Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Share the joy: what's your writing success today? (1 Viewer)

Taylor

Friends of WF
W-E-L-L...I don't know if it's success, but I just managed to write 550 words after procrastinating all day. Thank goodness for WF, so even when I'm not "writing', I'm still writing, if you know what I mean.

Although vranger's got me paranoid about using the word "was"...lol! He did say that an average of 6 times a page was ok...so maybe I shouldn't worry about it. Sometimes it's better not to know so much, because then I'd have to write what I know. :)

EDIT: 850 now

Last edited:

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
W-E-L-L...I don't know if it's success, but I just managed to write 550 words after procrastinating all day. Thank goodness for WF, so even when I'm not "writing', I'm still writing, if you know what I mean.

Although vranger's got me paranoid about using the word "was"...lol! He did say that an average of 6 times a page was ok...so maybe I shouldn't worry about it. Sometimes it's better not to know so much, because then I'd have to write what I know. :)

EDIT: 850 now

Fantastic.
For me - it helps to not worry too much writing pretty words, I just get the story down on paper (figuratively) and clean it up during editing.

Taylor

Friends of WF
Fantastic.
For me - it helps to not worry too much writing pretty words, I just get the story down on paper (figuratively) and clean it up during editing.

Yeah, I've never been able to figure out how to do that. I write as clean as I can as I go. It's a lot slower. Especially the dialogue. It all has to make perfect sense or I can't move on. What a crazy bunch we are hey!

Where are you at with your second draft?

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Yeah, I've never been able to figure out how to do that. I write as clean as I can as I go. It's a lot slower. Especially the dialogue. It all has to make perfect sense or I can't move on. What a crazy bunch we are hey!

Where are you at with your second draft?

I'm about 3/4 through, and have removed about 1200 words so far.

My first drafts are fairly clean because I’ve improved my plotting technique.

LadySilence

I organized the week.
So on Sunday, I can work on other writing projects.
Yesterday I experienced a small theater text.
I liked it so much, I enjoyed it.

Today I resume writing the book.

Tiamat

Patron
I wrote 1,000ish words on a new short story today. That's become my new goal--if I sit down to write, I want to squeeze out 1K. So I met that goal and I'm happy about that, but more importantly, I figured out where my story is going. I'm a little over 2,000 words into this piece (started yesterday), and if you had asked me yesterday where I was going with it, I'd have said, "Beats me." For that matter, if you'd asked me today while I was writing, I'd have said the same thing. But after I hit my word count, I thought about everything I'd written so far, and now I feel like I know what I'm doing. So that's my success! :)

Taylor

Friends of WF
I wrote 1,000ish words on a new short story today. That's become my new goal--if I sit down to write, I want to squeeze out 1K. So I met that goal and I'm happy about that, but more importantly, I figured out where my story is going. I'm a little over 2,000 words into this piece (started yesterday), and if you had asked me yesterday where I was going with it, I'd have said, "Beats me." For that matter, if you'd asked me today while I was writing, I'd have said the same thing. But after I hit my word count, I thought about everything I'd written so far, and now I feel like I know what I'm doing. So that's my success! :)

Yes that 'knowing what you are doing' is the best. I look forward to another story from you. :)

JJBuchholz

I just finished my fourth memoir of 2021! One of my writing goals for the calendar year was four memoirs, and now I've met that, and will
be starting another one soon to surpass. The rest of my life might be a train wreck, but my writing goals will be crushed!

-JJB

Taylor

Friends of WF
I just finished my fourth memoir of 2021! One of my writing goals for the calendar year was four memoirs, and now I've met that, and will
be starting another one soon to surpass. The rest of my life might be a train wreck, but my writing goals will be crushed!

-JJB

Fantastic! Good work!!!

vranger

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tonight I cracked 100K words (by 600) and resolved the crisis with the major active villain. I blogged about this ... I think I'm going to touch on the three (so far) unresolved sub-plots and leave them open for a sequel. I didn't plan this as a series when I wrote the first three chapters 12 years ago, but over the last few months I've very much enjoyed writing this character in first person. He's worth another 100K words just for how much fun I've had.

My next writing session will cap this novel. :)

vranger

Staff member
Global Moderator
Okay. I kept my promise and completed my WIP in my next writing session. However, it wasn't an epic effort. I decided I'll be writing a sequel, so I moved my two character arcs along, but left more to be done to satisfy each. I left a traitor to be dealt with in the sequel, his main ally having been dispatched in the previous scene. I didn't send the villain to the typical fate.

Instead of being killed in the final battle, he was trapped and turned into the hero's gardener and handyman. :)

As normally happens to me, my last line came as a surprise. I suddenly realized I'd finished the story, typed a sentence to acknowledge that state, and it's over. :) Now comes the hard work.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Okay. I kept my promise and completed my WIP in my next writing session. However, it wasn't an epic effort. I decided I'll be writing a sequel, so I moved my two character arcs along, but left more to be done to satisfy each. I left a traitor to be dealt with in the sequel, his main ally having been dispatched in the previous scene. I didn't send the villain to the typical fate.

Instead of being killed in the final battle, he was trapped and turned into the hero's gardener and handyman. :)

As normally happens to me, my last line came as a surprise. I suddenly realized I'd finished the story, typed a sentence to acknowledge that state, and it's over. :) Now comes the hard work.

fantastic! Great job!

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Today when my dedicated writing time turned into complete bus-garage-calling chaos over getting my son where he needed to go, I still managed to churn out fifteen minutes of writing and then started to dissect this story to see what it needs and doesn't need. Still working, still in it.

Overcoming obstacles in my creative life is a big deal for me so I'm very happy! (and thank you for a place to mention it)

Users who are viewing this thread