Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Sharing parts of your work-anxious (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
I am new to the forum and forums in general, I am still in the "wonderful" drafting process of my story. I wanted to join to get critique partners and writing friends because as much as writing can be fun it can also be terrible. I do art as well so the love/hate process of my work is not new to me but writing is a whole new level. This is the first time I have taken it this seriously and the farther in the process I go the more amazed I am at my own ignorance lol

I want to get better as a writer and I like the idea of pursuing publishing. Honestly, I don't expect my work to be "good enough" to traditionally publish yet (if ever) I am still a "novice." I don't have much of an idea of where my current writing level is except that I've improved since starting the first chapter of my first draft.
I would like to post a snippet of a chapter but this would be the first time sharing a part of my draft with anyone other than my S/O. They are super sweet and encouraging but they are not much of a reader/ writer.

The idea of sharing even a part of my work is very anxiety-inducing, but I know I have to do it. What was it like sharing your first story/poem/snippet etc? I've shared my work before (when I was in school) but it was to teachers and online friends. I was a bit arrogant about my writing at the time so I don't think it bothered me as much to share haha
I would be grateful to hear how you got past your anxiety with sharing and where you are currently as a writer. Thanks!

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Down below you'll find a forum called 'Fiction Workshop', which is a good place to share your work and get feedback from others.

Anxiety is normal, but you'll be sharing with kindred spirits, so try not to worry. We're all here to help each other.

We get better at what we do, so write and post it in the Fiction Workshop for constructive feedback. There are also a ton of videos and books on writing, so take advantage of those too.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum. I am a novice to fiction writing as well, working on my first novel.

I echo indianroads, there is a lot of excellent feedback here. Another good place to get feedback is the monthly Literary Maneuvers contest. I was really nervous to enter the first time but so glad I did. The judge who gave me the lowest marks also gave me the greatest positive feedback and was very encouraging.

I look forward to reading your work!

Last edited:

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Down below you'll find a forum called 'Fiction Workshop', which is a good place to share your work and get feedback from others.

Anxiety is normal, but you'll be sharing with kindred spirits, so try not to worry. We're all here to help each other.

We get better at what we do, so write and post it in the Fiction Workshop for constructive feedback. There are also a ton of videos and books on writing, so take advantage of those too.

Unfortunately I do not have access to the workshop yet, should I post the snippet in fiction showcase?

LCLee

Financial Supporter
You should do the requirement for the forum and you will get a lot of help. I hear your concerns about the work involved. As you know with art—and I'm thinking of painting sculpture type—is sometimes subjective. Writing a novel there are objective concerns that you should address, SPAG being one of them. There are transitions, syntax, and passive and active sentence structure. Make sure you have theses objective things in your storehouse before you display your subjective prose.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
I will try and do the requirements to get in the forum. I just joined yesterday. Yes I need to work on my spag. For sure. I am thinking about picking up some grammar books. Does anyone use skillshare for writing? I was thinking about joining for writing and other things.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
The idea of sharing even a part of my work is very anxiety-inducing, but I know I have to do it. What was it like sharing your first story/poem/snippet etc?
Let's talk about Henry Fonda for a moment. The man had an acting career that spanned five decades and at age 75 he was STILL throwing up each night before a stage performance. Then he would get ready and step out on stage and do the thing he was scared to do.

We might be afraid of criticism. We might be afraid of being seen. We're often afraid of nothing more than being afraid.

So I'm sorry to say it's time to tell the anxiety where to shove it and get your work out where you want it to be...to people who can read it. It'll probably get easier than acting was on poor Henry.

I was more like the school-you, at first when I shared something I thought I was doing the world a favor, stand back, my writing is the best you've ever seen. And I got some comments letting me know that this wasn't the case. At this point I had to decide whether to quit, crawl into a hole and die, or find out what I hadn't paid attention to.

Then I found out that there was a LOT I didn't know. Dang! HUGE disappointment! I didn't know everything! 😲

So I've been fighting through learning and writing and trying to improve ever since and I'll probably do that until I die. That's okay. It's the ride I want to be on. Maybe I'll even have some modest success along the way.

I, too, am often afraid of being afraid. I just have decided to tell the fear to stick it, it doesn't get to win the day. At least not most days.

Welcome to the fight, it's worth it.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Let's talk about Henry Fonda for a moment. The man had an acting career that spanned five decades and at age 75 he was STILL throwing up each night before a stage performance. Then he would get ready and step out on stage and do the thing he was scared to do.

We might be afraid of criticism. We might be afraid of being seen. We're often afraid of nothing more than being afraid.

So I'm sorry to say it's time to tell the anxiety where to shove it and get your work out where you want it to be...to people who can read it. It'll probably get easier than acting was on poor Henry.

I was more like the school-you, at first when I shared something I thought I was doing the world a favor, stand back, my writing is the best you've ever seen. And I got some comments letting me know that this wasn't the case. At this point I had to decide whether to quit, crawl into a hole and die, or find out what I hadn't paid attention to.

Then I found out that there was a LOT I didn't know. Dang! HUGE disappointment! I didn't know everything! 😲

So I've been fighting through learning and writing and trying to improve ever since and I'll probably do that until I die. That's okay. It's the ride I want to be on. Maybe I'll even have some modest success along the way.

I, too, am often afraid of being afraid. I just have decided to tell the fear to stick it, it doesn't get to win the day. At least not most days.

Welcome to the fight, it's worth it.
I plan to share my work for critique for sure. The thought of course, just makes me nervous. I was wanting to get the know the forum a bit better before I do. Even when I started writing again a couple months ago I knew it wasn't going to be great and it was going to be hard. The crazy thing is, I didn't realize how hard and I'm glad I didn't because I don't think I would've started, it would've been too overwhelming. I realized the difficulty and the time it would take when I was already into deep. Now I'm in it to complete because I've already put so much into it. I did force myself to create a writing habit early on so that helped. But yeah, realizing you're not that great is never fun but the good news is you are more inclined to improve accepting that fact. Lool

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Check out YouTube for writing videos, and Reedsy is a site with a lot of online talks about various aspects of writing. Also, you might do an online search for writing guilds in your area, they’re a good source for advice and support.

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
I would be grateful to hear how you got past your anxiety with sharing and where you are currently as a writer. Thanks!

To the first: My fear of criticism was eventually outweighed by needing a second set of eyes on things. I can make the letters into words and words into sentences easily enough, but I never could sell myself on the idea that the resultant stories were any good. Sooner or later you have to ask somebody outside your circle of friends, who isn't tied to you by blood, and who doesn't know you well enough to mind putting bruises on your ego.

I was going to be an instant worldwide success and an overnight millionaire, mind you, and my stories were going to unite the world, solve global hunger...and probably a bunch of other stupid superhero crap well above my fourteen year old expertise. I was in good company, as most beginning writers harbor this delusion.

To the second: I still don't consider myself especially good...but I don't suck as bad as I used to.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Check out YouTube for writing videos, and Reedsy is a site with a lot of online talks about various aspects of writing. Also, you might do an online search for writing guilds in your area, they’re a good source for advice and support.
I have watched a published author named Alexa Donne she has helped me out a lot with advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.