Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Scrivener vs yWriter - My decision (1 Viewer)

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Yeah, maybe when I move onto bigger projects, then I'll see the benefits more. Right now, I feel as if everything is too small, unless you can also change the size of the option buttons and the text on them? It's just so confusing because each video I watch, I try to replicate what I'm seeing and often I can't find that same option. I might play around with it a bit later.

Use the built-in Tutorial and you should be fine.

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
I think I'm going back to Word. I honestly don't see any advantages with Scrivener. It just seems far too complex for its own good and feels messy to use. Maybe I'll use it at some point to format stories for E-Books but that's about all. What is it people think makes Scrivener so good?

I think it's horses for courses. Scrivener may seem more complex and it probably is but that just means that it may take a little longer to get to grips with. I have to admit, I gave up on it the first time I tried it but I went back to it a number of years later and persevered and now I very much enjoy using it. I swear much less than I used to with Word.

And yes, the online tutorials are excellent.

Last edited:

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I found out what the problem was. The Mac version is (or was) much better than the PC version and had lots of features not available to PC users. Most YT vids are showing the Mac version.

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
I found out what the problem was. The Mac version is (or was) much better than the PC version and had lots of features not available to PC users. Most YT vids are showing the Mac version.

Yes, it was originally developed for the Mac so Windows updates tend to be way behind. Mac version 3 was released a few years ago whereas the Windows equivalent spent a long time in beta and was only released earlier this year.

LadySilence

I apologize.
I forgot to mention, that my PC, unfortunately, is Windows.
Unfortunately I don't know the Mac version.

Turnbull

Or...or just maybe....
Wordpad. From Windows XP.

Just kidding. I'm on a Linux system so I use Libreoffice. Wordpad from XP is just what I use on my phone when my laptop isn't accessible. No joke, it really works on android systems.

Probably Scrivener or whatever is a good idea, I just don't want to get distracted by features instead of actually writing. I like plain, vanilla wordprocessors. If I were going to use something fancy, it would be Twine, mainly for choose your own adventure style stories.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Or...or just maybe....
Wordpad. From Windows XP.

Just kidding. I'm on a Linux system so I use Libreoffice. Wordpad from XP is just what I use on my phone when my laptop isn't accessible. No joke, it really works on android systems.

Probably Scrivener or whatever is a good idea, I just don't want to get distracted by features instead of actually writing. I like plain, vanilla wordprocessors. If I were going to use something fancy, it would be Twine, mainly for choose your own adventure style stories.
On my project in development right now, I'm using the Scrivener corkboard feature to plot out a murder mystery, which needs detailed plotting that I normally don't do. I can add a new sub-document to my plot structure with just a double Shift-Enter, name it, tab, and type away on the next plot note. I started that in Excel, but my plot notes started to be more than is a good fit for even a cell when it grows with line feeds. I'm up around 120 plot notes now, and I think I'll probably be at 240-280 by the time I conclude the process.

If I decide to move a plot point, all I need to is drag its card to the new spot. What I REALLY like is I can do a search for a character, and only the cards in which that character appears are shown. MAJOR convenience for me in following a character through my plot. I've used that several times to make sure I'm not having a character do the same thing twice, or out of order with another event.

LadySilence

I love Scrivener, because it gives me the opportunity to have what I need to hand.
Yesterday I needed a map on hand; with Scrivener and simple status it is immediate. So I wasted no time.

FrancisD

I use Scrivener, and for keeping everything in one place and being able to organise, revise, label and time stamp stuff, it’s great. But I have not yet been able to export a novel to a Word doc in a format that is acceptable for submission to an agent or publisher. I get it as close as I can, and from then on I work in Word. Compile is a bit of a dark art.

Last edited:

FrancisD

What does the Mac version have that the Windows version doesn't?
I have only used the Mac version. As far as I know the aspiration is that their is no difference, there has been a recent update for the windows version to gain greater parity. There is an IOS version that you can sync with your Mac desktop or laptop, quite handy.

noisebloom

I use Scrivener, and for keeping everything in one place and being able to organise, revise, label and time stamp stuff, it’s great. But I have not yet been able to export a novel to a Word doc in a format that is acceptable for submission to an agent or publisher. I get it as close as I can, and from then on I work in Word. Compile is a bit of a dark art.

I agree that Compile is a little too complicated; I think I finally have my settings to where my projects look identical to what an agent or editor would expect.

noisebloom

Well done. Never managed that.

In Scrivener 3, the most helpful thing for me to learn was to uncheck the "Override text and notes formatting" in the "Edit Format" menu for your text sections. That will make your compile look very similar to the text sections you type in when working on your writing. On the other hand, you can also check that same box to set up the font in the "Edit Format" menu if you want to change it to look like something else.

At that point, the trick is to assign the appropriate sections you want/need by using "Assign Section Layouts". The only thing special my "Section Text" does is automatically add the Section Title to the top of each section, which ends up being my chapter numbers/titles.

Last edited: