Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

*Said I will take a break from WF* So anyway... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
I have been working on/understanding outlining and story structure, thats where my original novel went south. That and the lack of certainty. I will be honest with you, my confidence as been low as of late. I think I have good ideas and I have laid out the main points in my new coming rewrite. I actually have things I can work toward and build of off instead of a sheet of random ideas and imbalanced scene placement. There are still plenty of things I don't know regarding my story, I will need to figure out a long the way, that is the pantser in me.
yet I still dont believe I have the ability to properly convey my ideas. I have gotten much better since i've started, and yeah I understand story structure, particularly the 3 act structure. BUT i'm sitting here like 😬
Maybe its just a confidence issue I need to get over. People have been very nice on here and have told me my writing isnt bad/ its actually (somewhat) good. And thank you.
I'm starting my new piece very soon and my writing habit will be back, i'm word counting to better reach my goals. I am excited for this project but also, in a way, not. I just want to complete a work this time around.( its starting as a novella😬)
I was thinking about posting the beginning to the inciting incident and see what you'll think...
Got any tips on how to GTF over your self confidence issue? (I'm starting my project regardless, I just wanna know your personal experiences/ways of coping) :)

EDIT
So earlier this week I planned to start writing Monday, but before I posted, I was playing with the idea of starting sooner. I had some free time at work and guess I wanted to gripe on last time before heading in. This probably wasn't the best post but it was what I was thinking at the time. I went home, took a shower and thought, I will just start writing today. So I did, spent the whole evening writing. I forgot how long it takes me to write 500 words....lol.
To infinity and beyond...

Last edited:

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Hi Kegan,
I live with my lack of self confidence. There are times when I just force myself to say what the hell. There is a book called 'Feel the Fear and do it Anyway.'
Good luck
BC
seems to be an illness everyone has. Sometimes its worse than others. I will probably have to ignore the constant voice that will tell me its terrible and write anyway. I just want to be excited about the story and not worry so much if its any good. Editing is a thing lol.
and thank you :)

robertn51

Friends of WF
So yeah I do that, too -- "take a break from WF" -- every morning. This place should come with ride-tickets. When you're out of tickets, you have to wait until the next day. Or week. Or something.

(Makes a note for Tech Support to add Member On-Site Time Throttles. And, to make it a real snarl, Members can give their site time to other Members. Place might end up looking like a Hopkins-Middle East Baltimore street corner. C'mon man just a damn few minutes will ya? I'll pay back double when we re-up on Monday...)

But this is what made my drive-by skid to a stop as I wasn't here, not snagged at all again by the damned "New Posts" filter. This...
Got any tips on how to GTF over your self confidence issue?

Because getting over my self confidence issue would take a bone saw and melon baller. I'd pop the top and scoop out those parts of my foamy consciousness-thing that are constantly hooting, "Wow, man, do you ever suck!" and snickering "Oooo lah-de-dah and who do we think we are today?" and shrieking "OMG woodja lookit that stupid WordCrime®!" at every opportunity.

So I have no tips. Because I hope my problem isn't yours.

I do however, have an observation.

Close your eyes.
Open them.
(we won't talk about how you read that)

Now. Read this next. Read it like you've never seen it before.
I think I have good ideas and I have laid out the main points in my new coming rewrite. I actually have things I can work toward and build of off instead of a sheet of random ideas and imbalanced scene placement. There are still plenty of things I don't know regarding my story, I will need to figure out a long the way, that is the pantser in me. I have gotten much better since i've started, and yeah I understand story structure, particularly the 3 act structure.

Sounds pretty fine, no? Like someone all gloved up and bouncing off the stool and banging on the ropes and prancing, flashing the footwork, ready for the bell to let him leap in and just simply and supremely Bring It.

Doesn't it?

It's what you wrote, of course.

Except for the line I snipped out, the line that's poisoning you. Probably.

So. Maybe deal with that line?

Okay, okay. Here it is:
[Y]et I still dont believe I have the ability to properly convey my ideas.

Break down that line and you have potent things to work with.

Just think of what each of these words
Properly​
Ideas​
Convey​
Yet/Still/Believe​
is causing

Think of their "molecular acids" eating into everything, turning it into dripping fizzing sludge, eating through the floor, the ceiling below, plopping onto the ceiling below's floor, and so on, until it reaches the outer hull and lets in all the life-ending vacuum of space. The End. Roll credits.

Either that or

Don't "convey" anything at all; do show, evoke, and see "shipping containers," below.

It's never "properly"; it's always and never more than your best and your judgment about your aim and your creation. And then you change and do it again.

"Yet/still/believe turns into "rational expectation" with practice. Only. It's a tender & tentative first, "I think I can...," and after a while builds to, "Hold my beer..."

And that inert turd, "ideas"; propaganda? inspiration? feeling? Name it! "Idea" is like an empty shipping container. Are we flinging shipping containers at our readers or are we evoking experience?

"So anyway..." You're on the right track. Stop talking. Start doing. Learning is collaborative to a point. Then you must be quiet and alone and do your thing, not ours. Start doing. And listen first to what you are saying.

Omigawd, was this all for me?

[2021-08-12 1609]

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
So yeah I do that, too -- "take a break from WF" -- every morning. This place should come with ride-tickets. When you're out of tickets, you have to wait until the next day. Or week. Or something.

(Makes a note for Tech Support to add Member On-Site Time Throttles. And, to make it a real snarl, Members can give their site time to other Members. Place might end up looking like a Hopkins-Middle East Baltimore street corner. C'mon man just a damn few minutes will ya? I'll pay back double when we re-up on Monday...)

But this is what made my drive-by skid to a stop as I wasn't here, not snagged at all again by the damned "New Posts" filter. This...

Because getting over my self confidence issue would take a bone saw and melon baller. I'd pop the top and scoop out those parts of my foamy consciousness-thing that are constantly hooting, "Wow, man, do you ever suck!" and snickering "Oooo lah-de-dah and who do we think we are today?" and shrieking "OMG woodja lookit that stupid WordCrime®!" at every opportunity.

So I have no tips. Because I hope my problem isn't yours.

I do however, have an observation.

Close your eyes.
Open them.
(we won't talk about how you read that)

Now. Read this next. Read it like you've never seen it before.

Sounds pretty fine, no? Like someone all gloved up and bouncing off the stool and banging on the ropes and prancing, flashing the footwork, ready for the bell to let him leap in and just simply and supremely Bring It.

Doesn't it?

It's what you wrote, of course.

Except for the line I snipped out, the line that's poisoning you. Probably.

So. Maybe deal with that line?

Okay, okay. Here it is:

Yeah I seem like a confidence in one sentence then turn around and say im not in another. quite an oxymoron really but thats human beings for ya. Yeah im too whiny. I'm not sure what I'm asking. I think I just like to complain and talk about myself too much ;)😂
Don't "convey" anything at all; do show, evoke, and see "shipping containers," below.

It's never "properly"; it's always and never more than your best and your judgment about your aim and your creation. And then you change and do it again.

"Yet/still/believe turns into "rational expectation" with practice. Only. It's a tender & tentative first, "I think I can...," and after a while builds to, "Hold my beer..."

And that inert turd, "ideas"; propaganda? inspiration? feeling? Name it! "Idea" is like an empty shipping container. Are we flinging shipping containers at our readers or are we evoking experience?
I'd be lying if I said I knew what you mean😆 excuse me, i am a bit slow. I try.
"So anyway..." You're on the right track. Stop talking. Start doing. Learning is collaborative to a point. Then you must be quiet and alone and do your thing, not ours. Start doing. And listen first to what you are saying.
you aint wrong. that's why i'm not posting any work ATM. Trying to focus on what I can do and what I want. Enjoy the process, not stress about how every line being complete gar-bage.
thanks~

KatPC

Just think of what each of these words
Properly​
Ideas​
Convey​
Yet/Still/Believe​

As always, great advice.

Yeah I seem like a confidence in one sentence then turn around and say im not in another. quite an oxymoron really but thats human beings for ya. Yeah im too whiny. I'm not sure what I'm asking. I think I just like to complain and talk about myself too much ;)😂

I'd be lying if I said I knew what you mean😆 excuse me, i am a bit slow. I try.

Hey Kegan. In writing, no matter how big or small, always break everything down into small parts. Writing is a sum of many small parts glued together by one goal - Your story. It is very common that many of us don't find that urge to create and write, and fall into bad habits, which is why writing is so rewarding when you finish, or write a piece that others can say 'Wow that was amazing.'

KeganThompson said:
Yet I still don't believe I have the ability to properly convey my ideas.

Breaking down this sentence, @robertn51 is pointing to the fact that you have all the answers you need, just that you haven't seen them yet.
Properly​
Ideas​
Convey​
Yet/Still/Believe​
(I would add Ability too) but in writing you should never convey your story, but show it, not tell it, it's a common phrase - 'Show, don't tell')
In all don't worry but simply jump into your story. Start and make mistakes, then see the mistakes to make it a great tale for everyone to see. I am a pantser, like you, and as a suggestion, have your story in your mind, the basic plot and key events, keep them loose and let your mind go. If you don't want to write the start, then write the middle, something that you want, and piece it together later, it is only by starting can you get the creative juices flowing, and find that time to set aside just to write my story. You will love it.

Have fun!

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
As always, great advice.

Hey Kegan. In writing, no matter how big or small, always break everything down into small parts. Writing is a sum of many small parts glued together by one goal - Your story. It is very common that many of us don't find that urge to create and write, and fall into bad habits, which is why writing is so rewarding when you finish, or write a piece that others can say 'Wow that was amazing.'
Yes, I completely agree. Right now I want to focus on the first act, or else I will get overwhelmed. I had to sit down and learn about story structure before I felt comfortable with jumping back in. I was a bit confused at first but now I think it has settled in and I understand. It just took some time ingest all that info about story structure. My previous work had bad structure and pacing so that was something I noticed and really wanted to get a grasp on before I tried again.
Even if it was just one person I would love it if someone thought my work was amazing
KeganThompson said:
Yet I still don't believe I have the ability to properly convey my ideas.

Breaking down this sentence, @robertn51 is pointing to the fact that you have all the answers you need, just that you haven't seen them yet.
Properly​
Ideas​
Convey​
Yet/Still/Believe​
(I would add Ability too) but in writing you should never convey your story, but show it, not tell it, it's a common phrase - 'Show, don't tell')
When I say convey I mean have the skill to execute the idea I want to write. And express it in a way that is understandable without doing the newbie mistakes. Like telling/showing. Although that is tempting, there is so much to write but you gotta be smart on how you do it or its just info dump. I had an issue with that before. So that is something I had worked on to not do. I gotta slowly add thing and figure out when in where
In all don't worry but simply jump into your story. Start and make mistakes, then see the mistakes to make it a great tale for everyone to see. I am a pantser, like you, and as a suggestion, have your story in your mind, the basic plot and key events, keep them loose and let your mind go. If you don't want to write the start, then write the middle, something that you want, and piece it together later, it is only by starting can you get the creative juices flowing, and find that time to set aside just to write my story. You will love it.
Honestly the thought of not writing in order freaks me out. I know some people do it but I personal don't think it would benefit me, just make it so much harder. So kudos to who can do that. When I brainstorm I jump around, but as far as writing goes I'd rather start from the beginning and continue. I can see myself editing as a draft though.
Have fun!
Thank you! I just started my new project and I'm just doing my best to let it flow :)
I hope you post something in the workshop soon (if you haven't already)

