Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Share the joy: what's your writing success today? (3 Viewers)

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I added a bit to the end of chapter three of the collaboration, which ties the first two chapters to the collaboration PiP and I did for last Spring's collaborator challenge. A plot point in Chapter Three caused me to think of another song, so I went ahead and roughed out lyrics for it.

LadySilence

It's okay to take a break. In fact, maybe you want to try this experiment:

Make a decision that you will not write for 8 days (192 hours). Take a look at your watch and write a note: "I am not allowed to write until such-and-such a date, such-and-such o'clock." Place it where you can see it so you won't forget.

During that time, you may not do any creative writing, no matter what. When the time is up, see how you feel.

Things may become a lot clearer to you.

The only exception: if your urge to write is so strong that not being allowed to makes you cry, then the ban on writing ends prematurely. Throw the note away.

For me, writing is like breathing.
I write every day.
I can't live without writing.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I write every day.
I'm the same way, but be gentle with yourself.
In times like this, write without writing - meaning think about your characters and their story. What might be happening is that you've missed something about the story or a character, and you need to discover it before continuing.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I write every day.
I'm the same. But I don't always work on my fiction every day.

Do you have someone you can write letters to? It's a great creative outlet and has a purpose as well as recognition. My sister has hundreds of letters she has saved from me. Just let your mind run freely, with no pressure to produce anything of consequence.

Another thing I have been doing on my down days is writing about someone else's work. I take a novel from a favorite author and make notes about specific things. Like: What is the POV? Do they head hop? How often do they use dialogue tags? Are there any metaphors? What length are the chapters? When do they introduce new characters? Any cliches? It can be quite educational and you are still writing and can take a break from your WIP.

And in the spirit of this thread, I have been writing like a fiend all week, but only to complete my technical writing project that was approved by the client yesterday. Whew! Now a bit of administrative stuff today and then back to my novel...

LadySilence

I'm the same way, but be gentle with yourself.
In times like this, write without writing - meaning think about your characters and their story. What might be happening is that you've missed something about the story or a character, and you need to discover it before continuing.

Thanks.
You will try to write without thinking too much.

LadySilence

I'm the same. But I don't always work on my fiction every day.

Do you have someone you can write letters to? It's a great creative outlet and has a purpose as well as recognition. My sister has hundreds of letters she has saved from me. Just let your mind run freely, with no pressure to produce anything of consequence.

Another thing I have been doing on my down days is writing about someone else's work. I take a novel from a favorite author and make notes about specific things. Like: What is the POV? Do they head hop? How often do they use dialogue tags? Are there any metaphors? What length are the chapters? When do they introduce new characters? Any cliches? It can be quite educational and you are still writing and can take a break from your WIP.

And in the spirit of this thread, I have been writing like a fiend all week, but only to complete my technical writing project that was approved by the client yesterday. Whew! Now a bit of administrative stuff today and then back to my novel...
No, all my friends now only use WhatsApp, voice messages, or video calls. Nobody writes letters anymore.
I have never ever "analyzed a novel", I took some passages that I liked. But I've never analyzed the text.
I read, always for the pleasure of reading. Because I liked the story.
I'll try, I'm not sure how to do it. But I want to try.
Thanks so much for your advice.

Cephus

Just live with your characters for a while. Often their stories get richer that way.
I know this sounds weird, but sometimes they talk to us, the trick I’ll learning to listen.
It's why I live with my stories for years before I write them. It's why I know the next 40ish books I'm going to write. They sit there and I roll them all around in my head and make notes for years before I ever get down to writing. The trilogy I'm planning right now, I've known for at least 2 years. It's just a matter of putting the pieces where they go.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I've reached the point in the collaboration novel where I've caught up to the first piece PiP and I wrote last spring. We had a 1000 world limit for that, but in the novel it will expand to at least 3K, and as much more as we need. The collaboration was simply the emails and private thoughts, but in the novel we'll expand that content, plus add some character activity between the emails. I also wrote a scene for chapter six the other night, making this my first asynchronous writing.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I finished the second edit of Inception today, and dropped another 930 words, missing my target of 1000. Total WC stands at 100828. The 'grapple and triumph' point of the story is a motorcycle chase through SF bay area rush hour traffic - that was a blast to write.
The story is turning out great, and I thank @Taylor for the suggestion to write it.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Today I worked on the excel plot outline for my Last Ride novel. This a preplot device used to get the order of events laid out - it’s easier to move large chunks of the story around this way.

Three concurrent plot lines.
1. Events moving forward.
2. MC memories moving backward - descending order.
3. FMC memories moving forward - ascending order.

Everything comes together in the last chapter.

I have a ton of sorting to do before moving the plot to word, where everything will get fleshed out before starting in on the full draft.

I contacted my cover guy and discussed the project, and he admitted it’s outside of what he specializes in, so I’ll be looking for a new artist.

Last edited: