Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Scriptwriting rules stops me showing what I want ? (1 Viewer)

Hey all,

I've got a particular scene in my head for a film, and I'm trying to write it down in word.

The problem is with the rules of scriptwriting. I understand that you don't direct the camera or say things like "camera pans left" or something along those lines, so how does one draw the focus onto something in particular ?

I'll give an example...

I have a sniper looking through his scope, focusing on his current target to be (which is what I want the audience to see, rather then them watching a guy looking through his sniper, they need to be looking through it themselves), but when he pulls the trigger I want the closeup on the finger pulling the trigger, so we don't see who gets shot.

Reason for this is because I'm toying with having this scene at the very beginning.

Anyone able to help, or is it a case of 'Write down what you want people to see' ?

Kimba

I'd write exactly what the person sees and does without the camera direction. In the case of the sniper, I'd probably write ...

The SNIPER looks through his scope, focusing on TARGET. He sees TARGET walking down street. He gently wraps his finger around the trigger and pulls it.

Of course, whether or not the director will follow the script description will be up to him/her. Does that help?

Last edited:

mammamaia

only the character's name should be in all-caps... and then only the first time he/she appears... objects do not go in all-caps... and most screenwriters don't put sfx in them any more, either...

Ok thanks. I think I understand how to do it.

I'll have to do is post a preview of the first 2 pages or something and then let people give me tips, correct me on whats wrong, what not to do etc

Kimba

mammamaia said:
only the character's name should be in all-caps... and then only the first time he/she appears... objects do not go in all-caps... and most screenwriters don't put sfx in them any more, either...

Yes, sorry. Once again, I was going by the Australian script format. I gotta keep remembering that this is an international forum ...

I only mentioned "target" in caps because the target didn't have a name [I'm assuming it's a person].

mammamaia

i got the 'target' bit and that was ok... many minor characters are 'named' only by what they are, not who... like 'COP' and COP#2' and such...

and i also forgot that australian format is somewhat different from its h'wood counterpart...

hugs, m