Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

So how did everyone do? (1 Viewer)

tbs21

If you participated in nanowrimo 2006, share your experiences! Did you finish? Did you stop?

Jolly McJollyson

Would they have accepted it if I wrote a novel that would make E.E. Cummings proud and Ernest Hemingway jealous?

It would've been titled "The End."

And that would be the whole thing. Hundreds of blank pages bound in it, too.

tbs21

no jolly, i don't think that would count, but if it did...
anyway, everyone else must be resting right now.

R

Roberta

NaNo

How did I do? I finished. On the 26th I had 50,257 words. I added more after that. I did it last year also and completed. I had never heard of NANO until last year. It was the best thing I ever did as far as writing is concerned, . I wrote a novel and it is being published and will be out in a few weeks. It ie titled "Beyond The Ocean." I never would have attemped to write a novel. This year I wrote another novel. I am very grateful to Nano. I never would have writen so many words on my own. I neer would have written a novel. Roberta

CandieK

... I don't want to talk about it.

I could go on and make excuses, but I'll just leave it at I didn't finish. :'-(

S

silverwriter

I didn't either. About 31k.

I'm getting to the point where I use Nano as a method for a huge jumpstart on whatever I want to work on.

Hawke

Patron
Patron
I failed miserably, mainly because I stepped out about three days after NaNo started to work on the story at my own pace. My apologies and congratulations to those who made it as well as those who attempted it.

T

TDS

Horrible. I ended up with only about 8,000 or so words because of my minimalist style. However I'm going into NaNoFiMo(National Novel Finishing Month).

Jocelyn

This was my first year doing it, and no, I didn't make it to the goal. Stopped at about 16,000 words. However, this was the first time that I wasn't my own worst obstacle. I forced myself to write, write, write, and quit looking back over previous pages to find areas of improvement. I think I'll use this experience to get future first drafts written.

Congrats Roberta. What about you, tbs21?

Dan

Hey, all:

I'm glad I found a site like this. The others I've been a member of have devolved into, uh, crap.

Anyway, this was my first year doing NaNo, and I finished with 50,223 words, which is about half of what I think the finished novel will be. I will definitely do it again next year, and I recommend it to anyone else who really wants to kick start their writing and see what they're capable of.

dan

Flexbile Garphite

I had about 70000 words before I joined Nano so I figured it would be unfair to everyone else if I were to apply for the "win". But I guess we're all in this together... my first draft is finished at 115000 words. Time for the daunting task of editing......

O

olrayt

i joined nanowrimo and completed the whole 50,000 word requirement, but dang my writing suffered. i had my main character do all sorts of things, like die, come back to life, become a trannie, then back again. still, it teaches discipline, something i sorely lacked that time. :D

S

silverwriter

National Novel Finishing Month - December. Not actually a creation of the NaNoWriMo competition like NaNoEdMo and NaNoShoStoMo (not sure if I have that one right) are.

http://www.nanofimo.org/

Wyndstar

I didn't register for it because I didn't think I'd even be able to manage anything at all, given the time--but I started it as a project for a friend. I did a lot of it almost subconsciously because it was basically stuff on things he told me and that we've been goofing around with for over 10 years. I looked yesterday and realized--I'm on the third notebook! From pretty near around the deadline. I stopped counting the words after 60,000. It makes NO sense to anyone but him and I, I'd never let anyone not strung out on moonshine to read it, and I actually managed three sex scenes in it. GOOD scenes. Who knew? I might actually register for it next year.

Still waiting on Silver's from this year, though...

S

silverwriter

Working on it. It's still trying to break free from any plot line I try to shove it into.

Wyndstar

silverwriter said:
Working on it. It's still trying to break free from any plot line I try to shove it into.

But you're the writer, Silver, and weaving reality out of chaos is what its all about. So tell your chars to behave--

Oh wait--I know who your chars are.

Warned ya...

D

DxS

I signed up for Nano but school suddenly got real hectic and I didn't get any of it done in the month they designated. I've been thinking about writing the story I wanted to write anyway, but so far I haven't pushed myself to start writing yet.

S

silverwriter

Wyndstar said:
But you're the writer, Silver, and weaving reality out of chaos is what its all about. So tell your chars to behave--

Oh wait--I know who your chars are.

Warned ya...

Mmhmm. Precisely.

At least your brother is behaving (at the moment) like he is supposed to.