Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Scapple - A good program for visual planners (1 Viewer)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
After a few days of trialing Scapple from Literature & Latte I found that I liked it so much and the price was reasonable so I bought it far before the trial end date.

I'm terrible at planning because I'm perfectionistic, forgetful, and disorganized which is a horrible combination. So I simply considered myself a pantser and ran myself into a lot of problems. As it turns out, I hate linear thinking when I'm trying to 'see' a story in my head. So outLINES and timeLINES feel very restrictive just by their shape. I've wanted to pursue the post-it notes on the wall techinque and give myself stepping-stones to get through the story.

And along came Scapple. It's a little like mind-mapping but more like a murder board, completely freeform. Ever since I started playing with it a few days ago the plan for my novel has been growing really quickly. It's like seeing the various connections, or where there need to be connections, in the context of the whole thing helps me to make the decisions I need to make.

That's a breakthrough in my world.

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
I like Scapple as well. I've used it to plan out web sites and tasks for large projects, and I can see its potential for writing projects. Only cost me about $15.

Made by the folks who make Scrivener.

Terra

Giving Scapple a whirl too:) I use free form idea bubbling (there's probably a more professional name for the process) and it works great, but I'm also a techy and feel way more organized on my computer(s) than scrambling to find that f***ing piece of paper!

LadySilence

Very interesting.
I already use Scrivener, and I'm very happy with it.
I'll try it.
I need a program that helps me organize the structure of my novels.
I tend to be often very chaotic, because I use paper and pen for certain things.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Giving Scapple a whirl too:) I use free form idea bubbling (there's probably a more professional name for the process) and it works great, but I'm also a techy and feel way more organized on my computer(s) than scrambling to find that f***ing piece of paper!
That's exactly my problem! I lose the piece of paper or else I can find it but I can't move around the bubbles and lines I've already made (so that's where the post-its would have worked better) but now that I am using this Scapple program forget it. I'm hooked. I love being able to move everything around easily and rename/rewrite things...and find this when I want it. LOL it's kind of fun, really!

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Ooh yeah those are tough on compatibility. Also on the eyes. I don't know how you do the little screen.

Actually, I bought the small Chromebook to use as a tablet about 10 years ago. At that time I also had a large Windows laptop and two large monitors. So it was great, for using in bed to read, on the couch, in an airport, or in the car during ferry lineup etc. I find it more functional than a tablet. Then when I retired two years ago, I had to return all my work equipment. I struggled with the little one for a while, but eventually I went out and bought a 17" Lenovo Chromebook. I really like the Chromebooks. Really great interface, very clean and orderly looking. My little Chromebook, over 10 years old still works at exactly the same speed it did when I bought it. Their sort of like the poor man's MAC.

But since I have been consulting, I have found it a bit of a problem, since all the documents must be in Microsoft. So likely I will have to buy another Windows based one as well.

I'm sure eventually Scapple will create a version for Chromebooks.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
BOO!! You have a great system going already, so I suppose why fix something that isn't broken?

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with my system. I like the tactile feeling of hand writing on the post-its. And the Excel spreadsheet I use is very verstaile and custom designed to respond to my own quirky way of thinking. I keep adding columns everytime I want to track something new. Like today, I added a column for character shifts, so I can track each time a character has a change that works towards their growth. I can filter each one individually, to see if their transformation is realistic. It's fun creating your own system too.

But I will try Scapple if I get a Windows computer.