Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Share the joy: what's your writing success today? (2 Viewers)

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I hadn't thought I'd have a chance to write more fiction until early next week, as I have a major server migration to prepare for this week and perform over the weekend. However, I found myself at midnight this evening with nothing particular to do, so I put about 3k words into "Moods". This is the typical "I'm introducing you to the characters and scenario" part of the murder mystery, without the murder having happened yet. I need another strong scene to fill out the chapter, and then I can introduce the murder.

I started writing the chapter in first person, so that answered that question. :) There is a LOT I could have done in omniscient third in this story, but first will give me a lot more latitude for humor, and be more of a challenge to get in the parts of the story which would have been a slam dunk in O.T., but with a lot more exposition and a less personal style. So first it is, and first person in a murder mystery is a good fit for the genre.

Cephus

I've been editing like a madman. I gave myself a week to edit a book before starting writing again and it hasn't worked out that way. Monday was a wash because it was a holiday and yesterday, my youngest daughter woke up feeling sick and I spent 5 hours sitting at urgent care with her for no good reason. Today, I've punched through 12 chapters and if I can keep up the pace, I will be done tomorrow as I wanted. This is not at all fun. Good thing it's been slow at work so I can sit in my office and do my own thing.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I have the Excel version of the plot for the Last Ride pretty much complete - next step will be moving it to word format and expanding it. It's been tough to get the various timelines to sync right at the pinnacle of the story; I'm feeling a bit more confident in the story, it remains a significant stretch of my abilities - hope I'm up to it.

Will take a few days away to run another editing pass on Inception, then will jump back on the Last Ride with fresh eyes.

It's looking good though.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I scratched out that last thousand words to end Chapter One of Moods. Despite my 195 note cards of plot outline, I introduced a subplot at the end of this chapter much earlier than the plot cards called for. Of course, I hadn't thought of that subplot by this point in my note card writing, so it makes sense I might want to pull it back toward the front of the story.

I'm a bit ahead of my plan, because I haven't gone back and dropped in the clues yet. But I got a bit ahead of PiP while she's been on holiday, on the RomCom, and I'm in a good creative state. So I started up on Moods, too. When "Poet Lariat" starts to roll, which should be soon now that PiP is headed back to sunny Portugal, I'll go back to my plan for clue dropping in Moods.

I'm having a ball on both projects right now, and when that happens, words and ideas flow. :)

JJBuchholz

Finished the trilogy (wrote like a madman the last few nights), and just started the unofficial fourth part of the story, which is the
aftermath. Even though I gave myself until the end of this year to complete all of this, I'm okay with it almost being done now
because then I will be able to move on to a couple more writing projects.

-JJB

Cephus

I got the edit done, which was a really close thing so I'm clear to get started on an entirely new trilogy on Monday. I already know where the next couple of books in this series are going but I won't come back to it until next July. I think I've got 6 more books to write between now and then.

JJBuchholz

I got the edit done, which was a really close thing so I'm clear to get started on an entirely new trilogy on Monday. I already know where the next couple of books in this series are going but I won't come back to it until next July. I think I've got 6 more books to write between now and then.
I thought I was cool by plotting out my next couple of short stories and a memoir, but my hat is off to anyone that can plot several novels ahead! That takes
a massive amount of vision! Respect!

-JJB

Cephus

I thought I was cool by plotting out my next couple of short stories and a memoir, but my hat is off to anyone that can plot several novels ahead! That takes
a massive amount of vision! Respect!

-JJB
When you have tons of ideas and years to think about them, it's not hard. By the time I get close to writing, I have virtually all of the story hammered out and the actual planning stage is pretty simple, it's just filling in the blanks.

JJBuchholz

When you have tons of ideas and years to think about them, it's not hard. By the time I get close to writing, I have virtually all of the story hammered out and the actual planning stage is pretty simple, it's just filling in the blanks.
In some cases, I'll have three writing projects going at the same time. If I get stuck with one, I'll move over and work on the next. I'm a big fan of plotting
out stories in advance whenever possible, especially if I can visualize the whole thing in my head. That being said, I've started to jot more down in my many
notebooks and creating detailed points so that I don't have to try and write too many projects at once.

Once my 'aftermath' installment of the trilogy is done, I'm going to move on to another project, and I also have a new memoir I'd like to start.

-JJB

Cephus

In some cases, I'll have three writing projects going at the same time. If I get stuck with one, I'll move over and work on the next. I'm a big fan of plotting
out stories in advance whenever possible, especially if I can visualize the whole thing in my head. That being said, I've started to jot more down in my many
notebooks and creating detailed points so that I don't have to try and write too many projects at once.

Once my 'aftermath' installment of the trilogy is done, I'm going to move on to another project, and I also have a new memoir I'd like to start.

-JJB
Many years ago, I started keeping track of my random thoughts, things that I figured might fit well into a book someday. It's now thousands and thousands of items long. I go through it once or twice a year and see which parts fit together and I might come up with 3-4 new series that way. Add that to all of the story ideas that I cook up mostly well-formed and it's no wonder I get so many on the list.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Trying to tame Google Docs is like trying to persuade an awkward child to cooperate. After a lot of cussing, huffing and puffing I finally managed to transfer my content for the collab from iPad 'Pages' to GD on my PC. Now I just need to find the secret button which tells me how many words I've written. My target is either 2000 words or four hours per day.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
PiP is right ... Google Docs is a pain. If I copy and paste into it, the formatting failures are annoying. I finally wound up simply uploading a DOCX for changes to our latest chapter, which it handles much better than its native format.

So ... writing:
I did a first scene for Chapter Two in Moods, but only 600 words. I also did a 2000-word addition to Chapter Five in Poet Lariat, which expands on what happens in Cal's life between emails (for anyone familiar with our challenge entry from last spring). As opposed to our word limit of 1000 words in the challenge, the chapter is now 4500 words, with more to come from PiP for Julia's side, I expect. The entire manuscript is at 17,000 words, with more pending from PiP on her opening two chapters for Julia.

PiP's creation of Hope, Cal's sister, continues to be extremely fruitful in my scenes, giving me great dialogue opportunities.

JJBuchholz

I use MS Word for my main drafts, and Notepad for character/plot files and point form notations. Aside from those, I also prefer
my many physical notebooks that populate my table and work area.

-JJB

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Am I the only one that doesn't use Google Docs? I've never even really given it as much as a thought.

-JJB
PiP and I are using it to transfer content in our collaboration, but I use Scrivener now to create, and Word to format. Scrivener is ridiculously incompetent at formatting. It often loses a style between one paragraph and the next. Google Docs also does not retain all style information on a paste into it.

Last edited:

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
A collaboration! I've always wanted to do that! I'm a little jealous now.... :D

-JJB
Foxee is running periodic collaboration challenges, which is how PiP and I teamed up. We wrote collaborations for the first two, and decided for the third to do a sequel to our first story. However, the sequel ran away with us, and we'd never have pared it down to the challenge's word limit. I asked PiP what she'd think about expanding the story into a novel, and she was quick with a positive response. So here we go.

The point is, Foxee's challenges would be a good place for you to start.