Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Short Sci-Fi Plot Idea (1 Viewer)

Save.Face.

This dream has been eating at me, and I'm growing a universe around the events of it to try to make some sense out of it. This is just an overview of events, really, but I'd love some input. Does this sound like anything anyone has read? Does it sound like something worth expanding?

The first race.

There was a race that stopped us from leaving our home system once. They seemed like a nightmare, at first, but we could fight them for a time. Three years we pushed them back, while millions of humans died of a mysterious disease. We discovered it was proximity to these creatures that killed us. We never knew why until we discovered that their souls were killing us. Ours were inside our bodies, diffused in flesh, and theirs they wore about them like auras.
The more of them that gathered, the stronger and wider the effect. In the third year of the war they had pushed us back to mars, and mankind was on it's last legs.
We stumbled on something that naturally suppressed the effect of their souls on ours, and quickly learned to synthesize it. With these suppression tabs we humans stood a chance. We were able to push them back to Europa, where we fortified a bastion and mined the materials to produce tabs enough for the war effort.

The castes of Xenos had different feels and strengths to their auras, and when one man searches for a his friend who is marooned underground on a faraway moon, he finds a crypt full of ancient Xenos bodies. His suppression tabs run out and he is poisoned by these ancient dead souls, which cause him to go mad for a time, but do not kill him.
These souls assimilate his own and he is imbued with their knowledge and gifts, wherein he sees that the Xenos race has betrayed their ancestral purpose, and while the old him hates the Xenos, the influence of these ancient souls convinces him to battle them to show them the true path of their race once more.
He returns home to find himself changed and ostracized by his own race, save those few who understand that his solution to this xenocidal war may be the only one they can pursue.

The Xenos:
Humanoid, but with a cartilage built endoskeleton, elastic seeming, bipedal things. They seem built for water at a glance, but breathe hydrogen. Their bodies are porous in the extreme, and they steam almost constantly, because they breathe through their skin, though they have one working humanlike lung which can pull the hydrogen from almost anything (water, other atmospheres). They can survive the void of space by crystallizing their skin, though this means that they are immobile while in the void.
They have assimilated human speech, but have no language of their own apart from song, which they use to great extent. Their auras, or souls, mesh when they are close, but are not a hive mind.
The souls of their dead diffuse into the souls of the living, however, and certain members of their warrior caste have 'eaten' the souls of others for the experiences and knowledge they will gain. When a warlord or high official, or someone respected in their society is close to death, they often choose a younger member of the race they favor to murder them and 'eat' their soul. It is a great honor to be chosen, and assures that the culture is not lost to time.
Emotions and personality are to some extent transferred as well in this process, meaning that one must be careful who they assimilate.
When the Xenos race was young it was extremely tumultuous because of the greed involved in assimilating souls, but had since become very ordered and empiric. They are warlike in many ways, but are pack creatures above all. They do everything as a team, with their auras allowing for near omniescent teamwork.

Aaaand that's about as far as I've gotten with it. Tips, input?

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
The old battle of the planets. This has been explored, with differences in detail, since cave men told stories round the camp fire. It is an enduring theme that still has a lot to recommend it.

Your cast of characters seem interesting and the Xenos are different to anything I have come across. I suggest you would find it easier if the Xenos did have a language, or even several languages.

The world building will be fun.

Good luck with your project.
Bazz

Nee

The first race.

There was a race that stopped us from leaving our home system once. They seemed like a nightmare, at first, but we could fight them for a time. Three years we pushed them back, while millions of humans died of a mysterious disease. We discovered it was proximity to these creatures that killed us. We never knew why until we discovered that their souls were killing us. Ours were inside our bodies, diffused in flesh, and theirs they wore about them like auras.
The more of them that gathered, the stronger and wider the effect. In the third year of the war they had pushed us back to mars, and mankind was on it's last legs.
We stumbled on something that naturally suppressed the effect of their souls on ours, and quickly learned to synthesize it. With these suppression tabs we humans stood a chance. We were able to push them back to Europa, where we fortified a bastion and mined the materials to produce tabs enough for the war effort.

Volume One.

