Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Share the joy: what's your writing success today? (2 Viewers)

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
Not exactly my writing success, but helping someone else. Dan Sawyer is writing a book called "The Secrets of Heinlein Juveniles", and is just putting up a Kickstarter for it. As it turns out, Roger Christenson, who's a fan of my Citizen of the Galaxy sequel, put Dan and I together a few weeks ago, and I just sent him a list of edits for the first half of his book. It's an interesting book from an author's point of view, although it might not be so for the average fan, as it is heavy in places with technical elements of plotting.

Tonight, Roger also linked Dan's Kickstarter in the FB Heinlein Forum, which led to this little conversation:

Steve Davidson
One thing bothers me about this project: if an author has "uncovered the secret of RAH's success with juvies" - why is he writing a book about the secret, when he could be writing juveniles/YA stories that will be "perpetual"?
Roger Christenson
Jim Dutton seems to know the secret; I've recommended his superb CoTG sequel to J. Daniel Sawyer.
· Reply · 2h

Jim Dutton
Roger Christenson The "secret" is simple. Read and reread an author for 55 years, then write on the book you're reread 10 or a dozen times. Something's bound to rub off. LOL
· Reply · 22m

Roger Christenson
It hasn't worked as well for many other authors who tried to imitate Heinlein.
· Reply · 20m

Tom Losh
Jim, it also, undoubtedly, requires a talent for writing that few seem to have.
Beyond that, you somehow kept your follow-on aimed perfectly at the same "juvenile" feel. You had a great feel for the texture and nuances of the story. It reads as if it is simply a continuation of the same book, not even a separate book. No more interruption than the turning of a page. (...and so many "hooks" into earlier parts of the story, straight from CotG.)
· Reply · 14m

Tom Losh
Roger Christenson wrote: "It hasn't worked as well for many other authors who tried to imitate Heinlein."
TRUTH!
I would like to point out that I in no way set out to "imitate Heinlein". That's casual conversation, not an in depth take on what I did writing the book. LOL But when people compare what I wrote in any way to what Robert Heinlein wrote, I take it as an entirely unexpected compliment.

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
Get with it, you guys! I shouldn't have two posts in a row here 24 hours apart! LOL

Today I integrated PiPs new material into chapter five. It's now so long we'll probably split it into two chapters. Her material is VERY good. I think it will hook readers into the FMC's story, and it's amusing.

Then I opened up my chapter six (may become seven) and finished it, adding a scene before what was already there, and a scene afterward, to bring the chapter up to 3K words.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
You beat me to it! @vranger LoL I was going to say I'd completed my contribution to Chapter 5 ... YaY! with another 1300 words ... But then I am 'encouraged' to develop the MC's reactions further. Okay, I sow more 'potential story' seeds which we can nurture later, or not.

My writing success today? We will see. I've discovered setting daily goals when writing a book (unlike NaNo) is not just about word count it also includes research and staring at the 'blinking' cursor as you consider character and plot development in future chapters

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
You beat me to it! @vranger LoL I was going to say I'd completed my contribution to Chapter 5 ... YaY! with another 1300 words ... But then I am 'encouraged' to develop the MC's reactions further. Okay, I sow more 'potential story' seeds which we can nurture later, or not.

My writing success today? We will see. I've discovered setting daily goals when writing a book (unlike NaNo) is not just about word count it also includes research and staring at the 'blinking' cursor as you consider character and plot development in future chapters
Yes it does. On my side, I was very happy to figure out the manner of the next incoming songwriting tip. Sometimes I set up a plot device, like the three incoming tips, without knowing what I'm actually going to write. So it's a relief when I solve the challenge I left for myself. LOL

Reactions: PiP

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Working on edits of Inception - quarter of the way through, reduced the WC by another hundred.
Mapping plot points via excel as I go - a couple of minor tweaks so far.

Rethinking / second guessing the ending for the Last Ride - no decision yet on that front.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
So this was yesterday's witing joy: Entered in the LM challenge for the first time...and I'm not a judge so guess who will be getting a score (I didn't end up putting anything up last month)..its exciting and scary. But I had to do it. There were a lot of entries last month and I got a bit overwhelmed, it was my first time judging and I don't think some of my scores accurately represented how I felt-too low-lil' ol' me was actually kind of brutal 😆 So I thought it was only fair to have my work scored this month. And I needed the challenge.
Today: I finished my cough 2nd draft of "chapter" one of a piece I got a burst of inspo for.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
So this was yesterday's witing joy: Entered in the LM challenge for the first time...and I'm not a judge so guess who will be getting a score (I didn't end up putting anything up last month)..its exciting and scary
Well done for judging last month and entering this month it's quite a challenge on both counts. It's great to see new members jump in with both feet :) Thank you 😊

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Last night I was tinkering with a very rough draft for one of my chapter contributions for the collab. I concluded after several hours of head scratching, writing and procrastination there is a fine line between an info dump and show not tell... and should this be the opening chapter for Julia or a later chapter.

I need a hook to grab the reader's attention in the opening lines... *NTS sift through previous discussions in the plot and character development forum.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Last night I was tinkering with a very rough draft for one of my chapter contributions for the collab. I concluded after several hours of head scratching, writing and procrastination there is a fine line between an info dump and show not tell... and should this be the opening chapter for Julia or a later chapter.

I need a hook to grab the reader's attention in the opening lines... *NTS sift through previous discussions in the plot and character development forum.
I consider the events captured in the first lines and pages the impetus that sets the world of the novel / character off balance, and that drives the story forward. So, what's happening there?