Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Share the joy: what's your writing success today? (6 Viewers)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I finished going through the feedback of my proof reader, and incorporated most of it - everything is optional, it's my book after all. The last few days I did a read through of the story to see how it all fell together and ended up altering a few scenes. Next up is a listen-through to hear how the words fit together. My cover design should happen in early December, so it's all fitting together nicely. Still a go for the release of Inception in mid December.

Tonight I'm meeting my writer's guild (Pikes Peak Writers) for pizza at a local place. Those meetings are always fun.

JJBuchholz

As @VRanger and I work on the final chapter I feel sad to let go of the characters we created. The END feels final while the characters live on in my mind.... Do you feel a need to continue the story with a second book?
I once wrote a novella called 'Fury' that started out life as a one-off. Several people read it and mentioned to me that it should have a sequel or second
part to the story. 'Heart of the Inferno' became the sequel, and because I couldn't let go of the main character too well, a third part came about at a later
time (once I had a premise for the plot). 'The Embers of Time' was the result, and the story that was only a one-off became a trilogy.

-JJB

NajaNoir

A prompt suggestion has led me to write my first fairy tale. I saw four words and the story appeared to me and that's that. Spent some time writing it today. It's coming along.

Though I'll say, it might not be exactly happy, it is a nice change from the usual dystopian that plagues my mind. So on that alone, be it good or bad, I would say it is a writing success.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
A prompt suggestion has led me to write my first fairy tale. I saw four words and the story appeared to me and that's that. Spent some time writing it today. It's coming along.

Though I'll say, it might not be exactly happy, it is a nice change from the usual dystopian that plagues my mind. So on that alone, be it good or bad, I would say it is a writing success.
Sometimes ideas hit and inspire us. Writing is like that.

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator

I wrote a fairy tale last spring about a magic mouse (novella). It was fun. :)

neophyte

I decided to make an outline for my story, which I’ve never done before. (I believe in letting the story carry you.. or used to.) I made a point to come up with a set ending and sprinkle in some foreshadowing. It’s going pretty smoothly, and I’m writing for a longer time before getting bored!

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
I decided to make an outline for my story, which I’ve never done before. (I believe in letting the story carry you.. or used to.) I made a point to come up with a set ending and sprinkle in some foreshadowing. It’s going pretty smoothly, and I’m writing for a longer time before getting bored!
Trust me, even with a synopsis or an outline the story will still carry you. :) However, you've just provided a safety net. If you get stuck, you already have a cue for how to continue.

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
@PiP and I essentially completed the book a couple of days ago. :) She's revising some of her early chapters, but we have a complete manuscript from beginning to end. It should be a very short time now before I can start an A to Z read-through, then have PiP do one, then I'll run it through my proofreading app, then final read-throughs, including my wife's.

We picked out art, which I bought yesterday, and did a first rough-in of the cover. For Poet Lariat, I found a "rope font" to use for the title. This is only a tentative cover, since we're going to pursue an agent and traditional publishing for this, and if we should be offered a deal the publisher will want to supply their own cover (and maybe even title). But if that doesn't work out, we'll have a cover should we later decide to self-publish.

But while we pass the book around to friends who are interested, we'll have a cover for it.

PiP is working on character sketches of Julia's friends and family in England so we'll have those details to work with while we plot the sequel. :)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
The cover designer will set to work on Inception on Dec. 1, and I'm currently working through the novel one last (hopefully) time. Feeling good about the whole thing.

I'm already looking ahead to writing the Last Ride - a novel about a dying man riding a motorcycle across the USA in an attempt to recapture a moment in his life when he was happy. It's a paranormal romance about the consequences of choices we make. It will be a real stretch for me (just as Inception was), and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
Two nice pieces of progress. @PiP completed her review and revision of her solo Chapters (1,2,3,9), and I've finished my first round of editing on them, so we should be ready for my A-Z readthrough and revision.

Actually {shudder} before I do the A-Z, I really need to export each chapter from Google to a Docx, and export each chapter from Scrivener to a Docx, and use the document compare feature in Word to make sure the two sets of documents are congruent. I've assiduously attempted to keep the documents in sync, but there might have been tiny room for an oversight here or there. So if they're in there, I'll find them. Am I looking forward to that process? HELL no.

In the other piece of writing progress, I made a set of notes for possible plot elements and scenes for the sequel, and PiP came right in with additional suggestions. I integrated those into the notes I made, and we have a 1700-word treatment which, given our propensity to write word after word after word, should fill out the novel.

We're not going to do the thing where something breaks the couple up and they have to find their way back together. We already did that in Poet Lariat I. Cal and Juliet will be a satisfied team in the sequel. (Don't read too much into the adjective 'satisfied', or do, because you'll be right either way). We're working in a secondary romance to fool a Commissioning Editor, but really we're looking at a slice of life story with both satisfying and humorous episodes and subplots. Think "A Christmas Story" with sex and no BB gun.

Reactions: PiP