Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Sci-fi, with a catch (1 Viewer)

GhostLad

I've been a reader for a while, but most Sci-fi novels seemed a little too engrosed in, consomed by, and fixated on their setting (namely Dune). I tend to like sci-fi novels with a focus on character relationships and development, like in Ender's Game.

Reccomendations? :-?

Shade53

The rest of the Ender series, William Gibson (neuromancer, mona lisa overdrive, burning chrome etc), PK Dick (do androids dream of electric sheep/bladerunner), some Heinlein (time enough for love - though it's a bit screwy in it's psychosis), those off the top of my head because they're my favorites...

~S

Stewart

GhostLad, if you want characters, then try Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. He doesn't usually write sci-fi but this book certainly has such tones while being, predominantly, about the characters.

Mike C

WF Veterans
Connor Wolf said:
GhostLad, if you want characters, then try Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. He doesn't usually write sci-fi but this book certainly has such tones while being, predominantly, about the characters.

I'd like to roam your library, Connor - you come up with some great choices.

I'd recommend Blindness by Jose Saramago. He's Portugese, he's got a nobel lit prize, he's bloody excellent.

GhostLad

Thanks for the recomendations, everybody. I'll be sure to check out ye olde local library.

I've also been interested in Starship Troopers for the social alegory that it is. Are there any other sci-fi books like that?

Mike C

WF Veterans
GhostLad said:
I've also been interested in Starship Troopers for the social alegory that it is. Are there any other sci-fi books like that?

A vast number of SF novels have been written as allegory, commentary or satire.

Brave New World
Any of Moorcock's 'Jerry Cornelius' books
In fact any of Moorcock's books, which pretty much all revolve around a single multiverse (why does that sound so weird?)
Gulliver's Travels

Anarkos

Iain M Banks' sci-fi tends to mix character and setting. Bizarre dysfunctional family problems are a favourite of his...as are characters with identity problems and so on.

Stewart

Mike C said:
I'd like to roam your library, Connor - you come up with some great choices.

Thanks, Mike. Unfortunately, there is no library at the moment. The majority of my books are in storage. There's a small collection building up again though, while I wait to unpack: more Ishiguro, Steinbeck, Jeanette Winterson, Patrick McGrath, Richard Yates, John Fante, Vikram Seth, David Mitchell, and Chinua Achebe.