Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Self publishing, back cover book description. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently preparing to self publish my first novel. I am having a bit of trouble reducing my 53,000+ words into a 300 word description. This is my first draft. If anyone has any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for giving me a chance.

Remy Giordano is a 23-year-old aspiring music journalist who has lived a life full, passed the brim with a series of dizzying events. First there was the suicide. Then, just as her life was falling to pieces, her best friend abandoned her. Then there was the fatal car accident.
Remy has spent a lifetime caring too much for those around her, neglecting herself. There are those out there who might say that this was her downfall, but Remy’s not looking for anyone’s opinion anymore.
Five years after the tragic accident that left Remy’s head spinning she finds herself twisted in to a faux romance with a disturbingly handsome and infuriatingly arrogant musician. She struggles to ignore the sting of the past and move on, until it all comes back to haunt her in the form of her estranged best friend.
It won’t be until Remy finds herself devastated, sitting on the ground in the pouring rain, with the light at the end of the tunnel looking positively dismal, that she will decide to write to us. She does this all in an attempt to right all of her wrongs and to gain some perspective. Remy will come to realize that it becomes easier for her to trust herself and her own instincts as she grows bolder and more honest with those around her. Fueled by the horrors of her past, and the upsets in her present Remy weaves us an open, honest story without skimping on romance, unexpected fame, and her biting wit.

Last edited:

Dave Watson

WF Veterans
Hey Goldie! (can I call you Goldie?)

Not to be a pedantic arse, but I believe 53k words isn't long enough to be called a novel. Something this length would be classed as a novella I think. Just saying!

The blurb you have here is well written, but I'd say it's too long. You want to give a general idea about the story and the main characters, but not reveal too much or get bogged down in too much detail.

Granted I've not read the story and may be missing something important, but If I may, I'd go for something like this...

Remy Giordano is a young aspiring music journalist haunted by tragedy. The suicide, her best friend's abandonment, the car accident.

Five years later, as she struggles to ignore the sting of the past while finding herself entwined with a handsome but arrogant musician, the past comes back to haunt her in the form of her estranged best friend.

It won’t be until Remy finds herself devastated once more that she will decide to write to us.

Fueled by the horrors of her past and the upsets in her present, Remy weaves an open, honest story of romance, unexpected fame, and wit.

Honestly, I appreciate the feedback. I have found it incredibly challenging to get clear, honest advice like this. I actually agree with you this gave away a bit to much of the story. I was having trouble weeding out the essential details, thank you for pointing them out to me. I have looked it back over and here is what I have come up with.

Remy Giordano, a 23-year-old aspiring music journalist has lived a life full, passed the brim with a series of dizzying events. There was the suicide, her best friend abandoning her, and then there was that fatal car accident.
Five years after the tragic accident that left Remy’s head spinning she finds herself twisted into a faux romance with a disturbingly handsome yet infuriatingly arrogant musician.
It won’t be until Remy finds herself devastated, sitting on the ground in the pouring rain, with the light at the end of the tunnel looking positively dismal, that she will decide to write to us. Remy will realize that it becomes easier for her to trust herself and her own instincts as she grows bolder and more honest with those around her. Fueled by the horrors of her past, and the upsets in her present Remy weaves us an open, honest story without skimping on romance, unexpected fame, and a biting wit.

Thank you, again, for your help.

moderan

WF Veterans
That's still really wordy. The first sentence doesn't make a lot of sense, even if you replace "passed" with "past". I'd just change it to "a full life" and forget about the "dizzying events', which you'll describe in a moment or two.
The thing about the "disturbingly handsome yet infuriatingly arrogant musician" is just annoying. You know anyone arrogant who isn't infuriating? And what exactly is disturbingly handsome?
And that last paragraph is just strange. The tense is odd and the sentences are overlong. Light can't look dismal. It can be dim, circumstances can be dismal. I'd work on cutting that down and finding appropriate similes.

Dave Watson

WF Veterans
Not to be a pedantic arse, but I believe 53k words isn't long enough to be called a novel. Something this length would be classed as a novella I think. Just saying!

