Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Scariest books ever? (1 Viewer)

enron1982

What are the 3 scariest books you've ever read, one's that lingered after you read them?

For me:

1. The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty -Sadly the only book he ever wrote and it's ridiculously eerie and terrifying.
2. It by Stephen King-Though i don't care for the end so much and as they're older its not as scary, the first half of this book is just crazy to me.
3. Pet Sematary- by stephen King-some of the prose in this is really quite haunting. classic.

SFeigley

Well being that King is probably the only horror writer I have ever read I guess my three would be as follows:

1. The Shining - It was just so ridiculously creepy.
  2. The Dark Half - As it was said somewhere else on this forum Stark was just such a badass.
  3. The Monkey - Short story I had on audio book as part of the skeleton crew series. Creeped me out. Probably still would.

Mira

Pet Sematery-Stephen King

Actually thought of that before I opened the thread and read that. But that book is absolutely terrifying. Had to sleep with a light on for weeks afterwards, and still can't really think about it too much without freaking out a little.

boongee

wow, Pet Sematary for myself as well. I didn't think it was that scary, though, I just haven't really read anything scarier. Haven't read much horror at all, aside from all those Goosebumps books when I was a kid.

T

Truth-Teller

Wow. That's ironic.

Pet Semetary was the most boringest book I've ever read. I rate it up there with Insomnia.

T

Truth-Teller

1. Night Shift
2. The Girl Next Door
3. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Dancer Preston

Oh yeah, Dracula by Bram Stoker-- by far one of the most scary novels I have read in recent memory.

Also, I don't dare read anything by Edgar Allan Poe at night. Truly scary!

Johnna

Cujo made me stay awake all night after I finished it. I also couldn't read it alone; I had to sit next to someone. It was creepy. I don't know why.

SFeigley

Just thought of another one that I thought was pretty scary and twisted:

Hop-Frog by Edgar Alan Poe

Although it's not one of my favorites by him, I thought it was particularly twisted.

T

Truth-Teller

There is no such thing as Hop-Frog, in Poe's collection of short stories.

boongee

Jekyll & Hyde is an interesting one. I read it recently. It didn't come to mind when I came in this topic, though. It wasn't typical horror but it was still scary in a sense I guess. It would have probably been a lot better if I didn't already know the basic story before I read the book.

L

little_berlios

Apt Pupil in that Stephen King novella gave me chills. The movie freaked me out too- Ian McKellen as a Nazi? Yikes!

As an aside, the cover for my copy of Carrie is horrific- blank staring eyes with blood coating her face. Eesh. That movie sucked btw.

Johnnyelvis

Greeleys Cove by John Gideon. The most insane, fucked up, sickest book I have ever read. Damm, just thinking about it now makes my skin crawl.

Last edited: