Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Share the joy: what's your writing success today? (4 Viewers)

Taylor

Friends of WF
Nice! I like the title. Is it part of a series?

I just finished chapter twenty-five of my first novel. I was pleased to have it complete, because it was a particularly difficult chapter. It holds clues to the mystery and needs to tie into previous chapter foreshadowing, as well as lead to the next suspicious event. My plot is based on true events of a certain period, so I had to do quite a bit of digging to find an appropriate clue. I'm really happy that I found something with good bones, that I can build on.

Last edited:

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Great news, Indianroads! Great title.

Taylor, WTG!

Nice to hear of progress, hat's off to the writers of long works! Nice idea for a thread, too.

I'm happy that I've had about an hour from 7 am to 8 am open up four mornings a week and I've been getting my coffee, herding up my new little neurons, and writing for most of that time. I've got a possibly-short-story underway, about 2,900 words into the first draft and the juice is still flowing so that's always a good day.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Taylor & Foxee, great news!

Taylor: I'm unsure if my current work will become a series, unlike my Extinction series I don’t see an overarching theme or story, but the world it’s set in has the potential to spawn more tales. So, for now it’s stand alone. Next up could be a prehistory tale around the Gobekli Tepe archeological site.

Foxee: I’m enjoying the luxury of retirement, and write for about five hours a day. Life is good for this old fart.

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
Can I jump the gun? I got off to a slow start on Chapter 17, just 500 words each two nights in a row. Night before last I got out 1500 words, though, which gets me to half the chapter. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I zone in on 5000 word chapters as an average, looking for 20 chapters for 100K words. All of my early writing career was spent budgeting stories to specific word counts, so that's where this comes from. ;-)

So tonight I'm about to bear down on the last half of Chapter 17 and hopefully polish it off. I know where it's going, and as long as that's in mind, I can crank out the words. Here's my favorite scene from the first half of the chapter:

"I'm looking for a friend. He's likely in an opium den. What I want from you is a list of opium dens."

He digested this statement and looked us over. There was never a local narc who looked like us. I didn't consider the man quick-witted, but I had confidence he could get that far. I also had confidence he'd realize he looked on a foreign couple, likely holding a roll of cash, in an alley they should never have walked down. I saw that gleam in his eyes, but I knew he'd as of yet no opportunity to pass the word along so we could be surrounded. I glanced at Agares, shrugged, and kicked him in the nuts. I dragged what was left out into the alley, and pulled the door closed behind him.

He whined pitifully. I gave Agares the high sign. She displayed fangs and extended her fingernails, the same ones which had gashed Athena's cheek and shredded a priceless Persian rug. She used the middle nail on her left hand to draw blood on his neck, showed him the blood, then licked it to clean the nail. A new combination of expressions revealed themselves … fear and contrition.

"As soon as you feel like talking, I'll have that list. Of course, we could get it from someone else once you're no longer available to speak."

We got the list.

Taylor

Friends of WF
Well, last year in January, I started my novel. My goal was to write a minimum of two chapters a month. I had some really productive months in the Spring, beating my target. Then in August to November, I got distracted when we sold our family home, downsized and moved to a small town. It had gone completely cold. Then I started back up with encouragement from this forum, and made really good time in December and early January. Today I started chapter twenty-six. If I can complete it by January 31, I will have caught up to my original goal.

Thanks to all of those who said, just write...write...write!

Last edited:

Cephus

Yesterday, finished the first book in a new series, it came in around 117k and took just over a month to write. Today, I'm off to editing and I'm reading an entire series that I wrote last year so I can get through editing duties on the final book.

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
Well, last year in January, I started my novel. My goal was to write a minimum of two paragraphs a month. I had some really productive months in the Spring, beating my target. Then in August to November, I got distracted when we sold our family home, downsized and moved to a small town. It had gone completely cold. Then I started back up with encouragement from this forum, and made really good time in December and early January. Today I started chapter twenty-six. If I can complete it by January 31, I will have caught up to my original goal.

Thanks to all of those who said, just write...write...write!

Did you mean "two chapters a month"? ;-)

And well done. About how close do you think you are overall to completion?

Tiamat

Patron
I haven't had any ideas that were worth writing down for the last couple of weeks, but that all changed a few days ago. I started in on it today and I'm pleased with how it's going. I'm not nearly as productive as others in this thread, so I won't be throwing down thousands of words in a single day most of the time. But the idea is just for a short story, so if I can finish a first draft by the end of next weekend, I'll be satisfied.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
Phenomenal day today - 2,500 words written and chapter 24 complete. Four more chapters to go!

This was the chapter where the two main characters first meet - well - they did run into each other earlier but it was brief because he punched her in the the temple and knocked her out... so no conversation.

I'm enthused by how the story is developing. It's definitely non-standard, they're both bad people doing bad things on opposite sides of a war. Circumstances change them though, and as their arcs converge they're morphing into different people. It's a blast to write.

Taylor

Friends of WF
Phenomenal day today - 2,500 words written and chapter 24 complete. Four more chapters to go!

This was the chapter where the two main characters first meet - well - they did run into each other earlier but it was brief because he punched her in the the temple and knocked her out... so no conversation.

I'm enthused by how the story is developing. It's definitely non-standard, they're both bad people doing bad things on opposite sides of a war. Circumstances change them though, and as their arcs converge they're morphing into different people. It's a blast to write.

I heard Stephen Kings daily goal was 2,000. You must have been on fire! Good work!!

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
I heard Stephen Kings daily goal was 2,000. You must have been on fire! Good work!!

This is way above normal for me - so it's a bit of a fluke. I can usually get in 1,000 words, but the confluence of characters and events made it easier.

Taylor

Friends of WF
My writing has slowed down these last few days because I am navigating through a treacherous part of the story arc. It is based on real life events of a crime, something like building a fictional story around an actual war. The facts and timelines need to be authentic. But then trying to weave in the fictional part, it all has to work believably with the reality. I feel sort of like I'm on tightrope for a short period and there's no way around it. Only about 400-600 words a day. The good part is, I know if I hunker down and do it, I'll be out of this passage soon, and can get back onto the fun stuff, like the steamy romance.

Users who are viewing this thread