Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Rusty, old hack here (1 Viewer)

madon

Hi everyone!

I'm going through a life moment right now at the ripe young age of 40, where I'm realizing I've never accomplished the things I always wanted to accomplish when it comes to writing. So, here I am, hoping to learn a thing or two from you fine folks here.

I've always wanted to write fiction since I was a child, but I never had the discipline to sit down and commit to doing it. I dabbled in short stories here and there, none of which were ever completed. I have the same tendency all writers seem to have, in which I am my own worst critic and I can sour on a story idea in an instant. But I very much loved creative writing. Fast forward to the age of 22 and I got a job in journalism, writing for a newspaper. It was a fine job, but I never quite gelled with the style of writing it required. The only place I was able to spread my wings somewhat was in my occasional opinion column. Despite that, I worked my way up to Managing Editor and spent a total of almost 12 years working in the newspaper business.

Since I was constantly writing for the newspaper, the last thing I felt like doing was trying to make time for my creative writing at home. I always told myself I would someday start writing again for fun, but it just never happened. Between life, work, marriage and kids, things sometimes slip by you. It certainly did to me. So it's been a number of years since I've written anything that wasn't news related and I feel like a rusty, old hack.

I'm here now, finally making a committed effort to finally do the thing I've always wanted to do. I want to practice my writing and get to a place where I can work on my first novel. I'm hoping this community can help me in this endeavor and I look forward to getting to know you guys.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I started writing professionally in my early 20s. At that time, I could NEVER have written as well as I do now. The more life experience, the more fuel for intuitive characterization and interesting scenes. So don't feel like you've wasted time. It's like aged liquor. Stays in the cask for twenty years ... comes out full of presence. On top of that, you'd be surprised how many name authors didn't write well until middle-age or later ... for the reason I just mentioned.

Welcome to Writing Forums. It's a great place, and we're delighted to have you join in. :)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Hey, welcome, madon! It sounds to me like you've got some good experience under your belt both in life and in putting words on the page. That isn't a bad place to be at all to get into writing your novel.

Great to have you here!

KeganThompson

I started writing professionally in my early 20s. At that time, I could NEVER have written as well as I do now. The more life experience, the more fuel for intuitive characterization and interesting scenes. So don't feel like you've wasted time. It's like aged liquor. Stays in the cask for twenty years ... comes out full of presence. On top of that, you'd be surprised how many name authors didn't write well until middle-age or later ... for the reason I just mentioned.

Welcome to Writing Forums. It's a great place, and we're delighted to have you join in. :)
I guess that means I wont be able to write anything decent for another ten years or so 😆

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I have the same tendency all writers seem to have, in which I am my own worst critic
If only, trouble is it is the worst ones who tend to think they are perfect :)
You wrote successfully for work, I would suggest it might pay to treat your fiction in a similar way. I think it was Stephen King who used to come home from the day job and write 500 words every evening. Lots of writers also have set periods when they write, like taking the kids to school then writing from 10 to 1 before doing the chores and picking them up. The worst writing seems to happen if there is a late night session that goes on and on. I have done stuff that felt wonderful at the time, but in the cold light of day ...
Anyway, welcome to the forum, hope to see you around, but careful this place can be a great aid to procrastination too :)

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Wow, Maden!! I am super jealous of your career as a journalist. If I could go back in time I would have chosen a similar path. I only dabbled as a journalist when as a CPA, I wrote articles for professional magazines. I just finished the first draft of my first novel and my protagonist is a full-time financial journalist. She's living my dream...lol.

I look forward to your perspective in our writing discussions. There are a number of novelists on the forum, so hopefully, you will find that useful -- I know I did...it helped me get my novel written. Welcome!

KatPC

Welcome @madon! It's fun here, so much so I have to ban myself (twice now) not to come back, to concentrate on my writing but there are many many super talented people here, you will fit right in. Post, reply, read, learn, enjoy.