Goldie, I stand corrected and do apologise. Just looked it up and though it seems to vary, Wikipedia (that paragon of eternal wisdom!) has a novel as being anything over 40k words. Sure I read somewhere a novel had to be at least 70k, but there you go.

moderan

WF Veterans
SFWA rules (officially for the Nebula Awards):

1. Short Story: less than 7,500 words;
  2. Novelette: at least 7,500 words but less than 17,500 words;
  3. Novella: at least 17,500 words but less than 40,000 words
  4. Novel: 40,000 words or more.
    1. At the author’s request, a novella-length work published individually, rather than as a part of a collection, anthology, or other collective work, shall appear in the novel category.

moderan

WF Veterans
Writing World has it as:
Micro-Flash -- 100 words or less

Flash -- 100 - 1000 words
Short story -- 1000 - 7500 words
Novelette -- 7500 - 20,000 words
Novella -- 20,000 - 50,000 words
Novel -- 50,000 - 110,000 words
Epic -- 110,000 words and over

Grape Juice Vampire

I agree completely with moderan, so much so, I don't really have anything to add except, don't worry if it's simple. It may be the best thing in this case.

moderan

WF Veterans
Yeah. No offense, but periodically I scroll through the kindle books on Amazon or the self-pubbed books on Lulu, looking for a gem, for someone who knows how to write a blurb or elevator pitch, something that indicates competence approaching a professional level. I rarely find it. But I find a lot of stuff like this. It doesn't stand out from the herd;it grazes.

Just to be fair to you, here's my back cover copy, from an upcoming book:
CRAZYTOWN
Linked tales depicting the life and times of the residents of a fictional quadruplex.
Two of the stories are brand new for the collection-the others have been revised and expanded from previously-existing material, some of which has been published elsewhere.
Each story has both a title and an alphanumerical designation. The underlying, linking story is told on several levels including the metaversal and metafictional.
Some of the stories feature beings and concepts from the late H. P. Lovecraft's curio cabinet. Some don't have any humans in them. Some have people who may not be (people) or (human). Some have multiple points of view, or multiple endings. That's how it is in CrazyTown.
Crazytown is of course in the middle of Midtown. It is two adobe structures with 32 exterior doors that are at once Dhalgren, the House of Doors, Arkham and Arkham Asylum.
You can walk in Midtown during the day, and sometimes even interact with people who aren’t from Midtown, but the borders are fluid and you don’t want to be caught out because you may come back to a different life.
There is no not coming back. You are inextricably linked to Crazytown.
The bus can take you out of town but you don’t always return to the same life or during the same time as when you left. The distortion is greater with distance.

WriterJohnB

WF Veterans
Here's the rewrite I mentioned in my PM. I thing "fatal car accident" gives the first impression that your main character dies, you might rethink that.

Remy Giordano is a 23-year-old aspiring music journalist whose life is falling to pieces, including a fatal car accident. She has spent a lifetime caring too much for those around her, neglecting herself. Five years after the tragic accident, she struggles to ignore the sting of the past and move on, but she finds herself in a dizzying romance with a disturbingly handsome and infuriatingly arrogant musician.

It won’t be until Remy finds herself devastated, with the light at the end of the tunnel looking unreachable, that she will come to realize that she can trust herself and her own instincts, and she grows bolder and more honest with those around her. Fueled by the horrors of her past, and the upsets in her present, Remy, with her biting wit, weaves us into an open, honest story about romance and unexpected fame.

Hope that helps,

JohnB

movieman

I thing "fatal car accident" gives the first impression that your main character dies, you might rethink that.

Yeah, the first thing I thought while reading the blurb was that the character was a ghost. That may not be the intention :).

Personally I find back cover blurbs far more difficult to write than stories, but, looking at a random selection of trade-published novels, big publishers seem to have the same problem.

Thank you for pointing out that 'fatal' car accident gave you this first impression. I hadn't picked up on that myself, probably only because I know that my main character is alive.

Thank you for all of your advice. I never would have guessed that writing the back blurb would be one of the more frustrating parts of this process. I think that this is what I have finally settled on.

Remy Giordano, a 23-year-old aspiring music journalist has lived a life overburdened by tragic, life altering events. There was the suicide, her best friend abandoning her, and then there was that car accident.
Five years after the accident that ripped Remy’s world apart she finds herself entwined in a faux -romance with a handsome yet insufferably arrogant musician. Struggling to let go of the past and move forward, Remy finds herself ensnared in tragedy once more as she comes face-to-face with her estranged friend.
It won’t be until Remy finds herself shattered once more that she will decide to write to us.
Fueled by the horrors of her past, and the upsets in her present Remy weaves us an open, honest story of romance, betrayal and unexpected fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.