Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Should we write with a "rating" in mind? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJCaan

Should books have ratings like movies? I know they have categories, but I've read some YA books that would be rated R if they were a movie. THe current novel I'm writing is definitely not for children, but that doesn't meant they would not enjoy it (as long as they were mature enough to handle it). Do you go into writing a project with that in mind? Is commercial success easier for certain "ratings"?
Thanks,
M.J. Caan

Fin

A Retired Nobody
WF Veterans
Depends on what genre you're going for. At this stage of my writing, I've been doing a lot of YA stuff. In that case, I know that you can't go too far. Yes, a lot of the stuff would be Rated R, but I know I have to be careful around certain aspects, especially the ones dealing with sex. Just keep your genre in mind. Check up on what's allowed and what isn't.

Here, I'll give an example! Warning for the content below. Evil stuff lurks.
---​

Barney could feel his body tingle as the child moved in for a hug.

'I love you. . . You love me. . .' he sang, moving his hand down the child's back.

Feeling a stab, the child pulled back, interrupting Barney's song.

'Hey, what's that?' the child said, pointing to a spot on the lower part of Barney's costume.

'Oh dear, don't worry about that. It's just my tail.'

'You have two tails? Cool! Can I touch? Please?'

Before Barney could say anything, the child's hand closed in. . .

---​

Now, does that belong in a children's book?

Now that I read it over. . . does it really belong anywhere? I need professional help. :(

Last edited:

shadowwalker

WF Veterans
I would say if you're writing for younger kids (pre-teen, early teen), it's a concern. Ideally, the parents are still involved in what kids are reading at those ages, but... Then again, if you're writing for that age group, I would assume you're not writing Lolita anyway. I've also heard/read that some authors will toss in sex scenes in order to boost sales, but I don't know if that's urban legend or actuality - I know I've read some books where that would certainly seem to be the only reason for them.

Kyle R

WF Veterans
Depends on what genre you're going for. At this stage of my writing, I've been doing a lot of YA stuff. In that case, I know that you can't go too far. Yes, a lot of the stuff would be Rated R, but I know I have to be careful around certain aspects, especially the ones dealing with sex. Just keep your genre in mind. Check up on what's allowed and what isn't.

Here, I'll give an example! Warning for the content below. Evil stuff lurks.
---​

Barney could feel his body tingle as the child moved in for a hug.

'I love you. . . You love me. . .' he sang, moving his hand down the child's back.

Feeling a stab, the child pulled back, interrupting Barney's song.

'Hey, what's that?' the child said, pointing to a spot on the lower part of Barney's costume.

'Oh dear, don't worry about that. It's just my tail.'

'You have two tails? Cool! Can I touch? Please?'

Before Barney could say anything, the child's hand closed in. . .

---​

Now, does that belong in a children's book?

Now that I read it over. . . does it really belong anywhere? I need professional help. :(

Barney the Purple Pervert-saurus. Lol.

MJCaan

Fin: That was...different. And..disturbing LOL. But it made its point. I don't want to limit myself to any particular group, but I just feel that the nature of my story is more adult oriented. Even though there is not a single sex scene in it. So far.

Gamer_2k4

WF Veterans
I just write what I'd be comfortable reading. In my case, that means about a PG-13 rating (language, violence). However, that doesn't mean I'm writing a YA novel; it simply means that I don't see the need for excessive sex, profanity, or other grittiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.