Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Share the joy: what's your writing success today? (1 Viewer)

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Last report I'd just finished Chapter Ten. Fast forward, and I just put Chapter Thirteen to sleep tonight. The bad guys had a very bad episode with the cat, with a major assist from Merwen the mouse. Could his name be Merwen because it sounds something like Merlin? Nah. Not that I'd tell.

I had a section of dialogue in my previous post, and we've discussed dialogue in my thread and a couple of others recently. This concerns dialogue tags and other methods of identifying the speaker. I've got something completely different in mind here. There are four intruders, and they're having conversations. The mouse is hearing them through a mouse-sized crack in the baseboard. I'm simply not naming the intruders nor indicating which one is saying what, though I give a little personality (so far) for two of them. It really doesn't matter who is saying what. It's the gist of each conversation that's important.

Aren't I just SOOOO avant-garde?
Of course you are. You’re an ascot wearing writer and an inspiration on WF.

Taylor

Friends of WF
Last report I'd just finished Chapter Ten. Fast forward, and I just put Chapter Thirteen to sleep tonight. The bad guys had a very bad episode with the cat, with a major assist from Merwen the mouse. Could his name be Merwen because it sounds something like Merlin? Nah. Not that I'd tell.

I had a section of dialogue in my previous post, and we've discussed dialogue in my thread and a couple of others recently. This concerns dialogue tags and other methods of identifying the speaker. I've got something completely different in mind here. There are four intruders, and they're having conversations. The mouse is hearing them through a mouse-sized crack in the baseboard. I'm simply not naming the intruders nor indicating which one is saying what, though I give a little personality (so far) for two of them. It really doesn't matter who is saying what. It's the gist of each conversation that's important.

Aren't I just SOOOO avant-garde?

So the only way the reader will know there are four intruders is the difference in personality? Or some other indication?

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
Chapter 14 done. I should have this novella's first draft done before we go on vacation the end of next week. It's starting to really roll now that the mouse and cat are on offense. Merwen has launched the cat into a surprise attack on the four intruders, and they're assessing the damage after the cat once again escaped untouched. The family is immobilized by magic, but their housekeeper has been left free to cook. The worst wounded intruder is curled in a fetal position on the floor with serious injury to face and neck. His comrade is trying to assist him.

He looked at the mother. “Do you have any salves to help cat scratches and bites?”

“She can’t talk, remember?”

“Oh, right.” He looked at the housekeeper. “How about it?”

“Sure, I’ve got something over here in the cupboard. It will sting and hurt, I warn you.”

“What medicine doesn’t? Go get it!”

The housekeeper pulled a jar out of the cupboard, and Merwen had seen her use a paste out of that jar before. She used it to scour particularly dirty pots. The man took the jar. He pulled his comrade’s arms away from his head and began to apply the paste. Screaming recommenced as he slathered on the grainy green concoction.

“Got any whiskey? If we can get some down him that might help a little.”

“Yes, sir, we have some over here in the same cupboard. Use it for cooking sometimes.” The housekeeper retrieved an unmarked bottle of cleaning fluid and handed it over.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
This morning I trained in martial arts, and tutored five ladies getting ready to test for their 2nd Dan Black Belt test. In the afternoon, I reworked an old short story about growing up in a small town in the Redwoods, then put it up on my website.

JJBuchholz

I've finally managed to end a two-week period of time in which I wrote nothing, and didn't even come up with a viable idea. I've come
up with a premise for a novella in one of my series (Temporal Flux) that sees the events of September 11/2001 never happen. A man
gets pulled into a temporal schism during the attacks (due to the energy released), along with newspapers from the 12th. Emerging
over a week in the past, he somehow alters history to where none of it happened.

Agents Six and Red from the 27th Century T.E.B. (Temporal Enforcement Bureau) split up to investigate, find the man, and discover
that he's deranged and doesn't want to be sent back to the proper timeline, in which he dies in the WTC along with all the others.

I'm still jotting down plot points and such, but the working title right now is 'Terror'.

I hope to start a draft soon.

-JJB

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
I am very excited about my first Nanowrimo.
I discovered that you can insert multiple projects.

November's a bad time for me. Hallmark Christmas movies have already started! LOL (Plus Thanksgiving week).

However, looking back, I did manage 12.5K last November, but I had a couple of tie ups. The first chapter started that month took two weeks because I could not decide how to go about a major encounter. The next chapter didn't come easily, either. However, I did write 85K words for a complete novel last May. I just have to pick my own month. :)

Writing success today? Finishing up Chapter 15, started last night but I had to cut off for an early appointment this morning. Plus, I managed a poem for the 9th straight day. I'm gonna get that badge on my profile if I have to rewrite Old Mother Hubbard one day!

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
Chapter 17 of the fairy tale complete. The story took a left turn along the way. I'd intended more of a battle of wits between the invaders and the magic mouse, but the invaders are having a hard time recovering from the very first encounter, so now I'm playing their reaction to that episode for laughs with the mouse occasionally bedeviling them. It reminds me a bit of the movie Mouse Hunt, but I'm not derivative of Mouse Hunt, and didn't have it in mind when I started this. The basis of the comparison is man vs. mouse with man encountering misery. I'm probably closer to Home Alone. :) However, here I have the entire family still home, just being succored by the mouse.

ETA: I can NEVER encounter the word "succor" without laughing once again at my favorite episode of The Vicar of Dibley. :)

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Just passed the halfway point of edit #4 of my novel Redemption. So far, just untangled a few paragraphs for clarity, and made some changes to word choice. Looking good so far.

Darkkin

WF Veterans
Procrastination paid off. I don't know why, but when I put things off and they pile up and I finally take the time to get caught up, I deviate from plan and my pantsing usually seems to work pretty well. The work tends to be a little more organic.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Today my printer ran off my first rough draft copy of a poetry chapbook I'm going to self-publish. It would be of limited interested to the world but would be quite interesting for friends and relatives. It's on a trip I took to Indonesia and it's wonderful seeing the 19 poems (4 previously published) all collected together in book form. It's amazing how many little mistakes litter the landscape, too. I thought everything was nice and clean. So now I'm busy fixing all those little snags. Soon as I choose a cover, and fish out more mistakes, I'll be finished and can submit it to Amazon's KDP. (Unless some of you suggest a different publishing place.) I've never self-published before so it's been quite interesting and it's going to be exciting to see the finished book. So far, it looks great.

Plus, I wrote another poem for the 30 poems in 30 days event. That was Poem #17 I submitted today. This is far from easy to do. But rough drafts are better than no drafts (usually).

Good day, all in all.

Mark Twain't

Being the saddo that I am, I listed all 90 chapters in Excel then, in the next column, listed all the revisions and additions I want to make.

Users who are viewing this thread