Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Share the joy: what's your writing success today? (5 Viewers)

Darkkin

WF Veterans
I nattered a bit on things I wouldn't otherwise talk about on my IG, quite simply because no one asks...Some people use social media for attention. I use it as a sounding board to make sense out of the world, usually by writing about small things that make me think.

vranger

Staff member
Global Moderator
Having finished the last of my peaceful lead into the action, I got back to this manuscript tonight for chapter ten, and the bad guys easily infiltrated and took over. Only the magic mouse and the family cat escaped capture. So I got into some action and dialogue, and I can breeze through some action and dialogue. I wrote the chapter in about 40 minutes. :) Disclaimer: These are only 1000+ word chapters.

The only drag on production from here to the end is that I have to create situations for the magic mouse and the cat to bedevil and eventually defeat the intruders. And that has to happen gradually, since I have nine chapters to fill with that stuff. LOL

“So what is this about a mouse?” The words were followed by the human laughter Merwen could recognize and understand.

“There was a mouse in the little girl’s room, sleeping on her pillow. The thing sensed me coming, resisted the sleeping spell, and flew off through the wall!”

“A ‘mouse’ resisted the spell. I know you’re not drunk, so what’s wrong with this story?”

“Nothing’s ‘wrong’ with what I’m telling you. It happened.”

“And you’re worried about a mouse?” Now laughter pealed from three throats, each a unique expression of the form.

“I didn’t say I was worried about a mouse. It happened, and it’s surprising. Very odd.”

“I don’t think you know what you saw. But while you’re worrying about dumb animals, why don’t you go find that cat before it causes any more trouble?”

“I didn’t say I was worried, I tell you. And you find the cat. You’re the one it scratched.”

“Okay, I’ll find the cat if you’re not up to it. I’ll be back in a few minutes.” Footsteps clacked across the floor and away.

The cat had limited spaces in which to hide. However, cats have an innate property having nothing to do with magic. Have you ever tried to find a hiding cat? Good luck. They can reach and fit into, behind, under, on top of, and in the middle of spots you’d deem impossible.

By mid-morning, the intruders abandoned the search for the cat. Eavesdropping again, Merwen overhead them guess the cat found a way outside. Of course, Merwen knew where the cat had hidden. Their error amused Merwen, all the more because he knew the cat was close by … next door in the sitting room … sitting on top of the chimney flue.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Working away on Inception - a techo-thriller set in a near-future Silicon Valley. Still in the plotting phase, and won't start the first draft until June or July. Found some plot holes, filling them in. Adding back story and motivation for my characters. My MC has a stuttering problem that will be surgically corrected in chapter 3 (that's were the adventure really begins), and in doing research I learned that males are four times more likely to develop stuttering than are females. Interesting.

Taylor

Friends of WF
Working away on Inception - a techo-thriller set in a near-future Silicon Valley. Still in the plotting phase, and won't start the first draft until June or July. Found some plot holes, filling them in. Adding back story and motivation for my characters. My MC has a stuttering problem that will be surgically corrected in chapter 3 (that's were the adventure really begins), and in doing research I learned that males are four times more likely to develop stuttering than are females. Interesting.

Can't wait for Inception! I put my hand up for beta reader if needed.

Taylor

Friends of WF
The only thing I wrote today (not includng WF posts) was comments to explain why I overrode system-generated failures of applications for Covid benefits that were denied only because of mistakes or clerical errors. Getting money into needy hands is a worthy reason to write. Very satisfying!

Taylor

Friends of WF
Interesting word count today...1111. And oh what glorious words! foxee inspired me to use Shakespearean quotes in my dialogue.

Super stoked about it because the whole Hamlet and Polonius relationship is perfect for my theme. I'm going to bring the two Shakespearean characters (by quotes) into the mix as having comparable motives/conflicts to my characters to create suspicion. Yay...I love this stuff!!

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Interesting word count today...1111. And oh what glorious words! foxee inspired me to use Shakespearean quotes in my dialogue.

Super stoked about it because the whole Hamlet and Polonius relationship is perfect for my theme. I'm going to bring the two Shakespearean characters (by quotes) into the mix as having comparable motives/conflicts to my characters to create suspicion. Yay...I love this stuff!!

Great news! Congratulations!

I'm still working on the second pass of the plot for my Inception novel - I have five more chapters to go, and the outline is currently sitting at ~13,000 words - all bullet points. After this pass there will probably be three or four more before I start in on the first draft.

Character profiles still lie ahead. My MC (Mike Collins) is sort-of modeled from the Irish leader Michael Collins that helped free his country from the English. I talked my wife into watching a movie about him last night (she was bored), and I decided to have my character actually be a descendant of Michael Collin's older brother Patrick John Collins. He'll have to make some speeches about freedom, so that should fit right in.

I like including animals in the story - and my MC will have a cat, who currently appears in my profile pic over there <--.

The female MC will be named Melissa (Mel) Taylor.

Taylor

Friends of WF
Great news! Congratulations!

I'm still working on the second pass of the plot for my Inception novel - I have five more chapters to go, and the outline is currently sitting at ~13,000 words - all bullet points. After this pass there will probably be three or four more before I start in on the first draft.

Character profiles still lie ahead. My MC (Mike Collins) is sort-of modeled from the Irish leader Michael Collins that helped free his country from the English. I talked my wife into watching a movie about him last night (she was bored), and I decided to have my character actually be a descendant of Michael Collin's older brother Patrick John Collins. He'll have to make some speeches about freedom, so that should fit right in.

I like including animals in the story - and my MC will have a cat, who currently appears in my profile pic over there <--.

The female MC will be named Melissa (Mel) Taylor.

You've made great progress! You must be excited about this one.

Love the names.

EternalGreen

Some days I write like an actual maniac on Adderall--the next, I feel anxious I don't have enough written.

It's not always about word count. The writer's ability is her best investment. Gods knows (if god there is, which I deny) the world doesn't need me churning out slush for the world's slushpiles; it needs carefully crafted, lurid prose. I refuse to value quantity over quality. Still, I can manage just shy of 1,000 fictional words per day. That's enough.

I find creative memoir extremely easy to write. In that genre, I can manage 1,000 words in just a few hours. This discovery is my joy for today.

Taylor

Friends of WF
This is so cool, I have to share this. I just cracked 70,000 words! And what's particularly cool about that is my original goal when I started the novel in January 2020, was to write two chapters a month and complete at 70K. Since then I have upped the needed word count to about 100K.

However, I just finished Chapter 33, and that puts me over my original goal, which would have been 32 chapters by the end of April.

Thanks to everyone who has supported me on this milestone...you know who you are. :)

Last edited:

vranger

Staff member
Global Moderator
This is so cool, I have to share this. I just cracked 70,000 words! And what's particularly cool about that is my original goal when I started the novel in January 2020, was to write two chapters a month and complete at 70K. Since then I have upped the needed word count to about 100K.

However, I just finished Chapter 33, and that puts me over my original goal, which would have been 32 chapters by the end of April.

Thanks to everyone who has supported me on this milestone...you know who you are. :)

As we would say in some other forums (or online games) -- WOOT! :)

The cool thing on a first novel is this is about the tipping point where you now know ... KNOW ... where you're going and that you're going to finish. :)

vranger

Staff member
Global Moderator
Last report I'd just finished Chapter Ten. Fast forward, and I just put Chapter Thirteen to sleep tonight. The bad guys had a very bad episode with the cat, with a major assist from Merwen the mouse. Could his name be Merwen because it sounds something like Merlin? Nah. Not that I'd tell.

I had a section of dialogue in my previous post, and we've discussed dialogue in my thread and a couple of others recently. This concerns dialogue tags and other methods of identifying the speaker. I've got something completely different in mind here. There are four intruders, and they're having conversations. The mouse is hearing them through a mouse-sized crack in the baseboard. I'm simply not naming the intruders nor indicating which one is saying what, though I give a little personality (so far) for two of them. It really doesn't matter who is saying what. It's the gist of each conversation that's important.

Aren't I just SOOOO avant-garde?

Users who are viewing this thread