My whole process kind of looks like this:
1) Story idea pops into my head (either random, or through some sort of inspiration).
2) Figure out the plot of the story, and how it will play out (depending on if it's in one of my universes, or a stand-alone).
3) Work on an idea sheet, making point form notes and adding most of the needed information (characters, setting,
plot points, title, etc.)
4) When the idea sheet is at least 75% complete, start writing the draft while adding points to the idea sheet.
5) Complete the story, and go over the idea sheet once more.
There is sometimes an extra step, or additions to some of the steps listed above.
Sounds like a good plan!
NOW GET TO WORK! (just kidding... not really)