Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

sci-fi storywriter looking to connect (1 Viewer)

SteveTheAviator

Hello,

I'm primarily interested in connecting with folks who study story and character. This includes the character web, arc, and moral argument, and acts. I've grown out of the "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" write-as-you-go era, and am now concerned in crafting a gripping story.

I enjoy emotionally effective stories, in literature, games, or other media.

Lets chat!

Kimoco

Hi! I'm a romance seat of the pants writer and I want to know if you think writing this way is less effective than being a plotter? Because I tried being a plotter and, even though I need a general timeline, I find it flows better as seat of the pants. I mean, I got a whole novel out of me within 4 months... But I find some things are missing, so maybe it's the plotter side? Let me know! And even though I don't write sci-fi, I enjoy it, so we may still be able to chat! ;)

SteveTheAviator

Hey Kimoco. I think its easy at first to write as you go, but I've always hit roadblocks. Some may misinterpret it as writer's block. But really it's a lack of knowing where to go next. So I took a year to read character development and story books and looked back at one of my stories and found it was a mess compared to what I'd learned. If I had continued writing it, it would have been a longer mess.

I personally feel better with developing the characters and theme, then story with plot, and pegging events to a board until I can see how it may play. As creatives, we come up with ideas all the time. But not all will make good stories.

So, I prefer to spend my time ensuring the story is worth writing before I give it my heart and soul and time. That's what I like.

It's nice to meet you!

JimmyTheAlien

Hello,

I'm primarily interested in connecting with folks who study story and character. This includes the character web, arc, and moral argument, and acts. I've grown out of the "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" write-as-you-go era, and am now concerned in crafting a gripping story.

I enjoy emotionally effective stories, in literature, games, or other media.

Lets chat!
I'm currently working on a sci fi drama/romance :)
we should chat

Kimoco

Hey Kimoco. I think its easy at first to write as you go, but I've always hit roadblocks. Some may misinterpret it as writer's block. But really it's a lack of knowing where to go next. So I took a year to read character development and story books and looked back at one of my stories and found it was a mess compared to what I'd learned. If I had continued writing it, it would have been a longer mess.

I personally feel better with developing the characters and theme, then story with plot, and pegging events to a board until I can see how it may play. As creatives, we come up with ideas all the time. But not all will make good stories.

So, I prefer to spend my time ensuring the story is worth writing before I give it my heart and soul and time. That's what I like.

It's nice to meet you!
I see, I agree with the roadblocks, when it happens to me, I just stop writing and do the many other things I have to do in life; children, pets, chicken, home, $ gathering job...etc.and then somewhere in all that, an idea comes and let's me start again. I've written comics before, and what I did was "storyboard" each chapter before jumping into it, so I guess in writing it would be the plotting part. I ask because I started writing another story and I'm blocked already. So I think I'll try plotting it, even if its just a little bit. Thanks!

SteveTheAviator

Oh, yes. What sucks is there's equal ammounts of concise and confusing information in the wild. Understanding an act, then 3-act structure was most challenging for me because there's so many templates and everyone uses different terms for the same events. Ans some templates are simply wrong. I've had to mesh Truby, Blake Snyder's beat sheet, several generic outlines, and Harmon's story circle to get a checklist that works for me.

SteveTheAviator

I took a year learning character and story. The next year was was re-reading the best of those while piecing together an outline template from those sources and the internet. The story clock is a great way to check your work, but I havent seen a great need to start with it. Again thats me. It took me a long time to truly understand story and structure.

Fascinating conversation. There is truly no mystery deeper in the universe than the enigma of human character. What are the factors at play, deep down? Is it astrological placements? Mythological archetypes formed from the collective unconscious? Ultimately, in trying to answer these questions, as storytellers, we ourselves are thrust into the great human drama unfolding that is life. And the stories we are telling become part of our reality, and life imitates art, and art imitates life.
I do think there has to be a prudent ratio between structured plotting vs, fly by the seat character driven riffing. Try to put your entire heart, soul and strength into your stories right from the start, and have faith that the universe will take you on an amazing adventure.

Fascinating conversation. There is truly no mystery deeper in the universe than the enigma of human character. What are the factors at play, deep down? Is it astrological placements? Mythological archetypes formed from the collective unconscious? Ultimately, in trying to answer these questions, as storytellers, we ourselves are thrust into the great human drama unfolding that is life. And the stories we are telling become part of our reality, and life imitates art, and art imitates life.
I do think there has to be a prudent ratio between structured plotting vs, fly by the seat character driven riffing. Try to put your entire heart, soul and strength into your stories right from the start, and have faith that the universe will take you on an amazing adventure.
That's what I do, anyway! Nice to meet you both.

qwuibble

A very admirable and noble venture, indeed! I myself am struggling immensely with plotting and general organization, so it's encouraging to see that it isn't just that I'm a tragic, pathetic failure of a human with no right to even the idea of creativity, but that it happens. I don't know how prevalent it is, but I'm glad that you seem to have pulled yourself out of the miry clay! Could you summarize your findings? What was the break for you? Do you just keep on finding resources and researching how to do it? Where do you begin???

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
A very admirable and noble venture, indeed! I myself am struggling immensely with plotting and general organization, so it's encouraging to see that it isn't just that I'm a tragic, pathetic failure of a human with no right to even the idea of creativity, but that it happens. I don't know how prevalent it is, but I'm glad that you seem to have pulled yourself out of the miry clay! Could you summarize your findings? What was the break for you? Do you just keep on finding resources and researching how to do it? Where do you begin???
Struggling with plotting has no relationship with creativity. I've got plenty of creativity, and I've been a bit stuck for a while now on the next thing to do with the mystery I'm plotting. It happens. I'd have plowed through it, but enough other things are taking priority right now that I just haven't forced myself to sit and put my mind to it, and that's what it takes.

SteveTheAviator

@qwuibble , its just skill and knowlege. Both can be learned. But it's like going to college. Absorbing the information, and practicing it, both take time.

Imagine trying to write songs, having never played. You may hit notes that sound good by themselves, but your ending sucks or you cant make a transition, and altogether can't make something like you'd hear on the radio. Learning chord construction, tables, diminished sounds, and structure-work like chorus, pre-chorus, bridge, solo, etc., you can see the advantage over not having that information.

You don't suck. But like I said, it is a learned skill and knowlege. So the frustration is understandable if you're having problems. Some folks are natural storytellers, which makes the rest of us think we can do it the same way.

What's not learnable is talent and creativity.