Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Secret Government Truth Serum (1 Viewer)

AncientCWS

I was going to place this in the "debates" section, but it really isn't a debate. I had an idea, then another idea, and finally ended up at this idea: to hear as many interesting thoughts as possible on one subject of interest to me.

In as much detail as you can grace me with, what changes/situations/things would take place if tomorrow morning the president came forward and told the absolute truth about anything the government had lied about, hidden from us, or otherwise slid past the majority of it's citizens? I mean everything. What do you think would happen / be said?

Last edited:

jj1027

Things would end horribly in all likelihood. If he revealed a few secrets, it may be a good thing, but secrets, at least some of them, are kept for a reason. Tell all the secrets, and things go very, very bad. Not saying they are right to keep all of their secrets, but some of them.

Dudester

There's a thing called "plausible deniability". What this is, is that the President isn't told everything-for instance-what goes in Area 51 (it really exists, but it's not a UFO Base-contrary to listeners of coast to coast), What you've heard about the wikileaks things with the diplomatic cables is the best example of what the President really knows (i.e. Germany has a weak Ambassador, Italy's PM likes underage girls, etc.).

So, if the President was given truth serum, this is what you would get.

AncientCWS

Hmm... very interesting. I'd like to know all of the secret weird stuff about world leaders that he's privy too. That would be awesome. I'm almost positive you could squeeze something a bit juicier than that, although I have no idea what it would be.

Dudester

What are you looking for ? Gossip ? The President is privy to the weaknesses of people he might have to deal with, same as like my job. I am a Shift Supervisor. I directly supervise 11 people, and at shift change, that swells to 22. I'm aware of the strengths/weaknesses not only of my subordinates, but my fellow Supervisors.

If gossip is what you're looking for, you might want to surf news sites and celeb sites.

AncientCWS

Well I was thinking more along the lines of the ENTIRE government being honest, and the president more or less just relaying the news to the public. So there are tons of possibilities, I just want to read what others think might be said / or occur from what is said. It's hypothetical, just want to read some interesting stuff is all :D

Dudester

Sitting at your computer and wanting all the secrets to come to you, is...I'll let you figure it out. You're a young guy, let me tell you a story.

I was quite young when I became involved with the volunteer fire depasrtment. At age 16, I had a summer job with the County. My boss was one of them "Ol Southern Crackers-let me tell you boy". Anyway, one night, I answered a fire call. We arrived on scene at a mobile home. The front door was open and there was smoke coming of the door. I pulled a hose to the front door. As I got there, my (County) boss greeted me at the door, pulling his pants up. Right behind him was my mom's best friend. She was pulling her shirt on. My boss asked what I was doing there. I told him to get out of the way so I could put the fire out.

I got home just as my mom was getting ready for work. I told her that her best friend would be late to work due to damage to her home. Here's the punch line-My boss and my mom's best friend were married-just not to each other.

So, the moral of the story is, leave your computer and go out into the world to find out things.

AncientCWS

Ah man, you are misconstruing me for something I am not.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. This is the writer's lounge where we can be off topic and such, correct? I wasn't asking for any real information, I just want peoples thoughts, written creatively, on the topic I've provided for my reading pleasure. 'Tis that simple, good sir. That's an interesting story you've got there, nonetheless.

AncientCWS

Things would end horribly in all likelihood. If he revealed a few secrets, it may be a good thing, but secrets, at least some of them, are kept for a reason. Tell all the secrets, and things go very, very bad. Not saying they are right to keep all of their secrets, but some of them.

--Yeah man, even a few secrets would probably stir things up good enough. All of them would most likely end in revolution of some sort, or complete global meltdown.

jj1027

Imagine he comes up and says there are Aliens in Area 51 right now, and that they are awaiting an invasion fleet. Any plan the country had is now ruined by the chaos stirred within the masses, because a secret had come out. This is just one example of many. My guess is there would be less then you'd think, but still some interesting stuff. Maybe some tech the general populace won't see for 5 years is being developed but kept quiet, or knowledge of the Apocalypse to come is being suppressed. You never know.

AncientCWS

Yeah. The alien thing would send the world into anarchy mostly, I think. That would be an intense situation. Some of the technology released would be crazy, and I'm sure a few of the ways they keep tabs on people would surface, and likely piss off the general populace. I'd to hear the truth about a few assassinations and such myself.

jj1027

The truth about Kennedy? They don't know. The government lost his brain, which would have held the evidence.