weapons on base. Odd.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
The idea of a dry navy always amazes me, I am sure the British navy would not have managed half the things it did without rum. Mind you, that was back then, less acuracy more blood and guts I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread