Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Share the joy: what's your writing success today? (4 Viewers)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Rode around on my motorcycles (with the cold weather they've been in the garage for a couple months). I'm considering trading my 2014 Indian Vintage for one of the new, smaller Indians - at 66 yo it's getting tough lifting an 830 pound motorcycle.
Y'know we do have a 'post a selfie' thread here somewhere and if you're shy you can still post a pic of the motorcycle. I wouldn't be mad at that at all. :D

vranger

Staff member
Global Moderator
I finished my editing read-through last night just before midnight, and spot-checked a few places today to scrub excess prepositional phrases. I decided to stop doing that in the draft, and finish it in the proofread, since I'll be going over it one sentence at a time in that process anyway. So I've just compiled the Scrivener files into an RTF, and in a few minutes I'll have it uploaded to my proofreading app and parsed into sentences (and individual words ... which is how I identify my own set of overworked words).

For 100K words, proofreading will take me about 35 man-hours. It's real work, but it's also very effective. I recently followed an author to his Amazon page and found a typo in the second paragraph of his preview. This is my defense against that! LOL

vranger

Staff member
Global Moderator
9263 sentences to proof, and closing in on 24 hours later I'm down to 5000. LOL I have modified 727 of them. Only a few of those were typos, the rest was fiddling to improve clarity, drop some preposition phrases, and the like. I'm going to guess about 15 were actual typos.

I'm sort of proud of myself. My historically personal most over used word is "could". In my first novel I was hundreds of uses over the norm. I started out here only 89 over the norm. It comes from paying attention whenever I type it and trying to find something else. Of course, usage for "might", a common replacement for "could", shot up a bit. LOL

Three of my four most "overused words" are "I", "me", and "my". However, since this is in first person, that's expected.

It gets harder from here. In the column where I display 5 sentences before and after the current sentence, for context, I have a checkbox by each sentence to go ahead and mark it as 'completed' ... so that it doesn't come up for individual review. So short sentence of one to five works, chapter headings, occasional blank lines, and scene separators can get marked off sometimes in blocks of five or six at a time ... in addition to the current sentence to be reviewed.

However, after about the 45% mark in proofreading, I've marked off the majority of those 'gimmes'. So those 5000 remaining sentences all need the attentive eye. It isn't exactly one of those 80/20 deals, but it's in the neighborhood.

Last edited:

Tiamat

Patron
I suppose this is only tangentially a "writing" success, but earlier today, I accepted an offer for a new position at work as a policy & procedure writer, which comes with a fancy new officer title and a pretty spiffy raise to boot. I'm pretty stoked about it!

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
I just had one of my shorts published in an anthology by my publishing group Indies United.
It was actually a story that had been previously published in another anthology.

Other than that, I just been flying my spaceship.

Taylor

Friends of WF
I suppose this is only tangentially a "writing" success, but earlier today, I accepted an offer for a new position at work as a policy & procedure writer, which comes with a fancy new officer title and a pretty spiffy raise to boot. I'm pretty stoked about it!

That is wonderful news! It is absolutely a writing success. I know we had a conversation about this last summer and I thought you should go for this if the opportunity arose. Sooo glad it did!! As a fellow writer who wrote policy and procedures for over 10 years I can tell you it is very satisfying. It's a contribution to society, especially in your world of banking.

CONGRATULATIONS Tiamat!!!!

vranger

Staff member
Global Moderator
Big sigh. I just finished the first proof of the novel, with 917 sentences changed. So now I review those 917 sentences again. As I mentioned before, it's just as easy to introduce a typo when editing a sentence as when writing it in the first place, so every sentence changed gets another look.

I didn't actually have 917 typos or clarity adjustments. As it turns out, exporting from Scrivener to RTF, loading that in Word, then copy and pasting it into my app wound up with some formatting glitches that came from some very odd Rich Text tags Scrivener produces. So I had things like italics with no space after the word, apostrophes with a space generated in front of them ... miniscule corrections ... but my app still flags them as changes. I'm not blaming this on Scrivener, it's a combination of RTF tags out of Scrivener which are different than what Word produces, and my code which parses RTF tags when I break out individual sentences. I have to examine those tags and add code to recognize the ones coming out of Scrivener.

Those 917 sentences are going to take two and a half man-hours to review, which I can't do in one sitting. So if you see me posting here, you'll know when I'm taking respite from the salt mines. LOL

Off Topic Note: My wife recently had cataract surgery on both eyes (one at a time), and we got her the top end lenses. Now she can read my computer screen from across the room. I've asked if we can get a refund and get the original lenses restored, but she's resistant to that suggestion. (She just looked over here and said, "917 huh?")

Last edited:

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Alright! Awesome news.
Take this opinion from someone that grew up on the street: money = good.
I grew up in a Scottish entrepreneurial family so I do believe that money should have a certain direction = toward me. If it's going the other way I need to reconsider that.

After five straight days of messing up/giving away my writing time and worrying that all my ideas had leaked out, I sat down this morning and banged out a story that I'm 2100 words into and not done yet. Best of all, I keep chuckling as I write. At least I'm keeping myself entertained!

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
I grew up in a Scottish entrepreneurial family so I do believe that money should have a certain direction = toward me. If it's going the other way I need to reconsider that.

After five straight days of messing up/giving away my writing time and worrying that all my ideas had leaked out, I sat down this morning and banged out a story that I'm 2100 words into and not done yet. Best of all, I keep chuckling as I write. At least I'm keeping myself entertained!

I love it when that happens.

Taylor

Friends of WF
I have not met my minimum 200 words a day on my novel for the last week. :(

It's funny how before I took this contract to help out the government with respect to new Covid requirements, I had not been affected much by Covid at all. Now I live, eat and breath Covid! I'm hoping to carve out some time on the weekend to get caught up.

Taylor

Friends of WF
I have not met my minimum 200 words a day on my novel for the last week. :(

It's funny how before I took this contract to help out the government with respect to new Covid requirements, I had not been affected much by Covid at all. Now I live, eat and breath Covid! I'm hoping to carve out some time on the weekend to get caught up.

Yay, even though I was really tired from last week, I managed to drag my butt to the computer and hammer out 1200 words. They were important ones too, because they set out the last business transcation that must occur for the big reveal. Feels good. :) I'm going to have a glass of wine now. It's 5 o'clock somewhere isn't it?

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Yay, even though I was really tired from last week, I managed to drag my butt to the computer and hammer out 1200 words. They were important ones too, because they set out the last business transcation that must occur for the big reveal. Feels good. :) I'm going to have a glass of wine now. It's 5 o'clock somewhere isn't it?

Great! Perseverance, we just gotta keep at it.

I'm closing in on the halfway point in my second edit of my WIP. It's going well, but my cover designer won't get to my stuff until July - and my book will probably be done by the end of May.

Users who are viewing this thread