Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Share the joy: what's your writing success today? (5 Viewers)

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Finished the 4th editing pass of Redemption. Word count dropped by ~100, down 3000 from the first draft. Doing a quick read through for clarity, then will set it on the shelf for a couple of weeks. In the mean time, I’ll work on the plot of Inception.

Phil Istine

Staff member
Global Moderator
I started editing some work a friend has been writing for a 2,000-word submission elsewhere. I went through the first 110 or so words and cut it to about 50. I was able to do this because of what I've learned on here about redundancies. Also, she was being descriptive in a place where the MC needed to flee for her life.

I stopped after the 110 words because I didn't want to go through the lot only to find that she didn't want that level of cutting. She does and reckons my version is much stronger due to the cuts.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Holy. Carp.

I did not at all work on my novel or on the short story I expected to get to Friday morning and intended to reboot today. I did not do anything I expected.

However! The experiment that I mentioned in a different thread -- writing down various kinds of conflicts on slips of paper and drawing them out as I wrote a new story -- really worked. I've been coming back to this throughout the day and adding to it and am currently up to 3,369 words in and still rolling. Most likely it'll finish up as a longer short story depending how the ending works out.

The experiment isn't universal to every project or every person but it might be a keeper as far as if I'm working and it seems like the story is stalling out. There's nothing like drawing out a random conflict to include to keep things hopping.

woohoo!!

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Just finished the fifth edit of Redemption. It's a fast paced tight story (98600 words) and I like it. Next step is to reformat into a single 6x9 file, then ship it out to my editor.

I'll take a break over the weekend - working as a referee at an open martial art tournament - and will jump back on Inception next week.

JJBuchholz

I'm working on two WIPs right now (one of them is stuck on a plot point), and I have an idea for a third. I'm not always a big fan of having
multiple WIPs at the same time, but when the ideas flow, I say let them.

-JJB

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
I'm working on two WIPs right now (one of them is stuck on a plot point), and I have an idea for a third. I'm not always a big fan of having
multiple WIPs at the same time, but when the ideas flow, I say let them.

-JJB

I'm with you there. This is the first time I've worked on concurrent projects. The demands on my time went through the roof.

Serendipity

My joy is the fact that I am able to pursue my writing again. I had to take five years off to care for aging parents. Now I am back, and I am ecstatic about being able to write and submit my work. I'm a little rusty, but I'm sure it will pass.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
After returning home from a Karate tournament yesterday, I worked on the Afterword and the blurb/product description for Redemption. Today I'm diving back into the plot of Inception (my next book).

Last edited:

JJBuchholz

My novella that I have been talking about in another thread is finally unstuck and nearing completion. I found the device needed to
move the plot ahead yet maintain an emotional impact (also giving my main characters pause to reflect), and it worked out nicely.

All I need to do now is stick the ending (not always easy).

-JJB

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
I thought I'd finish my novella before our vacation last week. Events conspired against that. :) Plus I didn't write on vacation, and this week got a bit hectic. I did squeeze in 500 words on chapter 18 today, though. Plus, I finished the 30 poem NaPoWriMo challenge.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Working my way through the plot of Inception... for the third time. Will probably do it again before starting on the first draft.

Redemption is still with my editor. She was hit by breast cancer several years ago and still struggles with the aftereffects. Her input should be in my hands in another week or so. From what she's told me, there's nothing earth shattering coming my way (good news).

Taylor

Friends of WF
I was just about to write an email to say I would be willing to work on Saturday (Covid relief) for the fifth week in a row after working overtime all week, and an email popped up with the title "OT not required this weekend." Yay!!!! I can write this weekend. I look forward to posting my writing success on Sunday.

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
Last night I wrote the last chapter and last line of my fairy-tale novella. :) That is the last of my "started but running in place" projects. Now I can start the next one with a clean slate and nothing hanging around in the background.

I have several in mind to pick from, but I also just inquired about the possibility of adding to an existing series, and should that get an okay (only slight better chance of this than the Heinlein sequel I wrote though), THAT would suddenly become my next project. I wrote a 2000 word opening scene to see if I could do it justice, and I believe I did. In this case I am in contact with the original author's family, but they are not in control of the literary estate, the late author's agent is. The family might be okay with it, but they don't have the authority to green light it. They have agreed to pass my idea along to the agent though, so unlike the Heinlein sequel, I'll at least get a hearing, even if it's a no.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I decided to buckle down and go through a printout of a story that I've been working on for a few months, on and off, highlighting parts I like and making notes. The title was terrible, I hated it every time I wrote it or saw it so this morning I tackled the title, just combing through quote after quote about the story's theme. After making many more notes than I intended to a new title popped into my head....revealing that the story I'd been working on was only the frame of the story. There will be seventeen stories told within the story. Holy cow, so there's basically an anthology. Most of the progress today after that has been just my imagination offering up more changes and expansions while I hunted for scraps of paper to make notes or ran repeatedly to my computer.

It may not be success in the action of writing but when my imagination suddenly serves up a bunch of ideas, I consider that to be a win!

Users who are viewing this thread