Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Seeking Knowledge about Zines (1 Viewer)

C

coco_kisses

Hello and thanks for reading my post. As you can see I'm a newbie and what led me to this site was my search for knowledge on starting a magazine. Thus leading to this post, lol.

I am starting a magazine as an e-zine first, than branching off into print. I'm currently doing all the leg work needed (biz plan, domain etc.) What I would like is some advice on how to get this off the ground.

I mean for example, I'm good with graphics but not so much with html. After reading some posts around here I've come to the conclusion having a neat and orderly website (domain) is better than just telling potential writers you have something and expecting them to just want to add thier hard earned work.

Also, I'm looking for a staff to help with the writing and overall creative process of the zine. It's a magazine dedicated to every type of woman in every type of situation. How can I go about securing this staff?

I hope this was understandable. Any and all advice is needed and loved.

Thanks!

Mike C

WF Veterans
coco_kisses said:
I am starting a magazine as an e-zine first, than branching off into print. I'm currently doing all the leg work needed (biz plan, domain etc.) What I would like is some advice on how to get this off the ground.

Well a biz plan puts you head and shoulders above most people who start 'zines, so that's a good start.

I mean for example, I'm good with graphics but not so much with html.

Getting the website right is important, and can save you hassle too. If you're good with graphics, design the 'look' of the site on photoshop or suchlike, and look around for someone to do the code for you. Stick to your strengths. Don't use free hosting, DO get a relevant domain name. You can get by with just about anything, but a quality, professional looking site will attract quality, professional writing, which is what you need to establish a reputation and win readers.

Also, I'm looking for a staff to help with the writing and overall creative process of the zine. It's a magazine dedicated to every type of woman in every type of situation. How can I go about securing this staff?

People will fall over themselves to work for you, but 90% of them will be worse than nobody. Either recruit people whose work you admire, or advertise, read excerpts of their work, give them some slush samples to read and comment on, and give them a piece to proof-read. And don't be suprised if, once the gloss has worn off, they disappear!