Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Simple Introduction (1 Viewer)

T

The Great Usurper

I know lots of formally trained writers (e.g., English degree, Journalism degree) that can't write at all, so don't worry too much about your informal approach. Read more, learn the language, be creative, and enjoy yourself.

Welcome.
 

wis3on3

Senior Member
i welcome all thosssssse who come here. all i asssssk, issss that you come clossssser, come to me and my darknesssssss. my shadowsssss will grab you and pull you in, till you sssssso clossssse, that you cannot essscape me. you feel yoursssself being pulled to me, clossssser and clossssser... :twisted:
 

A Simple Man

Senior Member
wis3on3 said:
i welcome all thosssssse who come here. all i asssssk, issss that you come clossssser, come to me and my darknesssssss. my shadowsssss will grab you and pull you in, till you sssssso clossssse, that you cannot essscape me. you feel yoursssself being pulled to me, clossssser and clossssser... :twisted:

Interesting conversations, just ahead on your left. I might meander by later.
 

Seras

Member
A Simple Man said:
"Simple" also serves as my primary disclaimer, since I have no formal training in the art of "writing". What I do have is a relentless and ever growing pressure to write something, anything. My twenty year long resistance finally failed several months ago, so here I am, ready to see where this leads.


*laughs* I have a degree in English and though my writing has improved while there, it would have improved on its own regardless of which college I went to.

Writing isn't like being an electrician. You have to be trained to be an electrician, to be a writer you have to be born with that special knack for story telling.

Writers have existed long before university's and tuition, and they will exist long after all those institutions have been reduced to dust.

*coughs* sorry, slipped into "philosophic mode" there for a second o_O
 

A Simple Man

Senior Member
Seras said:
...... to be a writer you have to be born with that special knack for story telling.....

If there is a story telling knack that requires fifty years of experience to click "on", then I may yet find it.

Since experience drives my need to write, experience is what will be written, at first. We'll see if any credible stories flow from there.
 

SkullFarmer

Senior Member
Personally, I have always subscribed to the idea that simple is usually best. After all, what is really better or less convoluted than a kiss from your girl (or guy), a good cup of coffee or a random chance conversation from which you learn something valuable?

Simple has no negative connotation for this reader. Besides, your intro has a few too many clever turns of phrase for anyone to think of you as a simpleton :D

-SF
 

A Simple Man

Senior Member
SkullFarmer said:
Personally, I have always subscribed to the idea that simple is usually best. After all, what is really better or less convoluted than a kiss from your girl (or guy), a good cup of coffee or a random chance conversation from which you learn something valuable?

-SF

A kindred spirit!
Well met, friend.
 

Ty_lol

Senior Member
Nice to have yeah aboard. Feel free to post as you wish. Everyone here is quite helful. If you need any help feel free to give me a PM.
Ty
 

A Simple Man

Senior Member
Thanks, I will need it.

I am still reeling under the fresh load of newly realized ignorance.

No complaints though. I have work to do, is all.
 
L

Lenny Pumpskin

'Simple' to me means not yet f*ked up. Which is a good thing.

Don't worry too much about formal trainig. I don't have much. You can pick up the basics in lots of instuctional books. 'Elements of Style' is a classic that deals with mechanics, and I like 'Steering the Craft' and 'Aspects of the Novel' for theory. Remember, if you can read, you can write.
 

A Simple Man

Senior Member
Lenny Pumpskin said:
'Simple' to me means not yet f*ked up. Which is a good thing.

Don't worry too much about formal trainig. I don't have much. You can pick up the basics in lots of instuctional books. 'Elements of Style' is a classic that deals with mechanics, and I like 'Steering the Craft' and 'Aspects of the Novel' for theory. Remember, if you can read, you can write.

Thank you for the references!

There will be no "formal training" for me as I am carrying two through college with a third in the queue.

The pressure to write became overwhelming, so I sought out this place, and was happy to discover that the pressure is known here.

My training will be here, it is all I have, and I am more than content with that.
 

A Simple Man

Senior Member
Since I am so completely transparent and shameless in going about the business of telling my own story, maybe I could shoot for a "Portnoy's Complaint" tale in a "Dandelion Wine" style?

Nothing like lofty goals, eh?

edit: nah, that ain't likely...
 
Last edited:

A Simple Man

Senior Member
Jack here:
Mikey gave me his password so I can comment on his work. I don't want my own account. I am no writer.
I didn't tell Mikey that I was going to give his password to Sue from down at the bar. She is a practical sort and used to be a school teacher in a past life. Between the two of us we will keep him in check.
 
Top