Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Should you have to stand? (1 Viewer)

JoannaMac

I wonder why this is so?
(this is me being a smartarse again)

Well, if one fifth of them can't even place their own country on a world map, other countries haven't a hope either.
Only Americans have ever asked me stupid questions like

Is Australia next to India?
No wait, it's next to Africa right?
To you have telephones everywhere in Australia?
Do you have internet in Australia?
Can everyone play the didjeridoo?

When ever they ask me questions like this, I tell them that we have rubber flaps on our doors to keep the snakes out, that we have public kangeroo feeding stations because we really care about local flora and fauna, that koalas live in my garden........... and they ALWAYS BELIEVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, I know all Americans aren't ignorant, and heck, Aussies aren't always the brightest bunch either.

Hodge

pliable
Dude. People in the U.S. still think Alaskans live in igloos and that polar bears live as far south as I am.

If they can't get Alaska right, how can you expect them to get Australia right? The only thing you guys have going is that Outback Steakhouse and Foster's have run large ad campaigns on TV to inform everyone that Aussies are slim, tan, happy, and not afraid to frolic in bikinis and shorts to show off their killer abs and large breasts.

The Backward OX

WF Veterans
I'm currently searching Ebay for a cheap, good keyboard to send to "the_weird_turn_pro88" because apparantly his caps key is stuck on his current keyboard.
Here's a better idea - send him off to the Marianas with a suggestion he and mammamaia interbreed. The resultant off-spring might strike a happy medium.

The Backward OX

WF Veterans
Well, if one fifth of them can't even place their own country on a world map, other countries haven't a hope either.
Only Americans have ever asked me stupid questions like

Is Australia next to India?
No wait, it's next to Africa right?
To you have telephones everywhere in Australia?
Do you have internet in Australia?
Can everyone play the didjeridoo?

When ever they ask me questions like this, I tell them that we have rubber flaps on our doors to keep the snakes out, that we have public kangeroo feeding stations because we really care about local flora and fauna, that koalas live in my garden........... and they ALWAYS BELIEVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, I know all Americans aren't ignorant, and heck, Aussies aren't always the brightest bunch either.
Hang about! There ARE koalas in MY garden. And in the park down the street, and in the neighbours' gardens.

The Backward OX

WF Veterans
CURSE HAS STARTED SOMETHING THAT I NOW SEE ISN'T WORTH THE READING AND WRITING, SO HERE'S MY FINAL THOUGHT: THE ESSAY, IF YOU CAN CALL A PARAGRAPH AND A HALF AN ESSAY, WAS BOTH REDUNDANT AND UNNECESSARY. I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL YOU PEOPLE GET OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL, WHERE YOU'LL FIND THE REAL PROBLEMS IN LIFE. WHO KNOWS, MAYBE YOU'LL INHERIT YOUR OWN, BUT TRY STANDING BACK TO LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE INSTEAD OF LOSING FOCUS ON THE TINY DETAILS AND THEORETICS.
A. WE ARE INDEED UNDER SUBSTANDARD LEADERSHIP RIGHT NOW, ON A COVERT LEVEL OF CORRUPTION...
B. THESE ARGUMENTS HAVE BEEN THROWN BACK AND FORTH AMONGST AMERICANS FOR THE LAST SIXTY YEARS....
C. DEBATING THESE ARGUMENTS AMONG WRITERS, AS INSPIRATIONAL AS THEY MAY BE, WON'T HELP A THING AND WON'T MAKE A CHANGE.
HEY MR MAGOO THERE'S A RULE THAT SAYS POSTS IN ALL CAPS WILL BE DELETED.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I know Nixon got a pardon, but impeaching him was quite an achievement for their system. Can't think of another country offhand that has fixed a rotten boss like that without major upheaval Ox.

JoannaMac

I know Nixon got a pardon, but impeaching him was quite an achievement for their system. Can't think of another country offhand that has fixed a rotten boss like that without major upheaval Ox.

I can't either. Americans are good like that. They seem to have great faith in their system and when they realize it's been violated, they really get up in arms about it. I've been hearing about neighbourhood meetings where thousands of people turned up to talk about impeaching Gonzales. It seems to have worked.

JoannaMac

Dude. People in the U.S. still think Alaskans live in igloos and that polar bears live as far south as I am.

If they can't get Alaska right, how can you expect them to get Australia right? The only thing you guys have going is that Outback Steakhouse and Foster's have run large ad campaigns on TV to inform everyone that Aussies are slim, tan, happy, and not afraid to frolic in bikinis and shorts to show off their killer abs and large breasts.

I didn't even know what an 'Outback Steakhouse' was until I got to Korea :) I'm sure there's plenty of Australian's out there dying to ask you about the igloos and polar bears, but they won't ask for fear of looking stupid, especially given the amount of stereotypes people believe about us.

It is true though that the sun has fried our brains to a certain extent and that drinking beer is a national pass time. One in three people gets skin cancer so there aren't so many people running around without clothes on these days. In some places children are not allowed outside at lunchtime without a long sleeved shirt, a hat and sunscreen. Insurance companies won't insure outdoor workers unless they are protected adequately from the sun. The hole in the ozone layer is such that there is an actual line beyond which things won't grow.

End of first lesson 'Australia 101'

O

Old Man

They shouldn't force you, but you should. I don't see why people can't get off of their lazy asses and stand for half a minute and be thankful that they are allowed in the country. I'd stand for another country's flag if I were in the country, as respect for the place, thanks for allowing me there, and because I'd want them to do the same. You don't even have to say anthing. But you should at least stand and respect what it stands for, with or without the "God" part. People not from America who don't stand wouldn't want someone to disrespect what their country stands for, so why would they not stand for our's. I don't see why it's so hard for someone to stand up.