Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

sad books? (1 Viewer)

W

writersblock14

I'm intending on writing a book that just makes the reader breakdown and cry. I wanted to know if there were any other books that I could take a look into like this or has this effect?

Aeryn

Night by Elie Wiesel

That is the saddest book I have ever read. Well, that and Where The Red Fern Grows. =]

kerpoe

It is a war book, it is brilliant and everyone at the end of it cries!

IT is called......All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Remarque

R

Ruiner999

Another war novel, A Farewell to Arms. Something about the protagonist's apathy is just saddening to realize.

Ralizah

Re: re:sad books?

kerpoe said:

I remember that book made me cry at the end. It was so awful and boring that when it finally ended I was crying in glee. ^^;

Anyhow, I haven't read 'Night,' but my old girlfriend had, and she said it was emotionally destructive. Take that for what it's worth. I'll read it myself one day.

Zatoichi

kerpoe said:

All Quiet on the Western Front made my break down, that one and also Fallen Angels.

Delight

It seems strange that you would start with that, instead of starting from a point of characterization or even a situational viewpoint.

You are writing *expressly* to make your reader cry? Why bother?

R

Ruiner999

Some of the situations depicted in books are just so overwhelming that they are just hard to read without showing some form of emotional release. All Quiet on the Western is a great book, but it wasn't as devastating as some of the stuff in The Catcher in the Rye, or A Farewell To Arms. Just my two cents, so feel free to disagree.

Drzava

Aeryn said:
Night by Elie Wiesel

That is the saddest book I have ever read. Well, that and Where The Red Fern Grows. =]

A child's account of the Holocaust in which millions were brutally murdered or........some hillbilly's dogs die on him.

:lol:

kerpoe

Zatoichi said:
kerpoe said:

All Quiet on the Western Front made my break down, that one and also Fallen Angels.

Fallen Angels...definately a good one

Saponification

First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung. Story of a girl who survived the atrocities of the Khmer Rouge.

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. It will make you cry for the state of the lit. world.

Parts of Hey Nostradamus!, Douglas Coupland.

Hodge

pliable
Where the Red Fern Grows made me cry (I'm a guy). Night didn't though, and I actually thought the way Wiesel wrote about it made it seem less nasty than it actually was. Of course, I read the former when I was in 4th grade and the latter when I was in 10th, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Umm, The Running Man was really sad near the end, but that's just me...