Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Short Fiction Market Tips (2 Viewers)

Kyle R

WF Veterans
Here's a thread for any hints/tips you have for submitting to short fiction markets. Feel free to request info about any particular markets, to see if other members have anything to say. Or add any info of your own!

I'll get the ball rolling with a few:

Clarkesworld Magazine - www.clarkesworldmagazine.com

- the more unconventional and surprising your narrative is, the better your chances (advice from a former slush reader, and from the editor)
- skip the cover letter formalities and simply put, "Thank you for considering my story", where your cover letter should go. This advice comes directly from the editor
- 4,000 words is their statistical "sweet spot"
- they like SFF stories in the serious-to-sad emotional range, written in a literary style, and have a notable preference for narratives involving space travel

Response time: blistering fast response time of 2 days or less. If your submission survives more than a few days in their queue, then you've likely done something right

Daily Science Fiction - www.dailysciencefiction.com

- they ask for 1,500 words or less, but your chances significantly improve if you write a decent flash in under 500 words
- their submission form strips formatting, so don't send in a story in which italics are important
- they have a notable preference for SFF stories with a narrative twist or punch

Response time: expect a response in 2 to 3 weeks, with a second round of consideration (if you reach this point) lasting an additional 2 to 4 weeks.

Flash Fiction Online - www.flashfictiononline.com

- they like character-centric stories that establish the conflict/stakes early, then deliver on the narrative promise by the end
- if you want the shortest response time possible, submit near the end of the month
- they strongly dislike cat stories, or anything revolving around cats (seriously)
- if you make it to their final ("winnowing") round, but ultimately receive a rejection, they'll send you a transcript of their staff conversations/deliberations about your story

Response time: they tend to respond to submissions on a monthly basis (January submissions are responded to in February, etc...). Expect a rejection before the 10th of the month. If you make it past the 10th, then you've reached "winnowing" round. If you make it past the 20th, then they're considering publishing your story.

Fractured Literary - www.fracturedlit.com

- they like literary/surreal stories, in the serious-to-sad emotional range, with an emphasis on the human condition
- they prefer emotional/poetic stories with unconventional narrative styles
- they ask for 1,000 words or less, but often publish stories closer to the 500-word range

Response time: expect a response in 2 to 3 weeks

Last edited:

EternalGreen

I would point out that right now publishers are taking their sweet time to send rejections, so the regular time-considerations don't necessarily apply.

Matchu

I always imagine FFiction online as the one man: the pile of boxes to his left side, the anthologies. To his right stands the bookcase and his children's crafting medals coated in dust. Computer burns his eyes, his in-box of 499,972 monkeys, he calls us monkeys, by God! Not funny.

Dear SIr, Big House on Prairie is was my runner up in the inaugural world prairie fiction prize, my submission Big House on the Prairie, winner of St Savannah Junior college write around, Big House on Prairie author, your Jason JT R Hoisinundhammerzikkle-Weiner.

DELETE... .... ....auto-rejection posted...auto-rejection posted...auto rejection posted

Next one...

Hi Ricky, it's me again, Matty! I hope you are well, and my latest hilarious new story is...

DELETE & BLOCK & DIE...send virus

Happy Birthday Mister Editor, my novella-ette explores one woman's passion, arousal , obsession with a mystical sub-editor creature, as his spam prods her in-box

ACCEPTANCE Green go0go0go

..... ....

I GOT THE WRONG MAGAZINE, 'FICTION ****' something else

Last edited: