Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Salut (1 Viewer)

Hello from Albuquerque, New Mexico. First time here. Hoping to make some contacts that could steer me down the publishing road. I am planning on publishing a digital book for kids. Have questions about licensing and need-to-knows. For examlple. I have written my book using MS Word, used a few fonts that came with my system (or may have downloaded, can't remember) in the book, and am wondering if I have to seek some kind of licensing from somebody to use the fonts. Also, since I plan to publish the book in Adobe PDF format, do I need some kind of licensing from them too? Please and thank you.

Maybe. More a name than anything else. At one time in my early life I dreamed of working for the United Nations as a simultaneous translator. Now, I'm just a language enthusiast who picks up words and phrases here and there. Don't really claim to speak any particular language, except English, of course.

Nickie

WF Veterans
Hi there, MrPolyglot, and welcome to the forum! As for your questions, as long as you have a licence for the programs you use, you don't have to pay them anything. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to PM me, perhaps I can be of help.

Nickie

mammamaia

i'm old, so humor me... what's a 'digital book'???

oh, and welcome to the site!

love and hugs, maia

A digital book is any book that is in computer format. The most common format, and the one I plan to publish my book in, is Adobe(R) PDF format. A digital book has the same appearance as a traditionally bound book, but is viewed entirely on computer, but can also be augmented with other media, such as audio, video, and other external venues such a website. Oh yeah, you most commonly need a computer to open and read the file.

Hi, thanks for responding. Sounds like you know alot. Have you done any digital publishing before? I know traditionally published/bound books need an barcode that contains the isbn number of the book; do you know if a digital book needs a barcode as well? Doesn't seem like a digital book would be handled in that same manner for selling. I know the barcodes are used to expedite the handling/selling of books, but digital books are already managed quite well in a vendors information system. Any information? Please and thank you.