Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Rumble of thunder, a hero from down under! (1 Viewer)

VigorousMastication

G'day everyone,

I figured I might as well introduce myself; I've been posting my work as a newbie and failed to say hi to everyone, so I feel like a bit of a bum ;). I'm a university student currently residing in Japan after a burnout session involving the death of a family member and a degree I don't really want to be doing. My catharsis involved escaping to the land of the rising sun to party like a rock god and figure out what I want to do with my life.

Recently I've started reading and writing again, after years of forced essays and barely picking up a textbook. I finally feel like I can write without having to wrench the words from my brain, and I'm finally motivated to produce something. I'm not sure that I want to be a writer - actually I think I'm more of a visual person than a writer - but I enjoy it as a form of release, and the high of bringing something to life hooks me in :).

I'm a huge fan of science fiction, but I'm generally a very picky reader. I love the imagination involved in perceiving the future, though I feel that sometimes the language of the genre isn't as accessible as more conventional categories. Unfortunately there's a lot of crap science fiction out there, making me a more jaded reader than most. I enjoy Robert Heinlein and Ray Bradbury; Brave New World was also a good read, and embarrassingly, I've never read 1984. Neil Gaiman - though he writes fantasy - is probably my favourite author at the moment.

Anyways, this ended up longer than I thought it would. Hi to everyone out there, I hope you enjoy my work as much as I enjoyed creating it. If anyone has any suggestions for my writing feel free to offer me comments and criticisms; I'm pretty confident in my work, and critiques will only help me improve.

Cheers!

VM