Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Share the joy: what's your writing success today? (2 Viewers)

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
It sounds like a good tactic. I couldn't personally use it here, because I'm writing in our den, and my wife may be watching TV or reading, and that would be distracting to her.

At this point, the any proofreading is only opportunistic. Once all revision is complete, I then run the novel through my proofreading app. It splits the novel into discreet sentences, then presents them to me one sentence at a time in random order. When you mention your eye glossing over a wrong word, that typically happens when you proof the work straight through. You wind up reading the story rather than concentrating on the words, and read over mistakes.

Examining one sentence at a time, and in no particular order, eliminates that problem. In a list below, I display the sentence in context just in case that's useful, and it sometimes is. Over time I've added several points of analysis, and I display warnings for things like homonyms, clichés, copulas, overworked words, filler words, etc.

After one pass through every sentence, the app bumps a proofreading revision number, and then repeats the process with only the sentences revised in the first pass. That's because it's quite likely to introduce a new error as you fix another one. :) The revision passes continue until no revised sentences remain. Typically, each of my own passes is about 10% of the number of sentences from the previous pass. Those aren't all because I introduced another error ... most often it's just continued fiddling with a sentence I didn't like the first time around. By the time that's done, it's pretty solid.

Years ago I read somewhere that NY houses find approximately 7 typos in a full length novel to be acceptable after editing. I'm looking to beat that standard by the time I have a finished product.

I use headphones.

It seems like a combination of our techniques could be beneficial. One thing that reading and listening through the work catches (for me) is overused words.

What app are you using - I may look into picking it up.

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
I use headphones.It seems like a combination of our techniques could be beneficial. One thing that reading and listening through the work catches (for me) is overused words.What app are you using - I may look into picking it up.
You know, I've never used headphones. Oversight on my part.

I wrote the app and run it on a combination of my application server and my SQL Server. But as I offered in a PM a while back, I'm more than happy for you to use it. I consider it to be in beta, but I've used it for six novels of my own now--by some time next week it will be seven--and there are several other authors I've given access.

JBF

I've been in situations like that... it's an eerie feeling, sort of like someone running an ice cube down your spine.

Yup.

The sense of being in the presence of something ugly with out a whole lot of material barrier in the way. One of those fun little holdovers from the lizard brain, I guess.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
During the course of this first edit, I decided to rewrite some of the last two chapters of my novel. I worked through the one requiring the most change today - I'll do some editing on it tomorrow, then jump into the final chapter.

I made these changes because the pace of the book is quick, and the last chapters had too much deviation. I like plots that are like a brick tossed out of a high-rise window. With some luck, I'll finish the first editing pass of 'Afterworld: Redemption' tomorrow.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
I haven't written anything in a year or so.
I've been on a writing sabbatical.
All I've been doing is working and flying my spaceship in Elite Dangerous.
The other day I discovered 2 earthlike planets in the same solar system. They orbited as a binary pair, tidally locked to each other.
Just 11,000 light years from Earth.
Soooo cool.

Actually, all that binge-flying has had me formulating a new story centered on the game.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Finished the first full edit of Afterworld: Redemption. Dropped the WC by 2,287 to 99,380. It's lean with tons of action and I'm loving it.

In my last series (Extinction) the main recurring character was a pacifist, in this novel both the FMC and MMC are abusive and viscous people. The change was nice.

Anyway, Indianroads is doing his happy dance.

Over the next couple of days I'll play with ideas for the cover (to send to my designer) and work on the blurb and product description.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
I "discovered" a writer and a book (and his poems). I have ignored him for years. Now I adore him. The writer is Stephen Crane and his amazing work is his poetry. Simple, interesting, but often show an enigmatical paradox. I'm now reading his Red Badge of Courage. That boy can write! What a find!

Taylor

Friends of WF
Congratulations - sounds like your work is moving in a good direction.

One thing that has helped me in my editing passes is to have my computer read my work back to me. Too often when I read my own work my eye glosses over a wrong word (spelled correctly, but it's not the word I intended to use) and also missing or duplicated words.

I use MS Word to write, which has a 'SPEAK' utility built into it - you just have to activate it. At the very top-left of the Word window you have the file-save, undo, and redo options, next to that is a pull-down button where you can add more options. Select 'More Commands' and look for 'Speak'. The voice kinda sounds like Stephen Hawking, and occasionally mispronounced words, but I catch a TON of errors using this feature.

Each edit consists of two passes. The first is me reading the text, correcting errors and looking for plot-holes. On the next pass I listen to Stephen, and clean up what he catches.

Anyway, this is a process that works for me, and so may not work for anyone else - but I just thought I'd mention it.

I have a speak function with google docs, but I can't get it to work. Do you know if there is something tricky that may be preventing it?

Taylor

Friends of WF
I have a speak function with google docs, but I can't get it to work. Do you know if there is something tricky that may be preventing it?

Welll I got her to talk but she jus reads the title and then spews out a few randiom sentences, and keeps saying "selected". Or when I type she calls out the letters, but Ican get her to just read. I'm going to keep playing around, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Taylor

Friends of WF
Welll I got her to talk but she jus reads the title and then spews out a few randiom sentences, and keeps saying "selected". Or when I type she calls out the letters, but Ican get her to just read. I'm going to keep playing around, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Yay! I just figured it out. Thank you Youtube. You have to turn in on Chrome vox under assessibibly. Then go to your document and use your up and down arrow. You have to go line by line though which is workable. I'm sure eventually I'll figure out how to get it to work on its own. What a great idea Indianroads!

Taylor

Friends of WF
Finished the first full edit of Afterworld: Redemption. Dropped the WC by 2,287 to 99,380. It's lean with tons of action and I'm loving it.

In my last series (Extinction) the main recurring character was a pacifist, in this novel both the FMC and MMC are abusive and viscous people. The change was nice.

Anyway, Indianroads is doing his happy dance.

Over the next couple of days I'll play with ideas for the cover (to send to my designer) and work on the blurb and product description.

How exciting! It's inspiring.

JJBuchholz

Today's writing success actually happened late last night, but still is a happy thing. I finally finished a story that I had started back in early
November, in which I somehow managed to lose the plot about a third of the way through. A few days ago, I re-opened the dormant file
and got a zinger of an idea on how to keep going. The story is twice as long as originally planned, but I finished it late last night after a
couple days of 3.5 hour sessions.

I am both happy and relieved that it's done, as I absolutely hate having unfinished work.

-JJB

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Today's writing success actually happened late last night, but still is a happy thing. I finally finished a story that I had started back in early
November, in which I somehow managed to lose the plot about a third of the way through. A few days ago, I re-opened the dormant file
and got a zinger of an idea on how to keep going. The story is twice as long as originally planned, but I finished it late last night after a

I am both happy and relieved that it's done, as I absolutely hate having unfinished work.

-JJB

Great news! Writing takes a lot of perseverance.

Private Universe

-JJB

Nothing as satisfying as tying up a loose end in writing :smile:

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Tried to force myself not to write, and didn't completely succeed. I did keep my MS closed down, but I worked on cover input for my designer and the product descriptions (it's down in Publishing Discussion -> Query Letters, Synopsis (etc) if you want to give some feedback).

Cleaned up my office and moved a drawing desk downstairs where my granddaughter can use it. Rode around on my motorcycles (with the cold weather they've been in the garage for a couple months). I'm considering trading my 2014 Indian Vintage for one of the new, smaller Indians - at 66 yo it's getting tough lifting an 830 pound motorcycle.

Users who are viewing this thread