Megan Pearson

Man, eh. What Rocky, I mean, robert51 said. The whole thing, not just this:

Bears repeating.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Man, eh. What Rocky, I mean, robert51 said. The whole thing, not just this:

Bears repeating.
I started writing it today. I actually planned for for Monday so, whooo.
My goal is 500 words atleast. I just wanted to complain one last time before restarting my journey... (😆)
Anywho these words won't write themselves ;)

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Got any tips on how to GTF over your self confidence issue? (I'm starting my project regardless, I just wanna know your personal experiences/ways of coping) :)
Some writers never do, even successful pros with decades of experience. Some writers have great self-confidence but no ability whatsoever. LOL There's no "one size fits all" formula, and no guarantees. If you go read my interview, you'll see I started out not worrying about this. I put myself in a situation where I had to produce, and I did that. I improved as I got more experience.

All you can do is write and put it out there. If you need improvement, your feedback will guide you to where. As you get to the point where people are just saying, "I enjoyed this read", you're there. That's when you'll know if you're one of the writers who can accept your skill and relax, or one of the paranoid writers who continue to write well, but always worry about it. ;-)

JBF

Staff member
Global Moderator

You'll probably hate me for this one, but today's fortune cookie says self-confidence issues only exists outside the story.

When you're writing, you're the one with the big hammer. Nobody's going to swing it if you don't. Even if somebody else has the blueprint and vision they won't do it with the same conviction and drive.

Until you close the document you're the supreme power in your fictional world. Be the boss. Go forth. Do boss stuff.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
For me, in writing, for ages I had a ... it wasn't even a self-confidence issue, it was more a fundamental belief that people like me Just Didn't Write. We just didn't. Who did I think I was, Oscar Wilde? And yet I had ll these thoughts and ideas. Then one day I got angry that all I seemed to be good at was daydreaming. Then I leaned into that by writing stories based around those dreamings.

So: anger. Anger helped me push against the self-belief barrier, but by then I wasn't angry any more, I was excited :) I do have a sense that I know what I want to achieve and won't rest 'til I achieve it, which keeps me going. It's a sense that I too have the ability to create something and put it out into the world, and a desire to act on that.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
For me, in writing, for ages I had a ... it wasn't even a self-confidence issue, it was more a fundamental belief that people like me Just Didn't Write. We just didn't. Who did I think I was, Oscar Wilde? And yet I had ll these thoughts and ideas. Then one day I got angry that all I seemed to be good at was daydreaming. Then I leaned into that by writing stories based around those dreamings.
I have no idea what you mean by "people like me." 🤣
Yeah I was always a daydreamer until daydreaming wasn't enough and I wanted to figure out a way to write a bit of what I was dreaming about~ EVen though I stopped writing for a while, I never stopped daydreaming and telling myself stories.
I do have a sense that I know what I want to achieve and won't rest 'til I achieve it, which keeps me going. It's a sense that I too have the ability to create something and put it out into the world, and a desire to act on that.
Yes, I feel the same way. :)

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Some writers never do, even successful pros with decades of experience. Some writers have great self-confidence but no ability whatsoever. LOL There's no "one size fits all" formula, and no guarantees. If you go read my interview, you'll see I started out not worrying about this. I put myself in a situation where I had to produce, and I did that. I improved as I got more experience.
I probably should'nt have posted this, I got bored at work and was in my thoughts. I wanted to whine one last time before I started writing. originally planned to start Monday, but I was thinking, nah lets do t today. And when I got home I sat down and met my goal of 500 words. I forgot how long it took me to write, I get up and move around when I write, that doesn't help with how long it takes me lol but it helps me brainstorm.
All you can do is write and put it out there. If you need improvement, your feedback will guide you to where. As you get to the point where people are just saying, "I enjoyed this read", you're there. That's when you'll know if you're one of the writers who can accept your skill and relax, or one of the paranoid writers who continue to write well, but always worry about it. ;-)
I need to learn to trust myself and trust the process...and be patient. I draw (not as much as I should) But I have a sense of confidence that I am willing to just start painting without an outline/ sketch. -depending on my mood and idea of course- I don't have that with writing yet, and I'm working on getting there. Comparing my earlier work of this year to now has helped me gain some confidence. Though I have a lot to work on, I came a long way. Would it be arrogant to say that I am a bit impressed with how much I have improved just in 7/8 months? Haha, I still have a hard time expressing what I want to say still but my writing is much cleaner at least.

Tettsuo

WF Veterans
I have been working on/understanding outlining and story structure, thats where my original novel went south. That and the lack of certainty. I will be honest with you, my confidence as been low as of late. I think I have good ideas and I have laid out the main points in my new coming rewrite. I actually have things I can work toward and build of off instead of a sheet of random ideas and imbalanced scene placement. There are still plenty of things I don't know regarding my story, I will need to figure out a long the way, that is the pantser in me.
yet I still dont believe I have the ability to properly convey my ideas. I have gotten much better since i've started, and yeah I understand story structure, particularly the 3 act structure. BUT i'm sitting here like 😬
Maybe its just a confidence issue I need to get over. People have been very nice on here and have told me my writing isnt bad/ its actually (somewhat) good. And thank you.
I'm starting my new piece very soon and my writing habit will be back, i'm word counting to better reach my goals. I am excited for this project but also, in a way, not. I just want to complete a work this time around.( its starting as a novella😬)
I was thinking about posting the beginning to the inciting incident and see what you'll think...

EDIT
So earlier this week I planned to start writing Monday, but before I posted, I was playing with the idea of starting sooner. I had some free time at work and guess I wanted to gripe on last time before heading in. This probably wasn't the best post but it was what I was thinking at the time. I went home, took a shower and thought, I will just start writing today. So I did, spent the whole evening writing. I forgot how long it takes me to write 500 words....lol.
To infinity and beyond...
Outlining gives me confidence, because I know where I'm going with the story. Even if I decide to break from the outline, I generally have a plan in mind when I've created the outline. That, and having a theme. With a theme, I know overall what I'm trying to say with the story.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Outlining gives me confidence, because I know where I'm going with the story. Even if I decide to break from the outline, I generally have a plan in mind when I've created the outline. That, and having a theme. With a theme, I know overall what I'm trying to say with the story.
yes, i plan to work on my outline while writing. change it while my story is changing. im pantising the majority of it. wheee

Lawless

[---]
seems to be an illness everyone has. [---] I will probably have to ignore the constant voice that will tell me its terrible and write anyway.

Just a shot in the dark, but... any chance you are writing not what you enjoy reading but what you expect someone else would enjoy reading? Meaning, your inner voice is saying "it's terrible" because you are not being true to yourself?

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Just a shot in the dark, but... any chance you are writing not what you enjoy reading but what you expect someone else would enjoy reading? Meaning, your inner voice is saying "it's terrible" because you are not being true to yourself?
Yes and no.
I need to give in to a genre a bit more. I like horror/ thriller movies/ movies with dramatic irony, but I like to read a lot of romancey YA 🤣 So....I'm learning to balance the two in my writing. So far the characters I write are teenagers (I'm 23 btw so writing YA is a lot easier than writing adult fiction) I need to read more romance/ suspense stories, but I just got back into reading and...there is a lot of books out there.
A lot of people on here like sci-fi, fantasy and horror.
I need to quit hating on my romance genre its one of the most, if not the most popular genre (jn general.) I think since my work is YA, I don't want it to come off too "teeny" and eye roll annoying. like some of these teen movies lol
I want it to appeal to a lot of people and not just teens despite the main target audience, especially with darker themes. The question is-is it a romance first/ a suspense second or vis-versa or can they be equal?🤷‍♀️
Maybe just I need to learn to trust myself

Status
Not open for further replies.