The castes of Xenos had different feels and strengths to their auras, and when one man searches for a his friend who is marooned underground on a faraway moon, he finds a crypt full of ancient Xenos bodies. His suppression tabs run out and he is poisoned by these ancient dead souls, which cause him to go mad for a time, but do not kill him.
These souls assimilate his own and he is imbued with their knowledge and gifts, wherein he sees that the Xenos race has betrayed their ancestral purpose, and while the old him hates the Xenos, the influence of these ancient souls convinces him to battle them to show them the true path of their race once more.
He returns home to find himself changed and ostracized by his own race, save those few who understand that his solution to this xenocidal war may be the only one they can pursue.

Volume Two.

The Xenos:
Humanoid, but with a cartilage built endoskeleton, elastic seeming, bipedal things. They seem built for water at a glance, but breathe hydrogen. Their bodies are porous in the extreme, and they steam almost constantly, because they breathe through their skin, though they have one working humanlike lung which can pull the hydrogen from almost anything (water, other atmospheres). They can survive the void of space by crystallizing their skin, though this means that they are immobile while in the void.
They have assimilated human speech, but have no language of their own apart from song, which they use to great extent. Their auras, or souls, mesh when they are close, but are not a hive mind.
The souls of their dead diffuse into the souls of the living, however, and certain members of their warrior caste have 'eaten' the souls of others for the experiences and knowledge they will gain. When a warlord or high official, or someone respected in their society is close to death, they often choose a younger member of the race they favor to murder them and 'eat' their soul. It is a great honor to be chosen, and assures that the culture is not lost to time.
Emotions and personality are to some extent transferred as well in this process, meaning that one must be careful who they assimilate.
When the Xenos race was young it was extremely tumultuous because of the greed involved in assimilating souls, but had since become very ordered and empiric. They are warlike in many ways, but are pack creatures above all. They do everything as a team, with their auras allowing for near omniescent teamwork.

Volume Three.

Save.Face.

I like the volume idea. If I could have this written like a periodical then it would be just perfect. Tidbits to advance the story. Much easier, in my opinion, to delve into individual ideas and characters that way.

knightforce

What about a Xenos-human romance to make things a little interesting? Or, a Xenos rebel....?

Xenos society reminds me very much of one of my favorite, favorite comic-books....the Micronauts. In it, Baron Karza used these things called the body banks to basically use the body parts of the masses to bestow eternal youth on the nobility, which was part of how he made sure that they bowed to him.

Anyway, the thing is that...Xenos society, it sounds so rough and tyrannical--admittedly, they are an ALIEN culture--but what if there was a member of that society that rebelled, possibly? Just seems like that would be interesting. Maybe a guy who spent a lot of time fighting the humans, but somehow their ideas about individuality and such rubbed off on him?

Anyway, I like the idea. Lot of epic feel to it.

BluntAshwater

I'm liking this idea so far, especially this part:

"The castes of Xenos had different feels and strengths to their auras, and when one man searches for a his friend who is marooned underground on a faraway moon, he finds a crypt full of ancient Xenos bodies. His suppression tabs run out and he is poisoned by these ancient dead souls, which cause him to go mad for a time, but do not kill him.
He returns home to find himself changed and ostracized by his own race, save those few who understand that his solution to this xenocidal war may be the only one they can pursue."

Definite potential, drop me a PM once you've started writing, I would gladly offer a critique :)

Saiknohx

I would love to read more of this. This man seems like he's going to be caught in the middle of all of this, and it'd be great to see how it plays out.

Fressno

I have an idea. What if the character "poisoned" was contacted by a similiar xenos, they teamed up and started to work towards peace. What is that xenos had against all odds, was able to assimilate an old human wise mans personality and experience, beeing able to see the humans as they are, or somewhat. would give the story a serious but comical turn while they join up, a bit rivalistic against eachother, but working towards the same goal. making misstakes along the road while tyring to cope with feeling and memories of eachothers races.
i like the part where he finds ancient bodies. just the word " ancient" makes my ears and eyes focus alot longer on the story =)
give me a pm if you would like to talk more about your story, would gladly help out as much as i can.
keep working, i want to read more =)

Red Heron

I love your description of the aliens, they sound appropriately bizarre. I would like to know more about your protagonist, can you tell us about him? Or are you going to start posting excerpts soon?

Save.Face.

I have the first two excerpts up. The title is pack size. They will be from a military standpoint to build the story and showcase the alien a bit before I get into the heavy stuff. I think a short story for each of the main characters I plan on using will make up the story. Still a work in progress, however. Let me know what you think about the xenos when you read, eh? Thanks for taking the time!

Users who are viewing this thread