Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Senior Members (1 Viewer)

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
I've noticed several people got a "senior member" status even though they hadn't been here but a few weeks. A bunch of old timers didn't. Is this an oversight or mistake, because to me it is bizarre. I read the definition of senior members, it doesn't make sense with what's happening. I'm not complaining, but this is strange.

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
As far as I'm aware, it just means that they've made 100+ posts.
If that's the case, why do some people who've been here since 2006/2009 don't have one. I imagine it hit me because I've spent 40 years in the corporate jungles and this happens all the time. Say you're a manager who's been with the company 20 years and they hire a kid straight out of college and make him senior manager. To many people that would their blood boil and head explode. Mainly, though, if that's the case they need to be consistent. One person got it after being a member one day.

• Thanks
Reactions: PiP

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
If that's the case, why do some people who've been here since 2006/2009 don't have one. I imagine it hit me because I've spent 40 years in the corporate jungles and this happens all the time. Say you're a manager who's been with the company 20 years and they hire a kid straight out of college and make him senior manager. To many people that would their blood boil and head explode. Mainly, though, if that's the case they need to be consistent. One person got it after being a member one day.
Fair point. Please let me know which members and I will check their account. :) But I will also add, it depends on how many post they've made since joining WF. It is not time-bounded it depends on the level of participation

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
ETA. What is more important is that those who have actively participated on WF for over a year have Veteran status.

Member is the xF equivalent of New Member
Senior Member is xF equivalent of Member

I'll start a thread in the Tavern where people can nominate Veterans.

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
I just found this in Help

Senior Members: Members keep threads alive by adding their works, and their contributions to the discussions. They create their own threads, whether it's writing posted for critique, a question about dialogue, or an off-topic discussion about gardening or music. That's what a writing forum is all about, and it certainly couldn't exist without general membership.

Members: Due to spammers (people and bots who register just to advertise), we have put a few restrictions on new accounts. You can't create any threads in the creative areas (the Workshop, Fiction, Poetry, etc), and you also can't update your avatar or your signature until you have made ten valid initial posts. Or you can also pay the subscription fee and become a Friend of WF

As PiP said, it's about contributions rather than length of membership

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Fair point. Please let me know which members and I will check their account. :) But I will also add, it depends on how many post they've made since joining WF. It is not time-bounded it depends on the level of participation
HD Biro Join date 6/6/21
MooreMom523 join date 5/29/21
Taurus34 join date 5/7/21
Davinci join date 5/15/21
anamable join date 5/4/21
RachelR join date 5/3/21 These are just some examples, and I'm not making a bad examples of these particular members. I understand that often new members jump right into the fray and become great contributors and fine members - and I think they should be encouraged. However, I think the online definition of "senior members" is too vague, plus the very word "senior" indicates, as bloggsworth stated, length of service. I'm beginning to think this might be a generational quirk. Frankly, I believe that most of our members are professional enough to not let this bother them too much. It just hit me wrong, but I'm trying to improve the site, not so much being pedantic. How do you judge "level of participation" comparing someone who had been here a few months with someone who has been here several years?

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
How do you judge "level of participation" comparing someone who had been here a few months with someone who has been here several years?
It has nothing to do with length of membership. It's just an automated moving on in rank. Done by the system, just like our previous forum did. Just with different names. And has nothing to do with judging anyone.

It's as PiP says

Member is the xF equivalent of New Member
Senior Member is xF equivalent of Member

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
They will get that rank as soon as they log on. The system looks at people who log in, and will automatically adjust the rank.

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
Yes, like Darren and PiP have both said, it is all automated by the system which moves them to the next category depending on how many posts they've made. vBulletin did the same thing, but the 'names/terms' were different.