Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Share the joy: what's your writing success today? (2 Viewers)

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Glad WF is back - I missed everyone.

I'm finishing up another plot of Inception (my Silicon Valley thriller). I learned something, which will only apply to an avid plotter like me. By going through the near final plot I used excel to track possible plot holes, points mentioned too often, locations visited, key items I need to allude to during the story that will all come together in the final chapters. I think it's going to work well.

Oh... and to make the pantsers go crazy, my plot outline is running a bit over 20K words. Tomorrow I'll finish it up, then do a first cut of the description / blurb.

I'm feeling confident about the story.

After that I'll take a break from Inception and jump back into another edit of Redemption.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
I hate writing blurbs... I really, truly do.

They have to be short (no one wants to read a book about a book), yet describe the world, the characters, their conflict, AND convince a potential reader to pick it up.

So, today I wrote the first-cut of the blurb for Inception (my Silicon Valley techno-thriller), and the only good thing I can say is that it's the right length (141 words).

Steve_Rivers

Today I did my duty by a fellow writer I know and sent him the notes of my beta read of his book.
I always get slightly apprehensive when I read someone's book because there's always that chance it might be a let down.

Thankfully, more often than not I find I'm surprised by people's talent and creativity. Despite one serious PoV wobble and a bit of accidental misdirection, I'm happy to say that the book was very good. So fingers crossed my notes help him work out the kinks.

Time to concentrate on my own stuff again!

vranger

Staff member
Global Moderator
Early this morning I finished my last technical read through, so it just went on my Kindle. In a couple of days I'll do another read through just as a reader, and hopefully not find much that I missed in the "work" iterations of reading it. :) My wife is always eager for a "final version", so I'll load it on her Kindle shortly. I've read my last four works to her as I wrote them, generally a scene or even a few paragraphs at a time, and that over the course of a few weeks or months. So she likes finally being able to put it all together in a sustained read rather than hearing a piece here and a piece there, even if the pieces are in order.

I started a few notes on one of the novels I've been planning for when I cleared the "unfinished backlog". Unless something unexpected pops up (like an invitation to write something else I recently put a feeler out on), "Moods" will probably become my next WIP. I think for it I'll actually do the murder mystery I've been considering for a few months. My plan for this book has only revolved around a predicament the MC faces, but that predicament could be placed atop any plot, so a murder mystery is as good as any.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Managed half of a new installment of my blog story even with the phone blowing up and my children making a LOT of noise playing on the Xbox. Doesn't sound like much but 15 mins of focus in this environment is a big deal.

If anyone would like to offer me the opportunity to go live in one of those mountain cabins with no internet or phone for a million dollars I might take that deal right now.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Finished the 6th editing pass of Redemption - this included the feedback from my editor, which wasn't bad. Word count dropped by about 100, and fully formatted it comes in at 98923 words, which is right about where I wanted it. I'll take a break for a few days then hit it again.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
I did it at last. I finally got all my poetry organized so that I can put my hands on it quickly. I've been hard at work on it for the last three or four days and it was time well spent.

I now have all the publishing notes with each published poem (info on when something was published, who published it, when they published it, links to the pieces, etc.). I now have all my unpublished poems carefully alphabetized by title. Before, it would take quite a bit of time to determine if something has been published or not. Now it's easy to get the information I need.

I'm about ready to send off my chapbook on poems about my trip to Indonesia. Now with this organization I've done, I can put together a collection for publishing consideration. I should have done this years ago, this careful organizing. But I didn't.

Darkkin

WF Veterans
I've been flipping through a dozen different tabs on my tablet getting my more recent Strangeways pieces into a working chronology that will not leave reader going, 'How the hell did we get to this point?' Nearly a dozen pieces sorted and titled into my blog. Now I'm just waiting on admin approval because these pieces, they matter. They are critical to the next two pieces I'm working on. One, Place at the End of the Stars, I just finished this morning. This is one of the biggest confluence set ups I have done to date with my 'Ways. It is an amazing disaster and a huge amount of work, but all the parts have finally fallen together and are synced, poised for the next chapter.

- D.

Last edited:

vranger

Staff member
Global Moderator
Doing something completely different. I'm deep into planning for a murder mystery, and this time a puzzle mystery rather than a treasure hunt mystery. The murder mystery is a serious plot, but it's actually the backdrop for what my MC is doing while he's trying to solve a dilemma ... although the dilemma is brought about due to an event in the murder mystery.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I spec'd out all my characters and identified victims, murderers, witnesses, etc. Tonight, I started a time line of events which will, upon completion, will cover the entire course of events. Then I'll go back and drop in real clues and red herrings. At that time, I should be ready to start writing. While I'll definitely be a Plotter for this novel, I'll try to leave enough details of scenes loose that I can still work in some things to surprise me as I go. I already surprised myself a bit tonight as I named the characters. It turns out my MC has a brother I didn't know about who works for the first victim's attorney. I thought it was amusing I could work a surprise into the plot just by filling in my character spreadsheet with names. LOL

Last edited:

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I am trying to post 500 words at a time on a short story I am working on. I finished another 500, but I have plenty of unresolved conflicts to reach the 2000 mark. I have been using the reading mode in Microsoft Word which spaces the text for dyslexia (reading view tab). NVDA lets me read it, the text is inaccessible to the text to speech in word but not to NVDA which is a workaround method. I will read it out loud before I do post it. I also made a small breakthrough as well since an idea I thought up to make the readers believe the ideas. I am very pleased, but I will take my time with this one to make sure it can have the least amount of mistakes I can manage. I will continue writing more tomorrow. Some subconscious ideas appeared rather than the research this time around.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
I am trying to post 500 words at a time on a short story I am working on. I finished another 500, but I have plenty of unresolved conflicts to reach the 2000 mark. I have been using the reading mode in Microsoft Word which spaces the text for dyslexia (reading view tab). NVDA lets me read it, the text is inaccessible to the text to speech in word but not to NVDA which is a workaround method. I will read it out loud before I do post it. I also made a small breakthrough as well since an idea I thought up to make the readers believe the ideas. I am very pleased, but I will take my time with this one to make sure it can have the least amount of mistakes I can manage. I will continue writing more tomorrow. Some subconscious ideas appeared rather than the research this time around.
Keep at it, you're doing great.

Users who are viewing this thread