Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Short Story Anthologies? (1 Viewer)

Bob Loblaw

I'm going to the library soon, and decided to check out some short story anthologies to see the art of the short story. The only one I have in mind is the "The Best Nonrequired Reading" series (which has both fiction and nonfiction). Is there anything else? Anybody has any recommendations?

josephwise

If you have access to a college book-shop, they usually have some great anthologies. You can probably get them online, too. They're usually enormous, with study questions, intros, etc. Otherwise, the art of the short story is very well displayed in works written by: James Joyce, Henry James, Herman Melville, Ray Bradbury, Ernest Hemmingway, and, yes, some EARLY Stephen King. In my opinion.

I think I've mentioned my fondness for this title before in another thread, but it bears repeating that I highly recommend Where I'm Calling From by Raymond Carver. You will gain much insight into the modern short story, but not only will you learn alot, you'll enjoy reading them, too. At least I have. Also, check out a short story collection by Joyce Carol Oates. She's awesome! There is a new collection out by her with stories spanning her entire career. I believe it's called High Lonesome.

Stewart

Some Rain Must Fall, Michel Faber
The Fahrenheit Twins, Michel Faber
The Lottery and Other Stories, Shirley Jackson
Dubliners, James Joyce
Interpreter Of Maladies, Jhumpa Lahiri
Collected Stories, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Long Valley, John Steinbeck
Collected Stories, Richard Yates

Also, Anton Chekhov is regarded as one of the best writers of short stories. You could do worse than starting with him.

Oh! I would definately say "The Complete Humorous Sketches and Tales Of Mark Twain". It's a big book and it's full of great short stories. I love Mark Twain. Some of the stories are really long, but some are really short,about not even a page.

strangedaze

some contemporaries:

Rust and Bone by Craig Davidson
Pugilist at Rest by Thom Jones
Sonny Liston was a Friend of Mine by Thom Jones
Ladykiller by Charlotte Gill

Arin

The collection of Flannery O'Conner's short stories is really good. She has some bizarre stuff in there, but there are also some really good ones.

Last edited:

Wilderness

I would also recommend another Raymond Carver anthology, Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?

Also, Elliot Perlman has a brilliant short story book published called The Reasons I Won't be Coming.
I also highly reccomend that.
Lani

Stewart

Might as well just list all the Carver anthologies then:

Cathedral,
Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love

Must say, I've read (well, part read) one of his stories from the latter collection and it has put me off reading him. Too dry for me, I'm afraid.

Rob

Stewart said:
Might as well just list all the Carver anthologies then:

Cathedral,
Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love

Must say, I've read (well, part read) one of his stories from the latter collection and it has put me off reading him. Too dry for me, I'm afraid.
Old thread, but I'm curious, Stewart. Can you remember which story it was that you read and thought was too dry?

Cheers,
Omni